inTank Media Baskets

Steely's 40 breeder

steely185

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordered a super reef octopus 1000 int model skimmer. It's the cone model with the new bubble blaster pumps. Hoping this will work better than the nw110 model that was in here.

Those acans are beautiful, Have you found any LFS locally that have any reasonably priced? Fishworld had some about the size of mr. corals 10 dollar ones for $120!!!!

Thank you.

I haven't found any locally that are cheaper than $80 at Atlantis. Not much selection at the LFS when it comes to acans. I've just ordered online predominantly. I just look for good deals. The best selections and prices I've found are mr. Coral, Austin aquafarms and buythereef.

My skimmer is on back order so I'm still waiting on the super reef octopus.

I'm seriously considering removing a large rock in the tank with zoas, Kenya tree, shrooms, ricordia, palys and algae. I really want to clean the tank up a bit and replace it with a new rock. This would give me a better place to mount a few more sps that I have and make it look nice.

Last bit of news. I got four nice new acans in the mail today from buythereef. They are a great place to get acans. At this point the acan garden is getting big. I've almost considered setting my 20 back up for just my acans and a few lps. I will probably move them to the shallow not long after the new lights go up.

My skimmer is on back order so I'm still waiting on the super reef octopus.

I'm seriously considering removing a large rock in the tank with zoas, Kenya tree, shrooms, ricordia, palys and algae. I really want to clean the tank up a bit and replace it with a new rock. This would give me a better place to mount a few more sps that I have and make it look nice.

Last bit of news. I got four nice new acans in the mail today from buythereef. They are a great place to get acans. At this point the acan garden is getting big. I've almost considered setting my 20 back up for just my acans and a few lps. I will probably move them to the shallow not long after the new lights go up.

Im going to check the place out now, If you ever frag anything let me know. Im on the southside.

More acans on the way.

I removed my montipora spumosa today. It is a favorite of monti eating nudis and I noticed a few on it. It needed to be moved anyway. It was practically touching my cap and with a few nudis showing up it's way to close for comfort.

I also took a few small frags and removed them. One was a duplicate and the other has never really grown well. They will both move to the shallow tank.

Hoping some things will color up soon. I unplugged my osmolator when doing a water change last week and the still plugged in power cable dropped in the sump. It was in for about two hours. Nothing died at all and since it's a week later I think I'm in the clear. Many of the corals did stress quite a bit though. Many are a much paler version of what they were. Hopefully they will color up soon. I haven't tested phosphates yet but will just to verify that phosphates aren't part of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The tank is looking good man. If you get the chance check out Reef Chief in suffolk. I used to go there when i lived in va. great selection and Jeff matches online prices.

Looking great Steely. Love the growth on your SPS. You got some nice Acans too. I started a small acan island. I wish I could find cheap frags like you to fill it :D

Any news on the skimmer? I got one a few weeks maybe a month ago and I love it. I bought the SSS model cause I saw the regular xp1000 side by side and having the pump inside forced them to use larger diameter cone on the base. The SSS model looks so much better than the regular. Has a lot more reaction chamber space. The bubble blaster is a little beast and pulls tons of air.

I ended up moving all my acans to my shallow rimless tank. I wanted a cleaner sandbed and have had some issues with slime algae of late.

I still haven't got my skimmer yet. The skimmers are supposed to ship out near the end of the month from Vue. Looking forward to the stronger pump and hoping it will clean some of the slime algae up. The corals are starting to color up some more after getting a couple hours of low voltage a few weeks ago.

Not much to update at the moment.

I removed my pink cap yesterday. I found a few montipora eating nudis and decided to yank it and treat it for a bit.

I picked a small derasa clam today. Petco had it so it wouldn't make it long there but they did have them for $35. Not bad and I had been looking for a derasa. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

I put a little work into this tank this weekend. The tank has been up for a year now so I have lost some sand over time with numerous cleanings. I went ahead and added 5lbs of arag alive Sand to the display. I also replaced a ushio 20k bulb that burned out on me with a Phoenix 14k from my old sunpod. Side by side the Phoenix bulbs are brighter and more blue. The new bulb and the new sand really cleaned the look of the tank up. I went ahead and ordered another Phoenix for the other side of the fixture. It's getting better after some neglect of late.

My new skimmer is on the way finally. Vue finally replenished stock and has begun shipping again. New bulb is on the way as well. I think the bulbs have contributed a bit to the slime algae in the tank. The side I switched bulbs on has very little now. The rocks are much cleaner and obviously with more sand added it is cleaner looking. Looking forward to the new skimmer so I can move the nw110 to my shallow tank.

• 4 weeks later...

The tank is finally getting back in shape. I dropped my salinity a bit and things have colored up. I'm going to try and mount my pink cap again this weekend. It's been a while but needs to go back in there. I'll try and take some pics soon when the cap goes back in there.

Moved the cap back this morning. Unfortunately broke about 4" of cap off. That sucks but at the rate it grows it's ok. Did some cleaning and added a blue tuxedo urchin to the tank to take care of the nuisance algae and any other algae it's interested in for now. Cool little guys and it's nice to have a dependable lawnmower in the tank.

Got an updated FTS (not that impressive but things are rebounding nicely). Got some nice closeups though. Enjoy.

IMG_1414.jpg

New tuxedo hard at work

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well my LFS hooked me up. My sunburst anthias died so they made up for it a bit. I picked up a purple firefish to go with the red firefish and both are doing great. The LFS hooked me up with a fire shrimp that I was looking at for free. Pretty good peeps in my opinion.

I'm also thinking of upping the flow in this tank. I may add one of my korallias back to the tank.

Score! my LFS won't give a mint for free. Not to mention if I lose some livestock.

You should take a bone cutter or something, frag those SPS and send me a frag pack :lol:

Archived