Cultivated Reef

MadDevil's BC14 (Retired 7/4/2013)

Maddevil1

Hey M. I finally got my chiller. It's a Current 1/15 hp. I can't remember when I was at your place, but are you using just the return pump for the chiller, or do you have a separate utility pump?

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey M. I finally got my chiller. It's a Current 1/15 hp. I can't remember when I was at your place, but are you using just the return pump for the chiller, or do you have a separate utility pump?

Nice! Mine has been disconnected since it broke and I have been just using a fan. Since I fixed it though, I am going to use it on my 20L. I upgrade to a MJ1100 utility pump because it was stronger and the same size as the MJ900 utility pump (key for fitting in the small arss chamber). Just verify what your flow rate is for the chiller. Mine was pretty slow, so this worked out. You might not have a choice though. But if it is too fast/slow, it just reduces efficiency of the chiller.

Hope all is well. I should get my 20L up by XMAS!

• 1 month later...
Sigh. Your tank is what got me thinking about SPS and that pink birds nest. So I got a frag but it turned out to be the thick branch variety. :( Wish I was in Houston.

Yeah his birdsnest is epic. I saw it back in July, so I can't imagine how big it is now. It has to be the size of a large grapefruit by now.

Sigh. Your tank is what got me thinking about SPS and that pink birds nest. So I got a frag but it turned out to be the thick branch variety. :( Wish I was in Houston.

Thanks metro! Yea, if you were in Houston you'd get a frag for free! I actually got a green birdsnest that I am liking a lot as well as my Birds of Paradise (yellow stalk with purple polyps). The birdsnests seem to do really well in my tank. Moving mostly everything to a 20L, can wait to see how big I can get them!

Yeah his birdsnest is epic. I saw it back in July, so I can't imagine how big it is now. It has to be the size of a large grapefruit by now.

Haha, thanks man. It is pretty darn big now, I need to move it soon so it can really grow!

Thanks metro! Yea, if you were in Houston you'd get a frag for free! I actually got a green birdsnest that I am liking a lot as well as my Birds of Paradise (yellow stalk with purple polyps). The birdsnests seem to do really well in my tank. Moving mostly everything to a 20L, can wait to see how big I can get them!

Haha, thanks man. It is pretty darn big now, I need to move it soon so it can really grow!

Do you have the new tank yet? I want to set up something like march3lo19's tank. His is probably my favorite on NR right now. I have plans for a 30 long similar to this. Just need to make the leap. GlassCages.com has some cool custom setups with Starphire glass, so that's probably who I'll go with.

I have a green bird and a bird of paradise and also the pink thick branch bird.

I also liked your suggestion of red planet

My poor Red Planet keeps getting stung by my Hollywood Stunner :tears: Another reason I need to upgrade!

Do you have the new tank yet? I want to set up something like march3lo19's tank. His is probably my favorite on NR right now. I have plans for a 30 long similar to this. Just need to make the leap. GlassCages.com has some cool custom setups with Starphire glass, so that's probably who I'll go with.

I have everything I need to start the tank, just need to find the time to build the light fixture. I will check out that tank you linked. A 30L would be nice, but not sold in the local Petsmart or Petco, wanted to go cheap. My next tank after this will be my dream build. ;)

I'm eager to see the new tank. I presume you're going with another MH fixture (or the same one?) What are you doing for filtration? Sump?

Yeah. $$$ is the only thing holding me back from being a total reef addict. I have a little 10gal that I almost set up a month ago, but I decided to hold off on that project. If I spend money on equipment now, it's going to be towards a bigger tank.

If I start another tank, it will definitely be a rimless tank with some kind of pendant - haven't decided on MH or LED. I really like the new EcoTech Radion, but it comes with a hefty pricetag. They have one on display at T&T Fish and Reef and gets some amazing colors on the SPS & Clams.

I'm eager to see the new tank. I presume you're going with another MH fixture (or the same one?) What are you doing for filtration? Sump?

Yeah. $$$ is the only thing holding me back from being a total reef addict. I have a little 10gal that I almost set up a month ago, but I decided to hold off on that project. If I spend money on equipment now, it's going to be towards a bigger tank.

If I start another tank, it will definitely be a rimless tank with some kind of pendant - haven't decided on MH or LED. I really like the new EcoTech Radion, but it comes with a hefty pricetag. They have one on display at T&T Fish and Reef and gets some amazing colors on the SPS & Clams.

Nope, no MH, I got a Tek 24" 4bulb T5 fixture for a great price. I would have needed a bigger MH to properly light the 20L, because its long, lol. I am doing this tank simple though, thin layer of sand, 2 separate rock structures - but not taking up alot of room. I want to be able to clean the glass of the tank with ease. Yea, I have an old sump from my 46 gallon I had. Going to run a protein skimmer and maybe a fuge (if I can fit it).

I havent done much research in to LEDs since I got out, because it keeps changing. I have heard good things about Radion, but again, I am waiting for the price to come down on LEDs on a whole and for it to be proven better than MH and T5.

