Coral Vue Hydros

MadDevil's BC14 (Retired 7/4/2013)

Maddevil1

Sorry to bring up an old post,But I was wondering how your corals are liking the mh,and how far off the tank did you end up mounting the light,and did you get a chiller!

Trying to decde where to go with the lighting on my new bc 14.Thanks! :D

They are loving the MH and so am I. They are starting to regain the brilliant colors back. Right now the light is 9" above the water line. With the AC set to 78F, the tank would get to 80.5F. I decided to buy a clip-on fan from Walmart and the temps are now constantly at 77.5F, again with the help of the AC. If you dont mind your temps at 80F and dont mind using your AC some with or without a fan, you dont need a chiller. I have decided to buy a chiller though. ;)

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks , Our air is set to 72 ,and in winter we set the heat at 70 . My tanks never go higher than 78.I think I will go with the 150 watt fni. I have a 14k phoenix ,that I never used ,because I never went through with the retro I was going to do!

Thanks again, and your tank looks great !

By the way,I am running a fni ts ho right now ,and have had no problems with the fixture ,or any heat issues!

LostinWater

Just have to say rockin tank. I have a biocube 29 that's been running for 3 years. 2 thumbs up.

(That reminds me....I need to update mine......been a while. :P )

Just have to say rockin tank. I have a biocube 29 that's been running for 3 years. 2 thumbs up.

(That reminds me....I need to update mine......been a while. :P )

Thanks!! :happydance:

• 4 weeks later...

New Chalice Pics

DSC_0249.JPG

DSC_0250.JPG

Can anyone ID? They are both a light blue color. Top pic seems like it has a green mouth and bottom pic has a bright orange mouth.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice tank...what do you run your mp10 at? Im thinking about getting one but dont know if it is overkill.

Thanks! I have mine on the yellow mode (forgot name) with it turned all the way down. I am still trying to find the correct flow pattern for my SPS and LPS\softies. It is kind of overkill, but if you upgrade your tank and/or want the randomness of the MP10, its a good buy.

Thanks for replying. All the way down huh???? Damn.

No problem. Yes all the way down. I need like that so my softies dont get much flow on the sandbed. Otherwise, you could turn it up. With the MP10 and return, it provides a good amount of flow in the tank. Just think, when you upgrade to a bigger tank....you can use it to its potential. ;)

No problem. Yes all the way down. I need like that so my softies dont get much flow on the sandbed. Otherwise, you could turn it up. With the MP10 and return, it provides a good amount of flow in the tank. Just think, when you upgrade to a bigger tank....you can use it to its potential. ;)

Youre a good sales man. I want one bad and I'm on the verge of purchasing one this week...MAYBE. haha. I might go all out and get the es model even though the MP10's are $140....Nice tank though. Peas!

What mode do you use? This thing is crazy...can't wait to use it on my upgraded tank. Thanks for the help buddy.

When I had the hydor flo on, i used the MP10 on reef crest random or long pulse. I really liked the combo of the hydor flo and long pulse, much randomness. But when I installed my chiller, I couldnt use my hydor flo, so now I just run the MP10 on reef crest random.

Nice zoa's. Seems like you have a white balancing issue on your camera. See if you can fix it by using a preset mode on your camera and take the pic again. Would be nice to see them as they are.

Nice zoa's. Seems like you have a white balancing issue on your camera. See if you can fix it by using a preset mode on your camera and take the pic again. Would be nice to see them as they are.

I was waiting for someone to comment on that! :blush: Yea I was trying to capture the color as I see it and needed to warmify the pic a little. It didnt look that yellow after the edit though on my laptop. I will post the pic exactly as I took it, unedited. If I had a macro lens for my DSLR I wouldnt have to be taking these pics with my P&S. <_<

Just for you man.....

DSC_007-2.jpg

Awesome tank!

I have a BC14 too - love it so far.

Thanks to your experience, was considering going all LED but I'm am now leaning more towards a 70w sun pod..

It seems a lot of the LED people are abandoning ship now.

Was also thinking about adding an mp10...appreciate all the info + pics!

Really helps the decision process :)

Awesome tank!

I have a BC14 too - love it so far.

Thanks to your experience, was considering going all LED but I'm am now leaning more towards a 70w sun pod..

It seems a lot of the LED people are abandoning ship now.

Was also thinking about adding an mp10...appreciate all the info + pics!

Really helps the decision process :)

Thanks so much! I am glad that this thread was able to help atleast 1 person. Yea, I stopped following the LED stuff once I switched. Before I switched, there were ppl keeping SPS successfully. I wonder if thats still the case. As for a 70W MH fixture, I would really recommend going with a 150W. You get a lot better bulb choices and the 150W really isnt overkill for the BC14. The only issue is heat and I was able to keep the temps down and stable with a clip on fan ($6 from Walmart).

I love the MP10, though it really isnt used to its potential in the BC14. I will look out for your thread.

I think the LED's will pickup speed with a few more advancements in technology. I'm glad I sold off my array when I did, nobody would probably want to buy it at this point, lol.

What kind of camera/lens do you have for your dslr? I want a nice macro lens myself, but cant justify it right now. Ive heard of making a macro lens with a pringles can...LOL

I think the LED's will pickup speed with a few more advancements in technology. I'm glad I sold off my array when I did, nobody would probably want to buy it at this point, lol.

What kind of camera/lens do you have for your dslr? I want a nice macro lens myself, but cant justify it right now. Ive heard of making a macro lens with a pringles can...LOL

Just the kit lens that came with the D90, 18mm-105mm I think. I also heard of ppl using magnifying glass for a macro. I just might rent one and see if I really want one.

Thanks so much! I am glad that this thread was able to help atleast 1 person. Yea, I stopped following the LED stuff once I switched. Before I switched, there were ppl keeping SPS successfully. I wonder if thats still the case. As for a 70W MH fixture, I would really recommend going with a 150W. You get a lot better bulb choices and the 150W really isnt overkill for the BC14. The only issue is heat and I was able to keep the temps down and stable with a clip on fan ($6 from Walmart).

I love the MP10, though it really isnt used to its potential in the BC14. I will look out for your thread.

MP10es has been ordered! :) Can't wait to get it in.

Planning to run at at min. w/ my hydor to add some sweet random flow. Then hoping to be able to crank it up every so often to give the tank a good stir during cleaning.

I would be all for the 150W MH but I really want some sort of on tank fixture.

Ceilings are too high to hang a pendant...

Sunpod seems to be my only option, but the only sunpod that looks normal (width wise) on the BC14 is the 70W 16.5" unit. All the 150's are 20" and would hang over 3" on each side. not planning on keeping much, if any SPS, so I'm hoping it will still be enough for all else.

BTW you can check out my tank here :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=242744

Archived