Cultivated Reef

Steely's 40 breeder

steely185

Thanks. Things are still coloring up a bit. I've been working at cleaning this tank up for a few weeks now. Its looking much better now. It's got some depth that I don't think the camera quite can catch. It's got an island in the sand kind of look now that there more open spaces on the sides of the rockwork.

I got tired of trying to find spots for my Hollywood stunner chalice which is growing so I attached it to a rock near the back with some epoxy. It should get better flow and not endanger much while giving plenty of room for growth.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. I don't have atinics on this tank, only on the shallow. Just halides and moonlights which don't brighten things up that much in that spot of tank. Hard to believe that at the store it looked like a dull brown and dull green. They had other lobos for relatively cheap and I may head back to see them again. Hard to believe that at one lfs this would cost over $200 and this only ran me under $60 where I found it.

Thanks.

I was interested in what other gems I could find among the white lights of the same LFS so I went back today. I ended up coming home with a nice size orange and purple lobo that they discounted for me. It colored up well under my halides. It had been there a while so he knocked off 20%. I have one more red with blue centered lobo that should be delivered tomorrow or wednesday. I'll update the FTS then.

here's the red and blue lobo

redandbluelobo.jpg

Wow, I never noticed before but that maroon clown is huge!

She's probably about 3" in size. She's always near the front glass so she looks huge in pics. She rules the tank and keeps the blue damsel in line. She doesn't pick on anyone at all though.

Finally got things placed and the FTS taken. Let me know what you think.

IMG_1684-1.jpg

So this afternoon I picked up a current true lumen strip for my tank. All I can say is man is it bright. It's not visible over the halides but illuminates the whole tank at night. Everything is electric like I thought it would be but almost to the point that it hurts my eyes. I may return it tomorrow. Something to do with that brightness and spectrum that stresses my eyes. The lights are viewable from my couch which doesn't help matters.

Beatiful new lobos. Really compliment one another well.

Which LFS are you going to?

I'm spending new year's eve in Richmond this year and wouldn't mind stopping somewhere to pick up some gems....but I doubt any stores are open on the 1st.

We have three LFS here: Atlantis, Fishworld, and Richmond Aquarium. I found two of the lobos at Richmond Aquarium because they were easily $200 less per piece than the other stores but you had to look hard. They have no actinic lighting and most of the colors are a dull brown so you have to think about what your colors would look like. They had both been there for a couple months. The red and blue lobo was an ebay purchase.

Good luck on the stores being open on new years day. I doubt they are going to be open.

Archived