SaltCritters.com

RIMLESS

jjjo

LPS can be sooo resilient, I had a mini tank crash after a cucumber croaked. I lost a royal gramma, a clown and my elegance coral I got from my Mom for christmas. definitely bummed me out. How are the corals doing in your friends tank? Did your yellows make it? Sorry for your loss but you are keeping a good attitude about it. So easy to just give up.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

damn thats dissappointing witht he heater failing. I guess the silver lining here is that its a chance to build something bigger and better.

good luck

did the yellows make it?

well its official.

I already have reserved 2 GRADE A-AA euphyllia (not the normal dull green/brown or green tipped).

one of them is an orange aussie torch. the other torch is one that has history from upstate reef society...enough said.

(here is reference pic... not mine, the person who im getting this coral from took the pic)

DSCN2050.JPG

there is one more torch coral ive been trying to get for years now... so if i manage to get lucky, ill post a pic of it.

I also plan on bringing a few of my zoanthids back, as well as redo the aquascape, and clean out all the HA and replace the sandbed and lights.

Its going to be a busy weekend in 6 days.... WOW thats soon!

anyway, to continue the bad luck.... out of my LOCKED dorm room, my 5 month old MACBOOK PRO was stolen... so now im minus a few thousand dollars :(

Oh man, you have some bad luck. First the tank, then the Macbook Pro. I'm glad your sticking with it and getting the tank back up and running. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

10 years after my father passed away, my mom gave me his fish tank. I set it up when I was 14 and took care of it like it was my baby. After about 2 years, the water seals "expired" and 55 gallons of water made its way through all 3 stories of our home (including the basement). The water took down the ceiling in our dining room which coincidentally crashed onto the dinner table holding my birthday presents. Yes, it was my 16th birthday and I watched in horror as the sheetrock swung and fell right onto the surprise presents my parents had left behind... Not to mention, my tank was in shambles and now I had to explain to my mom why there were fish in the bathtub and the house looked like I had done some "industrial" re-decorating. The point is, I went through a phase where I had no desire to rebuild my tank after such a disaster. 8 years later, I finally convinced myself to buy a new tank...

Keep with it and don't give up!

-Carl

Yes jjjo, once you're addicted/hook is hard for you to quit no matter what happens!

Looking forward to see a nicer tank of yours soon :happy:

Oh man, you have some bad luck. First the tank, then the Macbook Pro. I'm glad your sticking with it and getting the tank back up and running. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

10 years after my father passed away, my mom gave me his fish tank. I set it up when I was 14 and took care of it like it was my baby. After about 2 years, the water seals "expired" and 55 gallons of water made its way through all 3 stories of our home (including the basement). The water took down the ceiling in our dining room which coincidentally crashed onto the dinner table holding my birthday presents. Yes, it was my 16th birthday and I watched in horror as the sheetrock swung and fell right onto the surprise presents my parents had left behind... Not to mention, my tank was in shambles and now I had to explain to my mom why there were fish in the bathtub and the house looked like I had done some "industrial" re-decorating. The point is, I went through a phase where I had no desire to rebuild my tank after such a disaster. 8 years later, I finally convinced myself to buy a new tank...

Keep with it and don't give up!

-Carl

YEA! tell me about it (referring to the comment on bad luck).

However, no matter how bad it gets, i love the hobby too much to ever quit!!!! And that is quite some stories you posted. WOW. speaking of bad luck.... haha. glad you convinced yourself to get a new tank though. People who quit because of small/major mishaps really dont know what they are missing. sometimes a failure, can lead to something really really good. (sounds dumb, but its true IMO)

Yes jjjo, once you're addicted/hook is hard for you to quit no matter what happens!

Looking forward to see a nicer tank of yours soon :happy:

Word.

Im addicted until every last coral on my wish list has been fulfilled, and is IN my tank. and after that, i will sit back and relax... and watch the tank... i think im addicted to buying corals/trading more than actually keeping them for now. :) kind of hard to enjoy stuff i dont have yet... if that makes any sense at all. haha

anyway, pics to come soon... first i need to massively clean out the tank.

