Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MadDevil's BC14 (Retired 7/4/2013)

Maddevil1

thats cool man. fyi guess who's in charge now.. and hint its neither one of you two ;) but when ever your ready for a bigger tank lmk. i'm sure we could work out a sweet order for you. live stock wise that is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How are things going?

Eh, things could be better. Not sure whats going on, but had an algae outbreak and my rocks were getting kind of fuzzy/hairy - but not from algae. I have been starving the tank a bit and putting in more snails, hermits, crabs to help fight what ever is going on. Also not sure whats going on with my zoas, but mostly all of them are not doing well. Its like they are going to die, but dont. I've dipped them in iodine, Coral Rx and FW and really nothing. Just yesterday I dipped them in Furan-2 to see if that works. Otherwse than that, still fightiing bubble algae and flatworms on each water change. I really want to start a new tank so I can overhaul this one.

Next up, I need to remove a spaghetti worm! :scarry: The size of its dumps is prolly whats fouling up my water! :rant:

How is your tank doing?

That's really wierd. The growths aren't algae? Have you seen any pests on the zoas?

I had this short rubber macro growing on one of my rocks, and so I got an emerald crab. He has since mowed that crap down to the rock.

Things seem to be on cruise control right now. I'm not doing much of anything but topping off daily, feeding, and waterchanges. All of the zoas are multiplying and showing good color, my trumpets are dividing, and my blasto has sprouted a new head. The only thing not doing well is the birdsnest. I think it has finally succumbed to the PC light. In fact, I think it is entirely dead - no polyps extending and very little color. My LED upgrade has been on back order for almost 2 months, but it's supposed to ship as soon as they get another shipment of CREE's.

I bought a bi-color blenny about a month ago, and I must say it is one of the most entertaining fish I've seen. It hops around and perches on things with it's downturned little mouth.

damn Mo, you need to come pick up one of my 20L and just don't tell the wifey. lol wait for her to go to work or better yet send her on a shopping spree with some friends or family and when she gets back tada! there's a new set up/gift of earring or whatever else she may like that would distract and redirect her attention away from the tank. ;) lol

any thought that your tank may be TOO clean for zoas now? if your water is sps perfect softies aren't really fond of that. just saying it may not be a pest.

That's really wierd. The growths aren't algae? Have you seen any pests on the zoas?

I had this short rubber macro growing on one of my rocks, and so I got an emerald crab. He has since mowed that crap down to the rock.

The only thing not doing well is the birdsnest. I think it has finally succumbed to the PC light. In fact, I think it is entirely dead - no polyps extending and very little color.

Nah, I dont think the growth is algae, its grayish in color. Its hard to explain. I dont think its a pest on the zoas cause they arent really dying. They are halfway closed and look kinda shrivelled up, but they get no worse or no better. My last hope is Furan-2 in the event is a fungal issue like zoa pox or something.

Dont worry, I'll give you more of the Birdsnest when you get the LEDs.

damn Mo, you need to come pick up one of my 20L and just don't tell the wifey. lol wait for her to go to work or better yet send her on a shopping spree with some friends or family and when she gets back tada! there's a new set up/gift of earring or whatever else she may like that would distract and redirect her attention away from the tank. ;) lol

any thought that your tank may be TOO clean for zoas now? if your water is sps perfect softies aren't really fond of that. just saying it may not be a pest.

Haha, I wish. I would get something even bigger, like a 30 or 40, but with the kid on his way, I dont want to bite off more than I can chew.

Nah, I dont think its too clean. Its either a fungal infection, maybe too much flow, and/or the combination of me changing to a new bulb - though this has been going on before that. Not too stressed over it, everything else in the tank is doing great. I just need to get that spaghetti worm out!

How does one go about removing a spaghetti worm? I know they make those little traps for bristle worms and such.

How does one go about removing a spaghetti worm? I know they make those little traps for bristle worms and such.

Hunt it down for manual removal :ninja:

• 1 month later...

How are things going 'sir?

Didn't you say you have a chiller on your BC14? I'm thinking about getting one. I keep my apartment at 75-76 degrees, the tank's heater is set at 77, and the feed door is open all the time, but I'm still getting temps of almost 80 degrees. I figured after my LED installation, my temp problems would be no more - but that's not the case. I bought a Reefkeeper Lite, which I hear will help control the fans/heater, but I think that living Houston ultimately requires a chiller.

By the way, I'm ready for another birdsnest frag whenever you're ready. I'll actually pay you this time.

How are things going 'sir?

