Pod Your Reef

MadDevil's BC14 (Retired 7/4/2013)

Maddevil1

Hmmm..

sorry your fish died Mad...

I am having difficulty though believing that an emerald crab killed the sixline. I mean anything is possible but in general emeralds are opportunistic feeders, and not predatory. In general they're really slow and cumbersome so if he would have attacked the fish with his wussy "spoon" claws the fish would probably have been able to slip away. Especially since sixlines usually sleep enveloped in a mucous-like cocoon.

That and a dime sized emerald isn't that big... (how big was the sixline?) I had an emerald that had a body easily the size of a quarter... He knocked stuff over a lot, but never killed anything.

Did you quarantine the wrasse? I'm willing to guess that the "scar" or scratch marks were from him flashing against rocks due to some infestation or infection. The crab was merely cleaning up.

On a related note though, I had 2 nassarius snails gang up on a peppermint shrimp and eat him... It was fricken amazing to watch! You would think that the shrimp would have sped off, however, it just sat there pushing the snails away until finally one of the snails climbed up it's back and started noshing it's head... So strange things can happen.

After taking the pic next to the dime, I was thinking myself it wasnt that big. But in my BC14, it looked like a beast! ;) Yea there are a lot of possibilities of what could have happened, but I went with the guilty party, who I caught red handed. My 2 nassarius snails werent on him nor was my other emerald crab. I agree though that emeralds are opportunistic feeders, and not predatory. Since I do not need them at this point in time, I will get rid of them for now. But his scar that I saw could have been from something else, though I do not think from flashing against the rocks. It was as straight and defined as if caused by a knife. He was acting strange though, always attacking the glass. Maybe just a unhealty weak fish. I will try my luck again with another sixline and see what happens. And when I need an emerald crab again, I shall get 1 very small one.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks! I have the ATO set up like the picture in Post 90, but the sensors are much lower and didnt cut any plastic mold. I have them on one rail and the float sensor is as low as it go can right above the optical sensor. I will try to take another pic tonight and post it. I am not sure why I didnt go with hanging it between chamber's 2 and 3. ..........

thanks Maddevil, that is really helpful.

My BC14 is new model, so I don't need fish saver, but I do need MR.

I want to hung two rails between chamber 2 and 3, and make two sensors close together.

That will make it work, and I will also make ATO silence because I don't want to hear any alarm sound.

And I also will plug MJ 900 and ATO into one switch-control power strip, so everytime I do WC, I just

switch off the power strip.

Since I hung two rails between chamber 2 and 3, I might to cut off some plastic screws because

they are too long, and make MR impossible to put into the chamber 2

Another question is that do you use MJ900? My MJ900 is making so much noise, it doesn't touch anything,

just sit in the bottom, and making humming sound. I try to hung it in the middle of water and not touch anything, and it almost silent.

thanks Maddevil, that is really helpful.

My BC14 is new model, so I don't need fish saver, but I do need MR.

I want to hung two rails between chamber 2 and 3, and make two sensors close together.

That will make it work, and I will also make ATO silence because I don't want to hear any alarm sound.

And I also will plug MJ 900 and ATO into one switch-control power strip, so everytime I do WC, I just

switch off the power strip.

Since I hung two rails between chamber 2 and 3, I might to cut off some plastic screws because

they are too long, and make MR impossible to put into the chamber 2

Another question is that do you use MJ900? My MJ900 is making so much noise, it doesn't touch anything,

just sit in the bottom, and making humming sound. I try to hung it in the middle of water and not touch anything, and it almost silent.

I wasnt able to take another picture that would be helpful in any way, sorry. You can silicone the two rails on the wall between chamber's 2 and 3, assuming they fit side by side. This way, you do not need screws. I siliconed my one rail to the back glass on the BC. Again, you'll have to play around with the position of the safety senor to compensate for the extra 10 seconds. Also I wouldnt install the ATO until you get your media rack and know where you want the water level in chamber 2 since this will affect the water level in chamber 3. Yea, I have the MJ900 and mine is pretty quiet, I hear my SilenX fan more than my pump, which is never.

I will use the screws to fasten the rails. I just try them on the BC14, they can sit side by side between

chamber 2 and 3.

The MR just shipped out today, I should get it in 7 days.

thanks you so much again.

