Cultivated Reef

MadDevil's BC14 (Retired 7/4/2013)

Maddevil1

Looks good, what's your setting for the lights? still toying with mine (have them set at about 60% on the blues and 50% on the whites.

Actually I had them at 50% whites and 65% Blue. I took some frags into my LFS store and the owner told me that my acro needs more light, it browned out (though I do see growth and it could be because I stressed the hell out of it). So since then, I have been testing them both at 100%. Talking with Evil, he mentioned that its equivalent to a 150w MH. So we shall see, I dont see why they couldnt adapt. Most of the corals I buy are under T5 anyways, so I start them on the sand bed for a week then move them up. I also noticed my open brain doesnt have as much blue on the outer portion. Maybe it was because of the lower lighting or lack of UV. Cant wait for UV LEDs to become available! I guess I am still toying with them as well. ;)

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fishfreak218

nice tank!

get rid of the GSP and that striped mushroom while you still can!!!!

I hate invasive softies. Caused me soooo much trouble and $$$ in my 90g.

nice tank!

get rid of the GSP and that striped mushroom while you still can!!!!

I hate invasive softies. Caused me soooo much trouble and $$$ in my 90g.

Thanks! I am liking the GSP. I have it growing on the sand to help control it. And the watermelon mushroom? I dont see that being invasive, yet I suppose.

• 3 weeks later...

Just playing around with a wide angle lens. I shouldnt have done this, didnt come out good. Just did some rearranging with the scape and corals.

post-44019-1270164415_thumb.jpg

Just playing around with a wide angle lens. I shouldnt have done this, didnt come out good. Just did some rearranging with the scape and corals.

post-44019-1270164415_thumb.jpg

Looking good maddevil!

Check out my new 30 gallon in the sig. Still gonna keep the cube too though ;)

Looks good!

BTW, I didn't forget about your request in our PM, just been hectic. I'll get some results to you tonight with any luck..

Your colors look okay, still looking to switch to MH

They could be alot better. That brain that I have, it had a nice powder blue color on the outside, that has faded back into the green color like the rest of it. I am still thinking of MH, but going to try something out. I run my lights for 12 hrs: 2hrs RBs, 8hrs CWs/RBs, then 2hrs RBs. Since the RBs put out almost as much PAR as the CWs, maybe this is too long. Going to start a thread and see what everyone is doing.

your colors look great man, not sure why you were unhappy with the LED look, i think it looks great and the corals seem to be liking it nicely

good looking tank man

i've only ever run a 10 hour photoperiod i've noticed this to be the best for color and growth, i'd try that out, 12 to me is too long of a photoperiod and IMO things hit a light saturation point by 10 hours at 100% light IE no sunrise/sunset and no dimming corals will recieve all they can in 7-8 hours so by 10 they are saturated anymore than 10 and your corals might react by fadding or color shifting

more light = less photoperiod hits saturation quicker than a lower output light

less light = longer photoperiod to get the same saturation in 12 hours as a high light setup may give you in 7-8 hours

thats how i've always veiwed lighting

your colors look great man, not sure why you were unhappy with the LED look, i think it looks great and the corals seem to be liking it nicely

good looking tank man

Thanks beeker, but from when I bought the corals from the LFS and how they look now, just not the same. Great example is the brain, losing the blue color from its outter rim.

See my pic in post 165. You can see that the brain had a beautiful powder blue outter ring.

well i've always noticed corals i get from other people always color up in my tank, i've never had piece's lose color though i just recently have gotten into led so i'll be watching what my sps do when i move them over to the 200g under the PAR38's

my main tank has 2 wavepoint T5's and a 150w pheonix 14k, my orange hammer looks better under the leds to me but then again it hasn't been there a week yet so it's color may shift some, though on the 200g with PAR38's i'm only running a 5-6 hour photoperiod

To me when you have more light you run a shorter photoperiod becuase photo inhibitition happens sooner

When you have less light over your corals you run a longer photoperiod to reach the same saturation that the high light setup reachs in a short time

to me that is how i maintain color in my tank, lowest photoperiod i've ever run was 4 hours longest i've ever run was 11 hours, somewhere between 8-10 hours has always made corals look the best to me

well i've always noticed corals i get from other people always color up in my tank, i've never had piece's lose color though i just recently have gotten into led so i'll be watching what my sps do when i move them over to the 200g under the PAR38's

my main tank has 2 wavepoint T5's and a 150w pheonix 14k, my orange hammer looks better under the leds to me but then again it hasn't been there a week yet so it's color may shift some, though on the 200g with PAR38's i'm only running a 5-6 hour photoperiod

To me when you have more light you run a shorter photoperiod becuase photo inhibitition happens sooner

When you have less light over your corals you run a longer photoperiod to reach the same saturation that the high light setup reachs in a short time

to me that is how i maintain color in my tank, lowest photoperiod i've ever run was 4 hours longest i've ever run was 11 hours, somewhere between 8-10 hours has always made corals look the best to me

Thanks! I have reduced my lighting cycle to 10hrs: 1hr RBs, 8hrs CWs/RBs, 1hr RBs. I'll see how this works and if no change, then I will reduce to a total 8hr schedule. If no changes after that, then its MH for me. How long do you think it will take for me to see some changes, 3-4 weeks?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Moonlight install: 2 Blue LEDs, 470nm, 6000 MCD, 50 degree viewing angle

post-44019-1274228706_thumb.jpg

post-44019-1274228740_thumb.jpg

Wires neatly through existing hole and fan install

post-44019-1274228719_thumb.jpg

Dimmer for moonlights and fan install

post-44019-1274228733_thumb.jpg

LogansRunRx

very nice, my friend... very clean mod.

when's it goin' up over the tank???

oh yeah...

any pics of that new acro you got down at AAF? would love to see the red polyps...

cheers.

very nice, my friend... very clean mod.

when's it goin' up over the tank???

oh yeah...

any pics of that new acro you got down at AAF? would love to see the red polyps...

cheers.

Thanks man! Well now I need to work on the hanging fixture. I am hoping to get that done by this weekend so I can start using it. If not, sometime next week for sure.

That acro isnt really looking great right now. Actually I should call it 2-Face. I have it at an angle to the light, so one side browned out. I didnt notice it till this past weekend. So I flipped it around to color that side up. Funny thing is, when I held the MH light over the tank, I was able to clearly see every detail of that piece. For some reason with the LEDs, its seems very shadowy.

We still on for June 5th? I actually will be going to AAF this weekend if things have changed for you.

What are you going to do with your Hood?

Put it on standby until I believe LEDs can make corals look like they do under MHs. Then I will make the mods and put the hood back on and take the MH light and start a new tank ;) If I dont see improvement with the MH light, then I know it wasnt the light to begin with.....but somehow I think my problem are the LEDs. If LEDs never get there, then take the LEDs out of the hood and start a new tank with just fish, softies and some LPS.

Archived