Coral Vue Hydros

MadDevil's BC14 (Retired 7/4/2013)

Maddevil1

That mushroom is beautiful!
It looks like a yuma almost. LMK if you ID it.

+1 to both. I have a couple of those and would love to know what kind it is.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think it is actinodiscus, (standard mushroom) just a rarer morph.

Just a standard mushroom? :o I know it isnt a "diamond in the ruff", but didnt think it was "standard".

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to return my Sexy Shrimps yesterday. :tears: Didnt think they were worth the hassle of target feeding everyday and worrying about if they are munching on my corals when I am work or when I am sleeping.

• 3 weeks later...
Some new photos:

post-44019-1254881938_thumb.jpg

+1 looking good Madd.

what's that top one?

thanks for recommending All About Fish. went down and checked them out 2 weekends ago. great store. picked up some shrooms and a candycane and a small piece of favia to try out.

need to start a tank thread for my BC29.

cheers...

+1 looking good Madd.

what's that top one?

thanks for recommending All About Fish. went down and checked them out 2 weekends ago. great store. picked up some shrooms and a candycane and a small piece of favia to try out.

need to start a tank thread for my BC29.

cheers...

Thanks! Its some kind of fuzzy mushroom. Picked it up from the $15.99 area from AAF. Just testing things for now. Need to make sure the lighting is ok for the shrooms and zoas on the sandbed. I have had to dial back my lights a little. Yea I like AAF and the owner and I know each other pretty well. I am glad you liked it.

:rant: I am pretty pissed right now. Came home from work today and didnt see my newly added sixline wrasse swimming around. I added him on Saturday and on Sunday I noticed a little scar on his side. It seemed everyday it was get worse, it was kind of in a straight line which I thought was weird. I thought maybe that my Maroon Clown was picking on him but thought the damage was kind of weird for that. Fast forward to today. I found my sixline being ripped apart by my Emerald Crab!! The only thing I can think of was that the crab (which is pretty big I think) was picking on the sixline while it was sleeping and finally got it. :tears: Need to hunt down the crab this weekend. Still deciding what to do with it once I catch it! :ninja:

my sixline is a bully!

My clowns made one pass at him, and he turned and opened his mouth, showing his fishy menacingness. Since then, nothing bugs him. he's such a piggy.

Sorry about your loss, I vote crabcakes once you find him.

Yea, I thought sixlines were tough. I guess no match for this crab. When I catch it I will take a picture. I already caught the small one. I am sure I will catch the murderer this weekend. :ninja: I am thinking of giving them to a friend of mine since they have a fish only tank. As much as I would like to feed him to a mantis shrimp, he was only following his instincts, even though he only suppose to be eating algae! :angry:

Deleted User 6
I also have the top off water feed slightly below the emergency float so that if it is tripped, it will siphon back the excess water, just in case.

Brilliant!

Sorry about the six line. that really sucks. i just saw an emerald at the LFS that was as big as my fist yesterday...didn't know those buggers could get so big. he'd def. be able to take out a six line.

Sorry to hear about your sixline! I am kinda worried now, cuz I have the same combo in my tank. No problems so far, but I think you're probably right about the emerald getting him while he slept. My sixline sleeps right down in the LR.

Sorry to hear about your sixline! I am kinda worried now, cuz I have the same combo in my tank. No problems so far, but I think you're probably right about the emerald getting him while he slept. My sixline sleeps right down in the LR.

Yea, I saw where mine was sleeping, right in between the rocks. I think this one just got too big and was desiring more meaty foods and saw an easy prey. His claws dont look like they want just algae!

haha, I'll have to keep an eye on mine. what did ya end up doing with him? sump>?

They are both in a tupperware. I will be giving them to a friend with a fish only tank. If I would have caught him last night, it would have been a different story.

Hi, MadDevil', nice tank.

I just got my bc14, and I also ordered the media basket yesterday.

And I also bought tunze osmolator ato form marinedepot.

How do you set up osmolator? And could you give me more detail info.

for example, how high is the sensor and how high is the safty sensor.

Did you cut off any plastic mold?

I was thinking maybe I can hung the rail between chamber 2 and 3.

and you thought that as well at the beginning but you still glue it on the

back of the tank later.

Is there any reason you can not hung it between chamber 2 and 3?

More pics will be appreciated.

I am so frustrated when I read the tunze user's manul. it literally didn't help at all.

Hmmm..

sorry your fish died Mad...

