SaltCritters.com

Steely's 40 breeder

steely185

It's about the most blue coral I've ever seen. A definite favorite picked up from a local reefer who rarely frags it for people. It was a wild variety, possibly a palmers blue milli.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your tank looks great! I LOVE the diversity of sps, what is the lighting?

I also use a Reef Octopus on my 40b and I really like the performance for the cost.

Thanks guys. Its just fun looking back and seeing what your eye doesn't catch on a daily basis. It's been fun documenting it from the start.

No roids here, just kalk and that's it. Rarely do I test water unless I notice some problems. I just do a water change every two weeks, feed every other day(spirulina and occasionally mysis). I've pruned my caps a few times but nothing major other than accidental fragging. I have chemipure in my sump that I change every couple months. The tank has a nw110 skimmer that isn't the greatest in my opinion. I may add another power head for additional flow to go with the mp40 and return line.

It's not so bad outside of some algae growth but my tuxedo is working on it. I may add to my clean up crew to knock it out. If I hadn't fragged my milli and caps a few times it would look pretty good for a years growth.

Got in the tank this morning and did some cleaning. I removed a couple rocks that were engulfed in algae and moved them to the sump. Nothing but shrooms were on them. I also got in and cleaned the mp40 as well as my frag rack. The tank looks much more open and clean, specially after removing a fistful of algae. I also added a korallia 2 in the back to help with circulation behind the rockwork. I'm hoping this will added to the growth and polyp extension of the coral. Hopefully the added flow will cut back on some of the algae growth by helping remove more detritus.

I may finally get around to mounting some of my frags that have been on my frag rack for a while. I got a few open spots and I have a tyree undata, a hawkins, and a war coral favia that will do nicely. Once everything looks better I will take a pic of the progress.

Well during a water change this morning my purple firefish emerged from hiding. I swore up and down he had jumped and I just couldn't find him. It had been since last sunday that I had seen him in the tank. Just glad he made it.

So you don't have any problems with the two firefish? I have one FF and am thinking about getting a purple FF. I've heard about interspecies aggression, but wasn't sure if they would look to similar to each other.

None at all. When I picked up the purple one, the store had two tanks with one of each in them for a long time. They actually hang out. I haven't seen any aggression.

Archived