SaltCritters.com

MadDevil's BC14 (Retired 7/4/2013)

Maddevil1

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MP10es has been ordered! :) Can't wait to get it in.

Planning to run at at min. w/ my hydor to add some sweet random flow. Then hoping to be able to crank it up every so often to give the tank a good stir during cleaning.

I would be all for the 150W MH but I really want some sort of on tank fixture.

Ceilings are too high to hang a pendant...

Sunpod seems to be my only option, but the only sunpod that looks normal (width wise) on the BC14 is the 70W 16.5" unit. All the 150's are 20" and would hang over 3" on each side. not planning on keeping much, if any SPS, so I'm hoping it will still be enough for all else.

BTW you can check out my tank here :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242744

Nice! You are gonna love the MP10, no doubt. The 150W FNI fixtures come with leg mounts as well or you can do what I did and build a hanging fixture so you dont have to mess with the ceiling. I have a detailed write up in my thread on how I did it. As for the 20" Sunpod, I think the only portion that hangs over are the moonlights, so atleast the MH wouldnt be wasted. But I would go with the hanging fixture.....so you can adjust the height (key in my opinion) and it wont be in the way during water changes. But if you are fo sho you arent going to keep any SPS (which for some reason I am thinking you eventually will) the 70W fixture should be ok.

Going to check your thread and keep tabs on it.

mad,

for some reason I can't stop looking at your profile.

next zoas too.

LOL, thx! Couldnt resist. :lol:

• 1 month later...

Great looking tank. How did you add the moonlights to the MH fixture? I'm thinking of getting the same light and wanted to see how you did it. I'm hoping to be able to get away with just using fans for cooling, have you added a chiller yet?

Great looking tank. How did you add the moonlights to the MH fixture? I'm thinking of getting the same light and wanted to see how you did it. I'm hoping to be able to get away with just using fans for cooling, have you added a chiller yet?

Thanks! I have been not happy with it lately. I fragged a mushroom while it was in the tank, not knowing it was going to spew toxins all over the place. Lost most of my monti species :tears: And now I am getting a ton of bubble algae (not related to the fragging). But slowly I am gaining the love back for it.

As for the moonlights, I bought chrome plated led holders from a local computer electronics store. This is what they look like: http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j00hBREQ...-LED-Holder.jpg Then I bought these blue LEDs from digikits http://www.digikits.com/order/index.php?cP...c78803763100742 I ended up buying too many cause I didnt see that they came in packs on 10! :o You might want to buy the power supply as well or you can buy one from Radio Shack. You'll also need a resistor or even better, a current limiter, I went the resistor route. Do a google search on how to size the resistor for how many LEDs you want and how you are connecting them (series vs parrallel). Then drill a hole in the aluminum plate for the LED holders and connected it all up. If you want to make it look clean like i did, buy some sleeving for the wires. You will be able to run the sleeving with the wires in it through where the power cord runs through, makes it look nice and clean. Just let me know if you have any questions, I would be glad to help. I have conected the moonlights the way I stated above, but for some reason always blow 1 LED, and I am not sure why. I havent decided to mess with it again since one is working, though I am using a lower voltage now on the PS (could be the reason). Oh also, make sure the resistor is not in the MH fixture.......the heat could make it fail.

You should be able to get away with a $6 Massey clip-on from Walmart. I was able to keep my temps at 77F with the fan....but my AC was set to 77F as well. Thats why I decided to buy the chiller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
What's your secret? How do you have such an amazing looking tank? New to the hobby here and could use some advice with my BC 29.

My secret is keep it as simple as possible. Amazing looking tank?! :D THX! I dont mind giving you some advice, what would you like to know? Ask away......

My secret is keep it as simple as possible. Amazing looking tank?! :D THX! I dont mind giving you some advice, what would you like to know? Ask away......

How do you keep your water in check and looking so clean? Any suggestions on coral health and good growth? Do you add anything to your water?

How do you keep your water in check and looking so clean? Any suggestions on coral health and good growth? Do you add anything to your water?

I do 20%-25% water changes every week. Mechanical filtration consists of floss, carbon, purigen and phosguard (carbon and phosguard changed every 2 weeks, purigen every 2 months and floss every other day). Good circulation, good clean-up crew and clean the glass every other day. Most important, use RO/DI water!

For coral health/growth, main things to concentrate on is good lighting, good flow, feeding a variety of foods, and keeping parameters as stable as can be or within an acceptable range. Testing all parameters are important until you get to really know your tank and its requirements, then you can test less often.

During water changes I add Mg to the change water because the store where I get my water from is low in Mg. I also add Potassium Iodide during water changes. Sometimes I skip since I dont measure for this. And every other day I add Tropic Marin BioCalcium - which is a 2 part powder combo, raises dKH and Calc at the same time but mostly Calc.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Tank is looking mighty good!

Where do you have your MP10 mounted?

I got mine on the right side, Towards the front and top. Seems to be the best spot I can come up with.

What mode do you use?

Lately I've been liking the NTM (purple, mode #2 i think)

Where do you have your MP10 mounted?

I seem to change it like every 2 months ;) I think I might have found the best spot now though. Its on the left side mid way down with the return right in front of it. I'll have an updated FTS soon cause the tank looks a bit different now and I added 4 True Violet and 2 Royal Blue LEDs as supplement lighting. As if the 150MH wasnt enough! :o

What mode do you use?

Lately I've been liking the NTM (purple, mode #2 i think)

I use the short pulse mode, with the high being only like a turn more and the frequency turned all the way down for a fast transition. This coupled with the return blowing right in front of it gives me a decent amount and random flow for everything in the tank to love.

i see you are from houston. what part?? where do you get your coral and such? i just got a job near 45 and fuqua

I live in Pearland but work at Johnson Space Center. I normally buy from All About Fish. The owner, Kevin, and I have known each other for about 8 years due to this hobby. I just recently bought some corals from gabe_j and will continue to buy from him as well. How about you? I'll keep you in mind next time I frag some pieces if you are willing to trade.

Great tank and great thread. Can't wait for more updates.

Thanks! Ask and you shall receive.......

i live near the woodlands. i usually go to fish r us(not very good) but sometimes go to Global Leader aquatics in Atascosita. Where is all about fish?

i live near the woodlands. i usually go to fish r us(not very good) but sometimes go to Global Leader aquatics in Atascosita. Where is all about fish?

You are in luck, it's right where you got a job. Its on the feeder between Almeda-Genoa and Fuqua on the southbound side. Warning - it is a bit pricey, but he does have some nice pieces and tanks/water quality is pretty good.

I think i saw it the other day! i might stop by sometime. Im 18 yrs old making $13.00 an hour lol.

Wow 18yrs old and driving all the way down from the Woodlands! Seems like you are working just for your gas! :lol:

i get my gas paid for lmao. i havent started yet lol. ill prolly start next week. its not really that far lol. my grandpa is a big wig with the company and on days i dont have class, ill ride with him.

Tank is looking good!

Oh cool! i think i might actually be going to the office tomorrow or friday to get paperwork done. im kinda short on reef funds right now. how much would ya charge me??

hey mbarton, you should drop by one sat. i live next door to nasa. its a drive but no one leave my tank with out a few nice frags.. isn't that right, md?

Its the truth!! FO SHO

Archived