I am having difficulty though believing that an emerald crab killed the sixline. I mean anything is possible but in general emeralds are opportunistic feeders, and not predatory. In general they're really slow and cumbersome so if he would have attacked the fish with his wussy "spoon" claws the fish would probably have been able to slip away. Especially since sixlines usually sleep enveloped in a mucous-like cocoon.

That and a dime sized emerald isn't that big... (how big was the sixline?) I had an emerald that had a body easily the size of a quarter... He knocked stuff over a lot, but never killed anything.

Did you quarantine the wrasse? I'm willing to guess that the "scar" or scratch marks were from him flashing against rocks due to some infestation or infection. The crab was merely cleaning up.

On a related note though, I had 2 nassarius snails gang up on a peppermint shrimp and eat him... It was fricken amazing to watch! You would think that the shrimp would have sped off, however, it just sat there pushing the snails away until finally one of the snails climbed up it's back and started noshing it's head... So strange things can happen.

Hi, MadDevil', nice tank.

I just got my bc14, and I also ordered the media basket yesterday.

And I also bought tunze osmolator ato form marinedepot.

How do you set up osmolator? And could you give me more detail info.

for example, how high is the sensor and how high is the safty sensor.

Did you cut off any plastic mold?

I was thinking maybe I can hung the rail between chamber 2 and 3.

and you thought that as well at the beginning but you still glue it on the

back of the tank later.

Is there any reason you can not hung it between chamber 2 and 3?

More pics will be appreciated.

I am so frustrated when I read the tunze user's manul. it literally didn't help at all.

Thanks! I have the ATO set up like the picture in Post 90, but the sensors are much lower and didnt cut any plastic mold. I have them on one rail and the float sensor is as low as it go can right above the optical sensor. I will try to take another pic tonight and post it. I am not sure why I didnt go with hanging it between chamber's 2 and 3. The only thing I can think of is that I was going to use that if I needed to use both rails. Another possible reason why I didnt use it was because the rail might have extended all the way down into where the water flows up from chamber 2 to 3. And if I wanted to put some kind of media there that would prevent me from doing so. Or the stayhold piece for the fish saver prevented me from putting it there. I actually like it where it is though, I wouldnt have put it anywhere different. The only thing I wish I could have done was used both rails so I could have the float senor parallel to the optical one- just not enough room. That way less water fills up and better chance for SG to remain stable.

I actually just had to return my controller because there was a problem with the capacitor for the optical sensor. It wouldnt hold the charge and would fill up the back chamber until the safety senor shut it off. I was pretty pissed of because I thought I just spent $200 on a crappy ATO. But since I have gotten the new controller, it has worked flawlessly. Only two things I do not like about it. Since I have to unplug it everytime I do my water change or anytime I unplug the main pump (unless you want to hear the annoying tone from the safety senor), when you plug it back in, it will automatically start filling no matter where your water level is. So you water level could be past the optical senor and it will start to fill. I think a better design would be to read the optical sensor first and then fill if needed. Second is that when the optical sensor senses its at the correct level, it then remains to fill for 10 seconds, by design. This would be nothing in a bigger area but because its in such a small chamber the water level usually always rises above the entire optical sensor, no biggie, but if you see that happening, now you know why. Now why not put the saftey sensor high enough so you dont have to unplug it and not hear the annoying sound? That means if the optical sensor does fail (for whatever reason), you'll have a larger fluctuation in SG with all the fresh water that has just been added. I'd rather do the extra work and have my safety sensor where it is. Plus with all the trouble I was having, it would have been a disaster. Everytime I do a water change I just make sure the water level is below my optical sensor.

For the level of the saftey sensor, thats dependent on which section of the media rack you make your refugium. I used the bottom section for my refugium so I could have the water level lower in chamber 3. It works out the the max line is actually my low line for the optical sensor. What I did was on the portion of the media rack that slides up so you can insert/remove your media, I placed some very small velcro strips for where the top levels are for the middle and bottom sections. Velcro isnt mandatory, just what I had handy. That way when I look down into chamber 2 with the media rack there, I can see where the water level is. I make sure that the water level is atleast up to where the bottom section is totally under water - since this is my refugium. In the middle chamber I have the 1/2 size ChemiPure Elite which takes up the entire middle section. And because its so packed in there, the water slightly pools up above the chemipure elite causing it to flow through all of the media, so no section of the chemipure is ever dry.

I hope this helps. Like I said, I will try to get a pic tonight and post it. If you have anymore questions, let me know. Also, soak the optical sensor in distilled vinegar for an hour before using it. This will prevent air bubbles forming on the sensor and it giving a false reading of dry.

Archived