Innovative Marine Aquariums

MadDevil's BC14 (Retired 7/4/2013)

Maddevil1

probably saves your eyes a bit if you have to open the hood, lol.

I am going to fire off my order for MPJA then for the power supplies. Have you thought about making a housing for the power supplies, or do they need open air for proper ventilation?

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am going to fire off my order for MPJA then for the power supplies. Have you thought about making a housing for the power supplies, or do they need open air for proper ventilation?

Not really, just plan on sticking them in the cabinet. I dont expect the PS to get too hot, it will be running at 1amp and its rated for 6.5A.

I made a custom test tube rack, just hoping i can fit this in the cabinet along with it. bottom shelf is out of the question, i have a 5 gal res for my ATO (a bit overkill but hey)

for the heatshrink on the dc plugs, did you heatshrink each individual connection (inner and outer) and then heathsrink both of them together? Will a hair dryer be enough to shirnk the tubing?

Another question, Is that an R2 moonlight? How do you like it (is it too bright?)? It appears to fit well behind the heatsink. Would you mind posting a picture of the tank with the moonlight on?

I made a custom test tube rack, just hoping i can fit this in the cabinet along with it. bottom shelf is out of the question, i have a 5 gal res for my ATO (a bit overkill but hey)

Just make sure you have enough protection in case of failures. You dont want the 5 gallons in your tank at one time or for your return pump to run dry. I havent decided on an ATO yet because of this. I use to have a gravity fed ATO on my last tank, but I also had a sump/refugium which makes it alot easier.

for the heatshrink on the dc plugs, did you heatshrink each individual connection (inner and outer) and then heathsrink both of them together? Will a hair dryer be enough to shirnk the tubing?

I actually just used the heatshrink on the hot. On the dc plugs, its kinda tight just with the one heatshrink tube. You can buy 3" length heatshrink strips at different diameters. I even ended up cutting these to make it smaller. I didnt actually shrink the tubing. I heard a blow dryer might work

Another question, Is that an R2 moonlight? How do you like it (is it too bright?)? It appears to fit well behind the heatsink. Would you mind posting a picture of the tank with the moonlight on?

Yes, it is an R2 moonlight. I really like it, I had it on my 46 gallon. Not sure if it is too bright since my tank isnt up yet, but with no water in it, I still think it looks great! I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it.

Here are the pics of the tank with the different lights on.

Cool Whites:

post-44019-1246153455_thumb.jpg

Royal Blues:

post-44019-1246153467_thumb.jpg

Both Cool Whites and Royal Blues:

post-44019-1246153479_thumb.jpg

Moonlights:

post-44019-1246153491_thumb.jpg

looks good. Why are you waiting to fill her up? For the ATO, I used one from my old system that i had to get rid of due to space confinements. I'ts a tunze osmolator, very safe to use with a large res, and keeps water level very precise. I elected to use it mostly because I bought a sapphire aquatics BC14 mesh wheel skimmer for the middle chamber, and they work better when an consistent water level is kept.

looks good. Why are you waiting to fill her up? For the ATO, I used one from my old system that i had to get rid of due to space confinements. I'ts a tunze osmolator, very safe to use with a large res, and keeps water level very precise. I elected to use it mostly because I bought a sapphire aquatics BC14 mesh wheel skimmer for the middle chamber, and they work better when an consistent water level is kept.

Waiting on the BC14 stand. LFS store said he would get it in this past Wednesday and like usual, it didnt come in. So I ordered it online and should come in Tuesday. I'll be out of town the next 2 weekends, so I dont think it will be cycling until August, which is on schedule with my plans. I cant wait to get it up and running! :happydance: I am tired of looking at everyone elses tank.

A tunze osmolator huh. I read that ppl have them on here, but dont know much about them. How is it "very safe"? Is it better than the JBJ ATO? Do you mind posting pics of your ATO setup?

the osmolator uses an optical sensor to determine water level (lowest chance of failure), and a backup float as a fail safe to shut the system off. the pump also will only pump for a certain period of time before it automatically shuts off. I also have the top off water feed slightly below the emergency float so that if it is tripped, it will siphon back the excess water, just in case. Its an expensive system, i originally bought it for my 75g, but had to downsize.

i can post some pictures a bit later

What does AWG stand for in terms of wiring? Should I get solid core, or stranded 22 gauge wire?

here are some shots of the ATO, i dont have one of the optical sensor, but you can find one on tunze's site. I use a 5 gal HDPE square water container for the res (like the kind you'd use to fillup at the fish store). Ive upgraded my return pump to a maxijet 900 (make sure you get the non powerhead maxijet) and installed a hydor flo. I also installed a sapphire aquatics nano reactor in chamber 1, the reactor works great.

attachign the rails with silicone:

post-42229-1246341547_thumb.jpg

post-42229-1246341466_thumb.jpg

Safety:

post-42229-1246341635_thumb.jpg

What does AWG stand for in terms of wiring? Should I get solid core, or stranded 22 gauge wire?

here are some shots of the ATO, i dont have one of the optical sensor, but you can find one on tunze's site. I use a 5 gal HDPE square water container for the res (like the kind you'd use to fillup at the fish store). Ive upgraded my return pump to a maxijet 900 (make sure you get the non powerhead maxijet) and installed a hydor flo. I also installed a sapphire aquatics nano reactor in chamber 1, the reactor works great.

