SaltCritters.com

Steely's 40 breeder

steely185

Not much of an update but no flatworms noticed on my daily inspections. Just hoping the corals I quarantined will bounce back soon. I got some things in the mix right now so if all goes well I may be switching lights sooner or later. I may go back to metal halides or make the jump to the aqua illumination LED setups with a profilux controller. I miss the shimmer. This may not be for some time and some things will have to happen first but I'm leaning in that direction.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you sure its safe to dip the coral for so long in Revive without damaging more the tissue? thought it was a 15-20 mins bath? How much are you adding per gallon of water? I got rid of some flatworms in a Blue Stag and some other acro in just one dip for 10 mins.

Its sad to see the corals dying like that. Hopefully they all get well soon :)

Are you sure its safe to dip the coral for so long in Revive without damaging more the tissue? thought it was a 15-20 mins bath? How much are you adding per gallon of water? I got rid of some flatworms in a Blue Stag and some other acro in just one dip for 10 mins.

Its sad to see the corals dying like that. Hopefully they all get well soon :)

It should be fine to dip that long. I have dipped for that long in the past with no ill effects for the coral. They may stress a bit after but it does the trick. I use the recommended 4 caps for 1 gallon. I probably won't be dipping again for a while though since I haven't noticed any flatworms.

• 2 weeks later...
+1 That is absolutely stunning, I love all the SPS. And that color on the monti cap is just awesome! :D

Thanks. It's had its bumps and bruises but always comes back and is looking good.

Thinking about picking up a nice camera soon if some things work out. Any recommendations? Definately looking to get some quality pics.

This tank is awesome! I love your pair of maroon clowns. Any aggression problems with them toward your other fish?

No aggression problems at all. The blue damsel is the most aggressive in the tank but the female maroon keeps him in check. The clowns will eat from your fingers and are not aggressive towards me at all. They don't host anything in the tank except for the occasional interest in the frogspawn. The lack of hosting keeps the aggression down.

Dude, you have some serious SPS growth like so quick

I don't do anything to special. Kalk in my top off. Weekly water change. I Add amino acids every so often. I have been using tropic marin pro coral organic the last month or so and that may have helped on some growth. People have told me it is crack for corals.

I think like in any tank once your frags have a nice base to them they really start to take off. This tank has just been hitting it's sweet spot lately.

Side note: I have been debating on switching to 3 modules of aqua illumination LED using a profilux in the next couple of months.

Side note: I have been debating on switching to 3 modules of aqua illumination LED using a profilux in the next couple of months.

are you not happy with the T5s? They look great. i know the user "Rehype" was using the AI LEDs with the profilux controller -- he was able to do some pretty amazing things with it (simulate lightning storms, etc.) -- but, i believe he got rid of them because he wasn't necessarily able to get the colors/growth he was looking for(?). you might want to talk to him about it.

i personally am not a fan of the spotlighting effect i've seen from people using the AI fixtures, but that's personal preference i guess.

are you not happy with the T5s? They look great. i know the user "Rehype" was using the AI LEDs with the profilux controller -- he was able to do some pretty amazing things with it (simulate lightning storms, etc.) -- but, i believe he got rid of them because he wasn't necessarily able to get the colors/growth he was looking for(?). you might want to talk to him about it.

i personally am not a fan of the spotlighting effect i've seen from people using the AI fixtures, but that's personal preference i guess.

I'm happy with my T5s but miss the shimmer. I like the control over the fixture that you have and ability to really tweak things.

I think with elevating the fixtures a bit that you can get rid of the spotlighting effect.

If my breeder turns out half as nice as yours I'll be happy! Really digging the colors and SPS growth. Great job! Cheers.

Thanks. Just give it a little time and you'll have it looking really nice. You got a good setup to start with and that helps a lot.

Well everything panned out. I got a new job that I start in a couple weeks and don't have to move. I plan on buying myself something nice to celebrate. I'm torn on buying a nice dslr camera or an apex controller (one obviously costing more than the other).

how's your battle with the AEFWs going? any troubles? haven't heard any updates.

Great. I haven't noticed any with nightly and daily checks. The infected coral is starting to get it's color back some and has good polyp extension now. I only had to break off a small branch of the coral. I tend to check regularly now by taking some corals and giving them a good blast in front of the vortech or other powerhead. I consider myself very lucky.

Excited. I just got done picking up my Canon t2i camera and tripod. I still need to order 105mm sigma macro. Ready to start taking some worthy pics.

New camera with a stock lens. Here is a few pics with no adjustments out of the box. Colors are the most accurate I have got to date. Loving the new camera.

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

awesome pics -- never hear anything bad about that canon.

that pink/orange cap is awesome. it seems to vary a little bit from the old camera to the new camera - which color is closer to true color?

and, are you gonna throw in a frag of it if i buy that bulb from you? ;) (is it still available?)

awesome pics -- never hear anything bad about that canon.

that pink/orange cap is awesome. it seems to vary a little bit from the old camera to the new camera - which color is closer to true color?

and, are you gonna throw in a frag of it if i buy that bulb from you? ;) (is it still available?)

The new camera has the most true to life color to date. I still have the bulb and I can throw in a frag of the cap for you. It's about to grow into my ORA Joe the coral anyway. I got some other frags if you are interested.

Well some bad news. My lubbocks fairy wrasse jumped out on me the other night. I found him the next morning when doing a water change. I really need to work on building a net for a lid before buying another wrasse.

Thought I would show a few actinic shots (2 blue+ bulbs only). The pic with the cap shows how close it grew to the Joe the coral. I fragged part of that cap yesterday to give some room.

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

sorry to hear about the wrasse -- if you're looking for good netting (did i already tell you this?), there's a member on here named Acroholic that sells some very nice/sturdy clear mesh with ~1/4" holes, and he'll cut it to size for you -- i just made a top out of this mesh and some window screen framing/spline from Lowe's. i'd definitely recommend this.

Archived