-oh and the green hammer coral will no longer be with me. i sold it to help pay for new t5 bulbs :(. besides, with the three or four torch corals im putting in my tank... i dont think it would fit lol.

happy reefing everyone,

dan

the tank has been redone!!!! i will post pics on thursday, as i am in NYC for my grandfather's funeral.

i got some of my zoanthids back from my friend who was taking care of them during the crash, as well as some new corals.

first off i redid the aquascape. IMO it looks much better! (and a bit more open than it was before). i also added a K1 propeller pump to support my euphyllia. lastly, i added new bulbs. the stock t5 bulbs were not the best. i replaced with geissman (spelling)

i hate to say it, but my tank is still zoanthid dominant, as i have yet to find the funds to start going heavy into LPS.

i DID however, sell my hammer coral, and i replaced it with 2 grade AA torches! they are absolutely amazing. one of them is neon orange/yellow with white tips (amazing blue tips under the LEDs) and a toxic green torch (some upstate reef society people call it "todds torch". i placed the torches within 2 inches from eachother, and when they expand they look like one big colony. i love how the orange contrasts with the green!

the only bad news here is i totally lost all of the yellow zoanthids. im not too sad about it though, as i feel like my tank is on its way to becoming even better than it was before.

anywho pics to come soon,

dan

jjjo

Question about your lighting setup.

What kind of mounting bracket is your powerbrite led mounted on?

Is it custom?

If yes, what supplies did you use to contruct this bracket?

Could you give me the dimensions as well?

You have a sick setup by the way. And a good taste for corals. Hope everything goes well with your tank.

Sorry about your grandfather. My condolences..

Scott

:closedeyes: Sorry to hear that jjjo. My condolences to you too.

And also your yellow zoas. :( I'm sure you will make yuor tank much nicer than before! :happy:

dont worry, pics coming soon!!!! pending my torch corals are fully open. they seem to be the most temperamental when it comes to acclimating. all of the zoanthids that i put back into my tank were open the day i brought them back.

anyway, for laughs, i guess ill list the zoanthids i got back.

these frags are the EXACT same pieces that were in my tank before the heater crash!

-envy orange palythoa

-kedds redds

-tubs blues

-yellow eagle eyes

and some new zoanthids

-some green skirted ones, and some yellow centered ones (not the same as the yellows i used to have :()

and the rest:

-baby ricordea yumas on a rock

-1 pink actinodiscus shroom

-1 blue actinodiscus shroom

-"todds" nuke green torch

-a yellow/purple (orange under LED) torch similar to cherrycorals.com aussie torch

and the livestock i would like to add on friday

-green/yellow tipped brown torch

-zoanthid frags

-green polyp toadstool

-pair of percula clowns

-ricordeas or regular shrooms

and thanks,

my grandfathers funeral was today. wasnt such a good day :(

Sorry about your grandfather and your tank crash. Keep your chin up and keep on trucking. You seem to be managing everything really well. I'm definitely looking forward to the new pics.

Did you say you had a stealth heater that crashed? I'm a little worried now about mine.

Tenacious716

Dan,

I'm really glad to have kept your zoanthids alive, and I'm happy they're back where they belong!

Looking forward to Friday, got the alarm set already! LFS here we come! :D

yes it was the Visi Therm Stealth heater.

i went back to the old Visi therm glass heaters...

Dan,

I'm really glad to have kept your zoanthids alive, and I'm happy they're back where they belong!

Looking forward to Friday, got the alarm set already! LFS here we come! :D

Thanks for all the help cali!! and yea friday! u better wake up this time haha :)

teaser:

100_3026-1.jpg

LED only... and yes the green torch really is that green. i will grab daylight tomorrow, when the torches are more open.

thanks man.

there really is 1 thing i hate about LEDs... they make every photo looked photoshop. i might turn em off tomorrow for the daylight pics.

Tank looks great. The single arch is an awesome aquascape. Very clean and becomes a great center point. Did you use epoxy or acrylic rods or pvc to hold the rock up or just a careful balancing act?

Archived