AWG = American Wire Gauge. As for solid core or stranded, its personal preference. I ended up using both because I had some 22AWG left over and when I went to buy some more, I forgot which type I had. I prefer the solid core, especially when soldering.

Nice pics! Thanks! Gives me a good idea of how to set it up. Did you silicone the entire back of the rails or just a portion? If so which portion? Could I use any type of aquarium silicone, what about super glue gel? Is that the top off water inlet tube I see in your "Saftey" pic? Did it come with that bracket fixture? Stupid question, is the optical sensor water proof? I see you are using the stock "L" shaped hose adapter in the back of chamber 3. I ended up replacing this with 2-45degree PVC fittings to make a smoother flow for the water.

Thanks for confirming which MJ900 to get. I was planning on getting the MJ900 Utility pump. I will also pick up a hydor flo. What is the nano reactor used for? I have StevieT's media rack in chamber 2 and will be getting his Fish Saver and submersible light after my cycle is complete. I will mostly likely get the Vortech MP10 as well, once they come out and when they are readily available. I am going to hold off on the Tunze Osmolater for now, but you've helped me make up my mind. I want to do the DIY dosing system first. This way, I'll see how trustworthy it is and if it fails, I am only dosing top-off. Once I am sure of it, I'll get the Tunze.

Do you have a build thread?

The stand finally came in today. All I can say is, I have NEVER seen setup instructions as bad as what came with the stand. They might as well not include anything! Its a little unstable if I shake the stand myself. I'll try to fix before I fill the tank.

post-44019-1246416613_thumb.jpg

LOL. When i bought my stand from the store, the holes you screw the hinges in werent filled in. They drill a pilot hole then fill it in with some type of particle board, but they forgot to do that. so oceanic sent me a whole new stand. So i swapped the doors, then took the stand back to the place i bought it for a refund :bling:

Worked out well enough for me. here is my build thread, it hasnt been updated in ages, but i will start to update again. http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...185388&st=0

Following along with yours, in case you didn't notice :P

• 2 weeks later...

looks like my last post got rolled back. Have you noticed that the pots are a little bit finicky? Mine seem to achieve 100% power when i turn it only 1/4 of the way, and then i see no noticeable change in the LED brightness after 1/4.

are yours the same way? Does this mean the LED's are as bright as they can go at 1/4th a turn, or is it just that i cannot see the extra brightness?

You won't be able to see that much of a difference, but if you were to put a Lux or PAR meter over it, you would still see the numbers climb.

Thanks for the quick reply! Since i currently have no corals in there, how should i go about acclimating them? Should i leave the lights on full blast and just put thigns on the sand bed until they get used to the lighting? Maybe try to get corals from tanks with MH's?

Fill test\Installation of StevieT's MediaRack

post-44019-1247703987_thumb.jpgpost-44019-1247703998_thumb.jpg

JPG]

All the stuff I ordered came in 2 days early! omgomgomg Nothing like receiving a big box when you are not expecting it!

post-44019-1247703974_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to start my cycle this weekend! :happydance:

checkout the fish saver guard also. I had to slightly trim mine to fit properly, but it keeps my clown out of the rear chambers. It got to the point where i was fishing him out of chamber 2 or 3 (huge pain) every other day.

Looks like you already glued the flow directors in place there...i'll bet he'd send you another set if you asked when ordering the fish saver. well worth it if you plan to get clowns, gobies, wrasses or anythign that has a tendency to jump (part of the reason to keep a hood on the thing, right?).

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/category.sc?categoryId=15

I'll tell you what also, one of the best investments i have made for my BC14 is the SA nano media reactor: http://sapphireaquatics.com/onlinestore/in...p;products_id=9

add in some high capacity GFO from bulkreefsupply.com and you are set.

checkout the fish saver guard also. I had to slightly trim mine to fit properly, but it keeps my clown out of the rear chambers. It got to the point where i was fishing him out of chamber 2 or 3 (huge pain) every other day.

Looks like you already glued the flow directors in place there...i'll bet he'd send you another set if you asked when ordering the fish saver. well worth it if you plan to get clowns, gobies, wrasses or anythign that has a tendency to jump (part of the reason to keep a hood on the thing, right?).

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/category.sc?categoryId=15

I'll tell you what also, one of the best investments i have made for my BC14 is the SA nano media reactor: http://sapphireaquatics.com/onlinestore/in...p;products_id=9

add in some high capacity GFO from bulkreefsupply.com and you are set.

I plan on getting the fish saver as well as the under water light. Planning on ordering it after my cycle. Yes I glued the flow directors in place, but after making sure if was for maximum flow. Why would I need another set? Not sure I need the SA nano reactor. If I am running a fuge with filter floss, cheato, chemi pure elilte and purigen, what would I use the reactor for? ChemiPure Elite contains FO.

