Cultivated Reef

Sammy's 20G Cube

sammy113

Hi guys, heres a few pics. Nothing has changed, just trying to get some nice shots with my new camera (Nikon D60). Still need to tweak some things and definitely need a macro lens.

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tank is gorgeous, and your LED pendant has given me inspiration for my own cube in the works.

I'd like to see that ADAreef

you will soon enough... i just ordered everything i need for an LED pendant.

How's the Fan noise? 24V fan usually is not quiet. The LED looks really bright with that acrylic canopy, will that blind your eyes when viewing the tank?

Awesome DIY project.

Well is not dead quiet but its not so noisy. It doesn't really bothers me. The acrylic housing has a frosted vinyl that reduces glare a little but I don't really have big spill with optics. I was thinking in replacing it with a solid color vinyl but I like it how it looks. It doesn't blind my eyes when viewing the tank

wow, I always thought these led fixtures were a heck of alot more. I might have to look into this a little more. Thanks for the info!

Heres a few pics of some new additions :D

This is a sunshine chromis. Is a local fish here in Puerto Rico so I got it for $6.

DSC_0007.jpg

Also this blue reef chromis that I got for $4 each (added 2 of them)

DSC_0028-1.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

I also picked up this little fella. Pom Pom Crab. He's so cool. He tried to sting me with his super anemone haha

DSC_0050.jpg

When I added the chromis, my pygmy angel was aggressive to them. I let the lights off until they fund a place and a few hours later I found my Angel in the floor :( Why didn't a $5 freaking damsel jump off the tank and had to be a $18 angel :mad2: I'm mad

Oh yeah and I'm improving with my new Camera tough :)

I'm so exited! I just bough a Vortech MP10. Should be in stock on Tuesday so it will be shipped to me by Wednesday :happydance:

• 3 weeks later...

New Toy :D I'm amazed with this thing. The flow is just incredible. Within just minutes from installing it I saw lots of detritus behind the rockwork that was moving in the water column and removed by the filter sock. Still playing with the modes and waves, I love it

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg

DSC_0324.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I wanted to show off my new skimmer. The first I build works but I need something a little bigger in case I make the jump to the Zeo method system (which I probably will soon) and this requires extra skimming and aeration.

Hey! theres a guy in the back also taking a pic of his skimmer! :lol:

DSC_0476.jpg

DSC_0478.jpg

Making this cone was a PITA!

DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0480.jpg

DSC_0481.jpg

Still right now waiting for the weldon to cure in the last pieces so tomorrow morning will set it up!

Today at college I used their lase cutter to make the skimmer's collection cup cap. Heres a few pics of it

DSC_0490.jpg

DSC_0491.jpg

Look how thin the cut actually is. Almos no waste of material

DSC_0492.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

You don;t really need to sand or anything after the cut

DSC_0494.jpg

Heres a couple of pics of the skimmer working

DSC_0495.jpg

DSC_0497.jpg

DSC_0500.jpg

DSC_0499.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some more pics after 8G water change.

DSC_0847.jpg

DSC_0848.jpg

No, I didn't turned off the pumps or vortech... too lazy

DSC_0851.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

BAD picture of my yellow banded shrimp. Had to at least shoot it cause I rarely see him around

DSC_0864.jpg

DSC_0870-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys I have a question about my Vortech MP10. Don't know if I'm doing something wrong but I'm having a hard time setting up the short pulse mode. When I change the controller to the Blue Ligh (Short Pulse) I set the maximum flow I want (75%) and then press set to save it, then I tune the dial to set the pulse action. I spend a few minutes looking at the wave to form until I reach the desired one. When I finally have everything and press Set again to save those settings it is supposed to blink Blue/Green (thats ok) but it automatically changes the pulse that I just set. Don't think the max flow changes but it definitely changes the pulses. Then I got nothing but a crappy wave cause that flow speed doesn't really match the pulse or tank dimensions for the backdraft and create a nice wave. Any ideas why is this happening?

Archived