Pod Your Reef

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

The WM is the only new one.

The Mummy Eye and Bubble Gum monster are from the growout. You can see how big they have gotten! The EME is one I picked up and its looking AMAZING.

-Dave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An old Digital Rebel. My girlfriends brother has let me "borrow" it for the past 5-6 months.

And guess what I just picked up....

Hanna Checker PO4 Meter

Milwaukee Digital Refractometer

Wahoo!

-Dave

I thought your name sounded familiar. Trauma was the bomb couple years ago. I played against aftermath about 5 years ago when you guys just got into xball. I was on shockwave at the time. Anyway aftermath destroyed us and everyone else in d3.

I bet it was great playing at that level

Maxi Mini's are in the building :)

Pictures tonight!

-Dave

Awesome Dave. I bet they are going to look fantastic.

Yep. Well I had to stay late for work so no photo's yet.

My new stuff should be in today so I am going to do a super cleaning of the tank and snap some photo's. I have today off!

-Dave

Sorry it has taken so long for this tank to be updated. Its really been on auto pilot until the move. Things are looking great and really starting to get a few mini-colonies. Mini darts are still on the tank but are very strange, they will hide through out the day and then appear randomly. I think if they were in a smaller tank they would be out and about more.

I have been working on trades for more chalices. I currently have five and working on Flamethrower next :)

This will be the first tank of my bookshelf stand. It will result in some REALLY cool top down shots.

Sorry for the blah photo's.

Maxi Mini

IMG_4973-vi.jpg

Wu Tang Clan

IMG_4956-vi.jpg

The Baby

IMG_4948-vi.jpg

Family Photo

IMG_4965-vi.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

-Dave

Here's a mini review on a few new pieces of equipment I bought. The first is the new Milwaukee Digital Refractometer and the next is a Hanna PO4 checker. I was able to pick the Milwaukee up for $110 and the Hanna for 39.95 both include shipping. I figured both of these will last my entire reefing hobby so why not spend a little extra?

Milwaukee Refractometer

This is pretty standard to use. You plug a 9v battery in the back and screw the cap back on. This includes and oring to make sure water does not get to the electronics. When you turn it on the percentage of the battery is displayed first, then the method of measurement of the salinity ( PSU, PPT, S.G ) and then the main screen. Calibration was simple, fill the sensor with RO water and press zero, it calibrates and then it shows up as zero. After this you wipe the sensor dry and then add your salt water, press test and bamb you have your salinity. It only takes about 1-2 seconds before it is displayed. The best part about this is it only takes 1-2 drops to cover the sensor. I could have bought a standard refractometer but I figured what the hell!

Hanna PO4 Checker

This is rather new to the reef community. Until recently you had to anty-up $200 to check you PO4 accurately or spend $15 on a PO4 test kit that just sucked. I have always wondered what my PO4 was but did not want to fork out all the cash. Hanna just introduced this to the market in March and has a price tag of only $40! I bit the bullet and purchased this along with the Milwaukee. First you take the screw out of the bottom and install the battery. Press the center button to turn it on and then it will load for 2-3 seconds. After this you take one of the test vials and fill it up with 10mL of tank water( there is a line on the vial). Insert the vial into the checker, press the button and let it scan the water. After this you open the checker back up, pour the regent into the vial and shake the vial for 20 seconds. Load the vial back in and press and hold the center button. This will start a timer for three minutes and then register your PO4. My only gripe is once it is complete you only have ten seconds to read the reading.

Overall I am very happy with my purchase. They both match each other and make my life a whole lot easier!

IMG_4946-vi.jpg

-Dave

mew - Babys breath. I know the caps really have been taking off. I have two-three more in the back too!

-Dave

Its one I received from Adam ( divec ) about two-three months ago. Starts with a V and I cant put my finger on it. Its MUCH more neon green in person.

-Dave

Thanks Adam. Its REALLY based out but I think it will start to take off soon. It gets a TON of flow under the Vortech.

-Dave

Thanks Adam. Its REALLY based out but I think it will start to take off soon. It just gets a TON of flow under the Vortech.

-Dave

Make sure to give that bad boy some room....once it creates a nice solid base, it will start shooting branches out like crazy. It LOVES flow.

Some good LED news. I have found 40 and 60 degree optics for the XP-G's that just snap on. Wahhoo! Now I will be able to use XP-G's on the fixtures!

-Dave

P.S - Next week I should have a frag of Flamethrower chalice!

Hows the eel doing? Any issues with it jumping or anything. I'm considering one for my 40g breeder, but don't want to cover the top. Thanks in advance.

animalmaster6
P.S - Next week I should have a frag of Flamethrower chalice!

omgomgomg Nice!!!

I read Reef Hobbyist Magazine about the first prson who owned the Flame Thrower.

Now that you are getting it is awesome.

Jeff - No problems out of the eel. I try and keep him well fed.

Animal - I know! I'm working on a really nice collection!

Will - Thanks man. Your welcome to stop by anytime!

Side note I am getting a fish I have seriously been searching for 4+ years....

Rainbow Goby

105564L.jpg

Not much on them but I think they are such a COOL fish. I also have decided on my third tank for the bookshelf tank...NPS. Bring it!

-Dave

Archived