I plan on getting the fish saver as well as the under water light. Planning on ordering it after my cycle. Yes I glued the flow directors in place, but after making sure if was for maximum flow. Why would I need another set? Not sure I need the SA nano reactor. If I am running a fuge with filter floss, cheato, chemi pure elilte and purigen, what would I use the reactor for? ChemiPure Elite contains FO.

I saw a video on their site that said to put the fish saver on before glueing so you have enough room for the fish saver.

never used chemi pure tbh, i bought it, but just never used it. probably because i have chamber 2 filled with skimmer and nowhere to put such a media rack, and without the media rack, those bags get crappy flow.

Hey MadDevil, you might not need the fish guard, since I think you have a new tank. I have one of the newer tanks that has the raised divider and a window in the back of chamber 2.

I also have stevie t's media rack and am currently running Purigen in bottom chamber, the middle one is currently empty as I will aslo probably do Chateo but am currently not running into any nitrate issues. I also have Chemi pure elite where the sponge would be in the left chamber.

Hey quick question on your lights, are you going to run your R2 moonlight 24hrs or is it on a timer.

I was going to buy that R2 moonlight, but found a 6 led moonlight kit that I might try to incorporate into my LED build - 6 led DIY Moonlight kit

I saw that you purchased a hydor flo- are you going to purchase a koralia nano or 1. I have the MJ900 and get a lot of flow but am worried about restricting it with the hydor flow but do like the wave making capability. I might just buy booth whats your thoughts?

I saw a video on their site that said to put the fish saver on before glueing so you have enough room for the fish saver.

:o Crap...guess I will ask for a second set then!

Hey MadDevil, you might not need the fish guard, since I think you have a new tank. I have one of the newer tanks that has the raised divider and a window in the back of chamber 2.

Naw, I dont have one of the newer tanks. I bought it back in April, but still got the older style tank.

I also have stevie t's media rack and am currently running Purigen in bottom chamber, the middle one is currently empty as I will aslo probably do Chateo but am currently not running into any nitrate issues. I also have Chemi pure elite where the sponge would be in the left chamber.

Cheato will also help with any algae problems. Does the Chemi Pure fit really well where the blue sponge went? I like that idea....guaranteed flow thru. The only thing I am worried about with the media rack is that you have to have the water pretty high in the back chambers to get water high enough for the middle rack if you are going to have cheato back there. Not that the water level is an issue, but if I am going to buy the Tunze ATO, might run into some issue as to where I can put the sensors, seems like they'll have to be pretty high. I might try what you are doing. I'll put the purigen in the middle of the rack, cheato in the bottom, and chemipure where the sponge use to be.

Hey quick question on your lights, are you going to run your R2 moonlight 24hrs or is it on a timer.

My moonlights will be on a timer. My last setup, I had the actinics come on at 8am, daylights on at 10am, daylights off 6pm, actinics off at 8pm, moonlights on at 8pm to 8am.

I was going to buy that R2 moonlight, but found a 6 led moonlight kit that I might try to incorporate into my LED build - 6 led DIY Moonlight kit

Looks cool. I love the R2 light. Its easy to install under the splashguard and produces a lot of light. This looks like more work, but if you are willing to do the extra work and go for the integrated look, should be worth it.

I saw that you purchased a hydor flo- are you going to purchase a koralia nano or 1. I have the MJ900 and get a lot of flow but am worried about restricting it with the hydor flow but do like the wave making capability. I might just buy booth whats your thoughts?

I havent decided yet what I am going to buy to get more flow in the tank. I want to buy the Vortech MP10. But I am reading that they are mainly for SPS. I will be keeping a mixed reef, so I dont want the other corals not to do well because there is too much flow. Need to start a thread on this to see what others think. If I didnt go with the MP10, then I was thinking about the koralia nano or a MJ400\MJ600. I have one of those timer outlets which alternates current to get a wave effect. When I had my other koralias on it, they made a popping sound everytime they came on. So I am hesitant on the koralia nanos, though my LFS says he's running them on the same outlet timer I have with no popping sound. Need to verify this. The outlet timer is advertised with the MJs. The only down side to either of these options is the added heat. I would run the hydor flow and an additional pump or 2. The more random the flow the better. Just be careful with the added heat, if any. Definitely get some kind of timer or controller to alternate the pump(s). If I do go with the koralia/MJ option, I will most likely upgrade to a Reef Keeper Lite to control them.

Yeah the Chemi-pure elite 5 oz, fits right in the chamber for the sponge, just got to wiggle it a little bit but it fits.

The only problem with the chaeto being in the bottom chamber is that it is smaller than the middle one, so hopefully it doesn't grow too fast.

I

The reason why you need the fish saver in place is that the director piece closest to where the fish saver would be probably will touch and not allow it to fit correctly. You can make the angle of the pieces wider with the rack only in place.

I will send out a new set to you at no charge with your new order.

Archived