I wasnt able to take another picture that would be helpful in any way, sorry. You can silicone the two rails on the wall between chamber's 2 and 3, assuming they fit side by side. This way, you do not need screws. I siliconed my one rail to the back glass on the BC. Again, you'll have to play around with the position of the safety senor to compensate for the extra 10 seconds. Also I wouldnt install the ATO until you get your media rack and know where you want the water level in chamber 2 since this will affect the water level in chamber 3. Yea, I have the MJ900 and mine is pretty quiet, I hear my SilenX fan more than my pump, which is never.
  • 4 weeks later...
looking goog, Mad!

love the scape.

your clown hangin' out in the frogspawn or torch???

Thanks man! He's hanging out in neither actually. I just put another sixline in the tank (1st one didnt make it for some reason). So he was showing him whose tank it was. Just so happens that I was taking a picture at that time. ;) If you look closely, the sixline is in the lower left hand corner.

• 3 weeks later...
what kind of zoas are in the first pic?

Its a very rare zoa and cost lots of money! :bling: Which means I have no clue and either does my LFS. ;)

I didnt read earlier on in the post, so maybe you are know of it....but it looks like you have a bunch of flatworms one that zoa fragplug. The sixline will help though. Sorry if you already knew :unsure: . That LED looks nice, I am thinking of accenting certain spots in my next tank with a strip of LED's and some DIY moonlights.

I didnt read earlier on in the post, so maybe you are know of it....but it looks like you have a bunch of flatworms one that zoa fragplug. The sixline will help though. Sorry if you already knew :unsure: . That LED looks nice, I am thinking of accenting certain spots in my next tank with a strip of LED's and some DIY moonlights.

Yea, I know about the flatworms. I am trying to get rid of them naturally, through water changes and the sixline. Thanks though! You will not be sorry when you add the LEDs!

• 1 month later...
Nice :) Tank seems to be coming along pretty well.

Lots of growth, will have to take some updated pics of my tank to compare.

Thanks! Yea, the LEDs are great and I think I found the perfect ratio between my CW/RB LEDs to be able to keep SPS/LPS, etc. That Birdsnest is growing like crazy!!! GSP is out of control and I seeing alot of things splitting and multiplying. I think my next purchase is going to be a clam.

Yea really nice clean no alage or anything whats the star you got in there..

Thanks! Its a Red Fromia Starfish.

• 1 month later...
any updates?

how'w ur 6-line doin'? thinkin' bout pickin' one up...

Not any major updates. I was actually thinking about contacting you. I had some frags that I was going to give away or sell very cheaply or even traded for. My GSP, Birdsnest and Acro had to be fragged. But I took them into the LFS and got credit. Plus I didnt know if your lights would be able to keep some of them. Other than that, just messing around with the lighting some more. Turns out I had them dimmed too low, so waiting for the corals to color up again.

As for the 6line, I love him. Just make sure the other fish can hold their own against him. I only have 2 fish, and the other is a Yellow Stripe Maroon Clown. The Clown is very territorial, so they get into it every once in a while. The 6line though isnt doing too much to help me in the flatworm department though. Its a hit or miss, and I missed.

LogansRunRx
Not any major updates. I was actually thinking about contacting you. I had some frags that I was going to give away or sell very cheaply...

thanks for the thought...

yeah, wouldn't have been able to keep up with the SPS (still runnin' stock here). but waiting for new PCRs from UVL through Nano-customz/tuners. Still not enough for SPS, though.... but...

that's what the new tank's for!

:ninja:

only minor progress so far. still in the "grocery list" phase. the only check-boxes are rimless 20H and AC110 fuge conversion. goal = ORA tank (clam (or2) and SPS)

<sorry, minor thread jack>

cheers...

thanks for the thought...

yeah, wouldn't have been able to keep up with the SPS (still runnin' stock here). but waiting for new PCRs from UVL through Nano-customz/tuners. Still not enough for SPS, though.... but...

that's what the new tank's for!

:ninja:

only minor progress so far. still in the "grocery list" phase. the only check-boxes are rimless 20H and AC110 fuge conversion. goal = ORA tank (clam (or2) and SPS)

<sorry, minor thread jack>

cheers...

Nice, cant wait to see the pics when you get it up and running!

Very nice indeed.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, what's your setting for the lights? still toying with mine (have them set at about 60% on the blues and 50% on the whites.

Archived