Didn't you say you have a chiller on your BC14? I'm thinking about getting one. I keep my apartment at 75-76 degrees, the tank's heater is set at 77, and the feed door is open all the time, but I'm still getting temps of almost 80 degrees. I figured after my LED installation, my temp problems would be no more - but that's not the case. I bought a Reefkeeper Lite, which I hear will help control the fans/heater, but I think that living Houston ultimately requires a chiller.

By the way, I'm ready for another birdsnest frag whenever you're ready. I'll actually pay you this time.

Things are going steady, I suppose. Tank has really been in maintain mode for a while now. Getting ready for a baby due at the end of August, so I have been preparing for that. I actually just bought my two last pieces for a while this past weekend at AAF, a green birdsnest and a milli. From here on out, gonna just let them grow, maintain tank and water changes until I get the hang of taking care of a newborn and my tank. My corals are coloring back up from when I switched my MH bulb. If they dont color back up nicely, I am going to cover up my RB LEDs. I have a theory that if the corals dont color all the way back up, those RB LEDs are they cause. I'll know for sure at the end of July.

Yep, I have a JBJ Mini-Arctica 1/15 HP Chiller. It has paid for itself since I dont have to keep my house at 77F anymore, especially in the summer. Now the A/C upstairs sits at 80F during the day. I just got a RKL too. I like it a lot. Might buy another PC4 unit down the road and get rid of my power strip timer I got at HD.

My wife is off this weekend, but I am availble usually any Saturdays she works. Are you in town for July 4th? How do your July Saturdays look? I know July 16th is a no go since the baby shower is that day. Let me know and we'll set a time up to meet. I'll actually have you come to the house and cut it then. I need to trim my Hollywood Stunner too, if you are interested.

Austin here.

Temps have been in the steady 101-105 range for the last month. I keep the house at 84* during the day and 78* at night so as you might imagine, the tank sits right around 83* at all times. No problems what so ever.

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since I posted some pics of the tank. Nothing changed....just letting everything grow. I think its almost time for a bigger tank. :D

Front View

FTS8132011_154-1.JPG

Side View

FTS8132011_155-1.JPG

lookin' great, M.

and congrats on the bambino on the way! good to hear you guys are doing well.

was down at AAF today.

picked up a new Yellow Coris Wrasse for a new tank i'm workin on.

no pics yet... and no thread either.

actually runnin 3 tanks right now... BC29, 20H, and a 20L.... just not spending a lot of time on line. hospital's got me crazy busy.

cheers...

B)

I like the new FTS. That megalord birdsnest is unstoppable. Could you take a closeup of your green birdsnest? I love those things.

It has been a while since I posted some pics of the tank. Nothing changed....just letting everything grow. I think its almost time for a bigger tank. :D

Looking good man... I agree.. just bought a 180g bowfront.. i'm a little nervous about it actually

Looking good man... I agree.. just bought a 180g bowfront.. i'm a little nervous about it actually

Thanks! Hahaha, i think you have an extra "0" on that bowfront!!! :scarry: Dang, thats a huge tank. When I said bigger, I was thinking 30g at the most. ;)

I am very impressed by this tank. Very nice colors and nice coral selection.

Do you dose?

Thanks! I am actually thinking of upgrading this tank to a 20L, so I am now following your thread.

As for dosing, I dose ESV B-Ionic Alk/Calc daily, ESV Potassium Iodide after each water change (once a week), and Brightwells Amino Acid twice a week. Thats it. I've noticed though my colors got better when I switched to MH lighting.

MadDevil...sweet tank,colors,lights...everything looks teally nice...Good write up

Thanks BKR, your BC14 is pretty sweet as well. I'll be following along. This tank has been up for 2 years.....time to upgrade....that darn Hollywood Stunner sweepers are about 3"-4" long and stung the hell out of my Red Planet Acro. I cant move either! I dont want to frag it because whatever tank I get next, its going to look sweet!

I like the new FTS. That megalord birdsnest is unstoppable. Could you take a closeup of your green birdsnest? I love those things.

Yes, it is unstoppable! I'll work on that pic of the Green BirdsNest. I wish I had a macro lens......

• 5 weeks later...
How's the tank?

Oh and how's the new baby?

Tank is doing good....suffered a bit when the baby was born...but back on track now. The BC14's time is limited though. I bought a 20L and got my hands on a 24" T5HO Tek lighting fixture. Its going to take some time to get it up because most of my time now is taking care of the baby.....but I have all the pieces...just need the time to do it right.

Baby is doing great! Its an amazing feeling being a dad! :happydance:

Archived