• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
awesome growth on those kedd's

i thought your yellows looked familiar.

r2r :D

thanks!

and yea... r2r. and my local club forum... lol

nice, clean, and elegant look, i'm digging it!

thank you very much!

still debating on whether to grow some coralline on the back wall, or keep it scraped down.

Ya really.. very pretty :)

:)

thanks! Can't wait to see what happens with the 5.5

-dan

Wow! Thats really extreme fast growth! Nice! In no time, it's gonna be a big colony! :happy:

I really hope so!

i gave my LFS a frag of these a while ago, (5 polyps) and then i went back 4 months later, and it was 30 polyps. so i hope that it does as well as that!

Nice! Keep us update on the growth :happy: I love to see growth comparison pics :P

i sure will!!

if you look in the background of the kedds redds pics, you can also see joker palys growth.

-dan

i sure will!!

if you look in the background of the kedds redds pics, you can also see joker palys growth.

-dan

Yup,I just realise it :P Nice growth as well. :happy:

Sometimes we didn't realise that our corals actually are growing until we took some pics after sometimes to compare. Lol!

Cos we are staring at our tanks everyday till we can't really see the difference :happy:

looks great!

my only concern is, since u added the lense flare in the left hand top corner.... shouldnt there be a slight drop shadow of some kind behind the text (in the 4 o'clock position, and very transparent)?

also, i suggest using the warp tool to straighten out the corner FTS shot... but thats just a minor thing. other than that, it looks great!

-dan

another craptastic cell phone pic.

012509_1829.jpg

anyway, tank seems to be doing okay, based on a few cell pics i got from my brother (8th grade, still at home duh lol)

OH AND A SNOW DAY HERE AT COLLEGE TODAY!! no studio art classes today... or art history thank god!!!

the naming on the yellows is coming along nicely. should have a final name soon.

lastly, if ANYONE has a mummy eye, or miami hurricane chalice, they would be willing to sell or trade, LMK. got bit by the chalice bug, and need some come march.

-dan

is there ANY chance that corals can survive a heater malfunction?

My parents woke up at 6:45 am this morning to the wonderful smell of BURNING. (smoke coming out of the sump, water very very hot)

comes to find out, my heater DIED. and thats not all that died...

immediately upon looking at the tank, my parents removed all the visible mortalities:

-2.5 year old clownfish (my best bud RIP)

-2 peppermint shrimp

-queen conch

-all other snails

-hermit crabs

-a lot of floating pods

and then there are corals: which arent DEAD bud look really really really bad.

is it possible that my zoanthids will survive this? or are they doomed to die?

pics:

4-1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

a 50 percent waterchange will be done pending salt is mixed by tomorrow, and a bag of carbon has been added. also the skimmer is pulling skimmate like crazy (full cup in 2ish hours)

its been one hectic and sad morning...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! stupid heater! what kinda heater was it? I hope everything recovers :( what was the temp in there..the frogspawn looks like it will make it

not sure. im not sure if i stated this earlier in the thread, but IM in college and the tank is four hours away (cant just go and see it).

my parents have done a good job, and this was out of their control.

it was one of those stealth heaters (not the glass ones) and ive heard good things about them, so...

it came out of my 55, and it was a two hundy (200w)... my parents have since (this morning) gotten a new heater from lfs, and its only 100w.

the tank prolly was upwards to 90-110 degrees... im not sure though

also im worried that things were effected by electrical current...

thanks for the reply.

waterchange done, and carbon added around 2:30pm.

things clearing up, and the hammer coral started to expand more already.

i really hope things pull through.

as long as i dont lose my colony of yellow zoanthids, or my hammer coral, ill be okay.

(the rest of the frags can be replaced if they dont make it)

OMG..I didn't even think about the yellows..that hurtz :(

I reaally hope that everything will make it jjjo :tears:

yea, i pray to god, that the colony will remain unaffected..., i really could care less about the other zoanthids. (they can all be found and replaced).

i have NEVER seen zoanthids like my yellows in a store, or online for sale, or on reefcentral. and im not sure if i could ever replace them :tears:

Oh!!! jjjo, I really feels sad for you!! Sorry to hear what has happen...

Why would that heater gone crazy and cook/boil everything! I hated it when equipments go crazy without even any signs or warning... :angry:

I really hopes that your yellow zoas would survive... Dun be too sad (I noe you would but...) I feels that dun give up hope on those zoas that looks quite bad in shape... Think some might survive again though. They are generally quite hardy! :happy:

And yes! Think most importantly now is the replace carbon, and also keeps doing regular water change till all water parameter is back to normal... gotta take note that some corals might still be dying in the process so continue of water change is important

Hopes everything goes well for you from now.... Your zoas were growing/multiplying fast and this thing had to happen :tears:

That sucks! I'm hoping that what's left will survive! Stealths are tihs! We've had a ton of them fail on us at work! DK why ppl say they're great,just my experience...

WOW that is awful I send my condolences.

I actually had that happen in my old 10 gallon. Although luckily it used to be in my bedroom. All of the sudden my girlfriend goes do you smell something burning, my back up battery started making all kinds a of weird beeps then all the sudden. BBBLLEWWWSHHHH! Huge air bubbles come bursting out of the tank! I ran to the tank and saw it was the bubbles were pouring out of my heater where the cord runs into it.

Black Plastic 150w Stealth heater.

Very upsetting.

thanks for the replies.

the tank is now devoid of corals pretty much.

they are healing in a friends tank.

i also had a huge WC done, carbon added, polypad added, a new heater, etc, so i hope it will be good when i get home in march.

ive also decided to restock the tank, so stay tuned. (not with zoanthids tho)

-dan

• 2 weeks later...

quick update:

the tank will be redone march 7th... should be a good day.

Im not sure if i am replacing the sand or not.... not sure. i do know currently, the tank has only 1 coral that is actually thriving. the rest are either dead, or at my friend's house.

(the coral is my hammer coral... which has now survived TWO different tank crashes)

The tank is being redone as a LPS dominant, with a few softies/zoas. should be interesting. perhaps also will add a superman montipora, or a sunset. idk tho.

-dan

quick update:

the tank will be redone march 7th... should be a good day.

Im not sure if i am replacing the sand or not.... not sure. i do know currently, the tank has only 1 coral that is actually thriving. the rest are either dead, or at my friend's house.

(the coral is my hammer coral... which has now survived TWO different tank crashes)

The tank is being redone as a LPS dominant, with a few softies/zoas. should be interesting. perhaps also will add a superman montipora, or a sunset. idk tho.

-dan

Helluva day to redo the tank bro... MY B-DAY!!! :happydance:

Seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!!!

Archived