I hope I get a chance this weekend to at least get the light fixture up....we'll see -_-

Nope, no MH, I got a Tek 24" 4bulb T5 fixture for a great price. I would have needed a bigger MH to properly light the 20L, because its long, lol. I am doing this tank simple though, thin layer of sand, 2 separate rock structures - but not taking up alot of room. I want to be able to clean the glass of the tank with ease. Yea, I have an old sump from my 46 gallon I had. Going to run a protein skimmer and maybe a fuge (if I can fit it).

I havent done much research in to LEDs since I got out, because it keeps changing. I have heard good things about Radion, but again, I am waiting for the price to come down on LEDs on a whole and for it to be proven better than MH and T5.

I hope I get a chance this weekend to at least get the light fixture up....we'll see -_-

Well I'm looking forward to it. Have a good Holiday!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliment on my thread man. We do have similar set-ups. I really need to quit being lazy and buy a new phoenix. It's about that time. My birthday is tomorrow, maybe I will try to ask for one lol. They are like what, 35 dollars now?

Thanks for the compliment on my thread man. We do have similar set-ups. I really need to quit being lazy and buy a new phoenix. It's about that time. My birthday is tomorrow, maybe I will try to ask for one lol. They are like what, 35 dollars now?

Really that cheap now? I usually get them for like 45. Hmmmm maybe I should get one now if they are that cheap. Where are you located in TX?

• 3 months later...

Hey you have a Tunze Osmolator right? I'm thinking about getting one, but will the sensors fit in one of the back chambers?

Hey you have a Tunze Osmolator right? I'm thinking about getting one, but will the sensors fit in one of the back chambers?

Yea I do, best ATO ever. But make sure that it comes with the rail holder because I see them now coming with the magnetic holder. If you can find the dimension on the magnetic holder and if will fit in chamber 3, then you should be good either way. I need to get another for the 20L, now that I have it up and running. :happydance:

Yea I do, best ATO ever. But make sure that it comes with the rail holder because I see them now coming with the magnetic holder. If you can find the dimension on the magnetic holder and if will fit in chamber 3, then you should be good either way. I need to get another for the 20L, now that I have it up and running. :happydance:

Yeah I'm getting kinda tired of topping off manually, and I'm of the opinion that with tank equipment go big or go home.

Your 20L is running. I detect a new thread is forthcoming.... :ninja:

Yeah I'm getting kinda tired of topping off manually, and I'm of the opinion that with tank equipment go big or go home.

Your 20L is running. I detect a new thread is forthcoming.... :ninja:

Thread is already up! Check signature.....though there are only two pics so far. Clean-up crew this weekend!

Hi, I am considering purchasing one of the fishneedit halides for my 20 gallon cube and found your thread while I was searching for info.

Do you think a 250w fishneedit light would be ok if I mounted it a foot or so above the tank? I want to keep an SPS dominated tank so my thinking was 250 would def grow any sps I wanted, but then I was concerned about heat. My tank is about 17" deep.

I want to go with a 20k bulb as I love the color it puts off.

If you did it over would you still go with this fixture or something else?

Thanks!

Do you think a 250w fishneedit light would be ok if I mounted it a foot or so above the tank? I want to keep an SPS dominated tank so my thinking was 250 would def grow any sps I wanted, but then I was concerned about heat. My tank is about 17" deep.

I want to go with a 20k bulb as I love the color it puts off.

If you did it over would you still go with this fixture or something else?

This depends on a lot of things. I'll answer your last question first. I would pick a MH bulb and then pick a fixture\ballast. I say that because different MH ballast will burn a different color of the bulb. I forget the specific MH bulb, but some bulbs burn better with a magnetic ballast vs an electronic. Also, some 250W MH bulbs dont come DE, only mogul base SE. If you are going to be supplementing with T5s, then maybe if the bulb burns whiter than you thought, it might not be an issue.

I only have experience with the FNI 150W fixture. For the price, its great, decent reflector/ballast and fits my needs - 14K Phoenix 150W - over a BC14. Personally, I'd try to find a a really good used 250W fixture. Your bulb is the heart of the tank. You want to keep a SPS dominated tank, they need strong light and the reflector of a fixture is key. And if you are not happy with the color that is being produced, you are not going to be happy with how the tank looks.

Heat will be an issue. A foot off the tank is pretty high, especially if you are going to keep SPS. Remember decent reflector\ballast. You might be able to pull it off with a better fixture. Currently I just have a fan ($6 from Walmart) blowing at my fixture. With the A/C set to 77, the tank doesnt get hotter than 76.5F. But my other tank, that has a chiller, in the same room sits at about 78F. This is due to 2 pumps and skimmer in the sump. I'd plan on a chiller....maybe as a future purchase.

Hopefully I was able to help.

• 5 weeks later...
Any picture updates? I finally got my pink birds nest and a colony too. This one has very dainty branches, yours looks thicker than mine.

No picture updates I wish to post. Sadly, the last picture taken (Aug 2011) was probably the best the tank ever looked before it went downhill. I had a kid in September and also changed a bunch of things all at the same time (big mistake). I also started a 20L. So I am in the process of moving everything from the BC to the 20L and then I will make a come back with the BC.

• 1 month later...

Archived