SaltCritters.com

Steely's 40 breeder

steely185

The tank is doing well for being so crowded. I cut off the blue tort from the base. Some algae had taken hold of the base and I wanted to save this coral so fragging it was the solution.

My male clown has been taking an interest in the torch I have moved over from the old rimless. Looks good with the extra flow in this tank. It will be nice in the 150. I can't wait for that tank so I can move over my hulk tort and 24 acans. It really is going to be full of color.

The biopellets are kicking in gear now. Polyp extension gets better every week and everything is looking happy.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love those shrimp. Hopefully getting both sometime soon myself.

Do you feed them?

Which biopellets are you using? I'm going to take the plunge myself in the coming weeks.

Do you know if there is any problem with continuing to run carbon along with the pellets?

Looking forward to the 150 starting up!

No I don't feed them. They do fly out of the rockwork when I feed the fish which 95% of the time is spirulina. They eat whatever scraps they can get. The fire shrimp shoots out from the rocks like a chicken with it's head cut off. He hides mostly but is quite funny when it's feeding time.

I'm using the vertex biopellets. They say to avoid carbon and gfo at the start since they pull out the food source for the bacteria growing on the biopellets. It's basically carbon dosing so some phosphate and nitrate need to be present.

Should have about four new corals after this weekends frag meet.

Thanks. I'd like a bright blue/teal, a teardrop, and a nice gold maxima. We'll see I'd like to have some calcium left in the tank though. :)

How long have you had that cleaner and blood shrimp? I want one, but I am hesitant to buy because my peppermints did not live very long, and seeing that these are all in the same genus, they will die because they don't live long as well.

And that green clam is gorgeous.

animalmaster6

Do you grow these colonies from small frags or do you buy them as colonies. The tank looks amazing. I can't wait to see this in a total of 150 gallons!

95% of my corals started as frags and can be traced back thru pictures of my old 20 or this 40. It's a really fun time to watch this tank because of all the growth. Sometimes I wonder what it would look like if I actually used two part or stronger lights. One thing I look forward to in the 150 is the 400 watt metal halide bulb. Really interested to see the growth difference.

animalmaster6

That's incredible. You have some huge colonies!

That's probably one of the things I most look forward to about my 125. I think it's the most interesting when you grow everything from frags.

The biggest colonies I have are bigger than my outstretched hand. The prostrata was smaller than my pinky and encrusted and now looks like that next to last pic. Growing them does make you proud.

Noticing some of the coral starting to become more pastel and lighter in color. Not sure if it is a result of the biopellets (I think it is) like with vodka dosing or if I'm dropping my calcium. May have to break out a test kit for the calcium with the tank being so packed.

I plan on doing a water change tomorrow which should perk things up a bit. I'm overdue for a water change.

Scored some nice goodies last night at the meet. Got my pink lemonade, a colony sized tort, colony sized birds of paradise, and a frag of chips acropora ( the only one looking rough but holding out hope). I found my go to person for fish and plan to use him for getting my wrasses for the 150. Getting a clam group buy together locally also. Hoping to snag a tear drop.

When I get the 150 I'm also snagging a Tommy knockers prostrata. I really like this one.

c465ddb0.png

When I get the 150 I'm also snagging a Tommy knockers prostrata. I really like this one.

c465ddb0.png

did you actually pick up the tommyknockers at the meet? I already put mine in and mounted it (to my new rock-mag!). The color of the flesh is still a bit darkened from transport or whatever, but the polyps are like glow-in-the-dark green -- pretty unbelievable. i'll be interested to see some pics of yours when you have it in the tank.

Anyone interested in the 40 breeder? I'll be selling tank/stand/nw110 reef octopus skimmer/ sump and 2x150 sunpod with phoenix 14ks all together for $400 once I move the livestock over to the 150. Local pick up in Richmond, VA only though.

This should be available in about two weeks.

So I'm hitting around six weeks with biopellets and I'm noticing a few corals that are becoming lighter in color or more pastel. I'm assuming this is common with other forms of carbon dosing so I may begin adding amino acids and feeding more often. I'm thinking I may be starting to starve the coral of nutrients.

Thanks. I don't dose. I add rowaphos brand kalk to my top off water and it's added periodically with my auto top off. It keeps the alk and pH up while adding calcium in the form of calcium carbonate.

Thanks, I thought you used kalk but wasn't sure. I've been thinking about using it( I already have some) but everyone seems to think it would be a bad idea in a 29. Do you have any thoughts on it?

Archived