Top Shelf Aquatics

Steely's 40 breeder

steely185

steely185

Well the group buy dropped so no APEX for now. Good news is that everything is responding well to the change in light. The Acans are puffing up more and maybe getting more color back to them. The best news is that my algae problem is starting to be controlled. I've been using ROWAphos, API Algaefix and the change in light. The dictyota algae is dropping back more with each dose. I absolutely hate this algae as it is paper thin and grows on virtually anything quickly. I dose the algae fix every three days as directed and it is working. Nothing other than algae is effected. That's about it. Got a trip out of town next week so we will see how the tank does for 4 days. Should be just fine though.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
steely185

The Kenya tree finally perked up under the new lighting. When perked up it helps fill that right side of the tank.

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

Thanks.

Not much to update right now. Tank is doing great and everything is inflating nicely under the new lights. I had to break off my garf bonsai tonight though. The kenya tree is inflating so much that it is touching the bonsai and ticking it off. Garf is so sensitive that the slightest thing will keep it from coloring up nicely. That's about it for now.

My corals are really starting to respond to the new lights now. My red planet has got more red and the green is starting to come out in it. Officially no more dictyota algae now and the tank looks great now. Looking good. Picking up some Tyree undata and a piece of leng sy cap this weekend. Sps will be done. Just coasting for now.

Decided to add some security to the tank. I went ahead and purchased a apex controller package with temp, pH and ORP probes, vortech control module, and a hanna phosphate checker for my tank. I figure I can simplify the tank and add some piece of mind when traveling. Looking forward to controlling the tank with my phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to mounting my tyree blue polyp green cap to an aquamag. I have it on the back glass and it looks nice. Nice to see a purple, a pink and a green cap in the tank. Good color balance and each is spread out. I had a frag of pearlberry that fell in the middle of the night a couple days ago. It fell on my acan echinata. Needless to say half of the pearlberry was eaten down to the skeleton. A bummer but the rest is still kicking. I will probably move it to the twenty and pick up a new frag of pearlberry. The tank is doing good and is really just kind of coasting.

Last little tidbit. I've been thinking about picking up the tank in this link with sump and stand to replace the twenty. It will fit nicely in the garage and will make a good frag tank as well as a shallow tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1834158

Finally got around to mounting my tyree blue polyp green cap to an aquamag. I have it on the back glass and it looks nice. Nice to see a purple, a pink and a green cap in the tank. Good color balance and each is spread out. I had a frag of pearlberry that fell in the middle of the night a couple days ago. It fell on my acan echinata. Needless to say half of the pearlberry was eaten down to the skeleton. A bummer but the rest is still kicking. I will probably move it to the twenty and pick up a new frag of pearlberry. The tank is doing good and is really just kind of coasting.

Last little tidbit. I've been thinking about picking up the tank in this link with sump and stand to replace the twenty. It will fit nicely in the garage and will make a good frag tank as well as a shallow tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1834158

sorry to hear about the pearlberry. never hurts to have two, though!

i saw that tank/stand for sale -- pretty sweet setup, if you ask me. wouldn't blame you for jumping on it!

Still thinking about that tank. Probably gonna pick some ORA pieces up on Monday to try and finish that collection. My apex unit arrives tomorrow and looking forward to hooking it up this weekend. Been busy with work and noticed some good growth when looking at the tank tonight. Gonna have to frag some stuff soon. I'll try and snag some picks this weekend.

what light level do you recommend for the spumosa and blue tort frags you gave me? i keep moving them around to different depths, but i haven't had any luck finding a spot that makes them happy.

what light level do you recommend for the spumosa and blue tort frags you gave me? i keep moving them around to different depths, but i haven't had any luck finding a spot that makes them happy.

They are both mid to upper level in my tank almost directly under the halides. Also right in front of the vortech so strong flow.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my apex hooked up over the weekend. Still working out the kinks (a few power resets that require me to reprogram everything, think it has to do with downloading of updates). I love it. Still working on the WXM module but can tell I will love it as well. I like the idea of being able to switch from different intensity and modes through out the day based on time or other variables. I really like being able to switch from short pulse to lagoon mode through out the day to provide for corals on the bottom of the tank and top of the tank. Very cool and would highly advise it.

So here is my thoughts on a possible project for this tank. I like the lighting on the tank but I'm not quite crazy about the light spread. I've been debating on building an LED strip of lights measuring 3" by 36". It would probably be 80 degree optics and run dimmable drivers. It would be slightly more royal blue cree than white. I'm not looking for much more light, just enough to cover about a 4" x 36" stretch along the back of the tank. I really want to go down the road of LED vs T5 since I think the LEDs will blend better with the halides.

This is what I was thinking about going with so let me know what you think and what else I may need.

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-54/24-...mium-LED/Detail

Thanks. I have to work on getting my pH up a bit and hopefully things will color up a bit. I may start using a 2part soon now that I hav the apex. It should make getting the timing down easy.

Still hunting down a few ORA pieces that I don't have but that's about it. Looking for some Purple Plasma, Chips acro, another pearlberry to replace a partially eaten one, oregon tort and one other that I can't recall at the moment.

Archived