Pod Your Reef

RIMLESS

jjjo

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paleoreef103

For curiosity, is that Gramma in the old tank or the new tank? If it was from your old tank I was going to suggest a pseudochromis. This is mainly because it seems like you're not focusing on fish very much and a lone pseudochromis would be a pretty neat lone fish. In addition they are tougher than nails so no worries about keeping them alive (except for jumping...), they're voracious predators of pests, but not of snails or crabs and they're neat the way they're constantly snaking around the rock. They have some serious attitude too that makes them very personable. Plus either a springeri (black with blue lines on their heads) or a neon (orange with blue eye lines) are very striking visually.

Cool tank

thanks!

For curiosity, is that Gramma in the old tank or the new tank? If it was from your old tank I was going to suggest a pseudochromis. This is mainly because it seems like you're not focusing on fish very much and a lone pseudochromis would be a pretty neat lone fish. In addition they are tougher than nails so no worries about keeping them alive (except for jumping...), they're voracious predators of pests, but not of snails or crabs and they're neat the way they're constantly snaking around the rock. They have some serious attitude too that makes them very personable. Plus either a springeri (black with blue lines on their heads) or a neon (orange with blue eye lines) are very striking visually.

The gramma was from the 55.

and you are correct, my focus has NEVER been fish. (After my ultimate failure with a pygmy angel, i gave up on the fish).

literally, the care of the rimless nano without a fish, is EASIER than a FO freshwater tank full of tetras... :)

that said, im not sure how much longer i can stand the tank without any fish. AFTER i fix the drains on the nano (pointing them upright instead of where they are now, as they are not skimming the surface for $hit), i plan on doing the following:

either:

-goby w/ pistol shrimp

-clown goby w/ neon goby and one/or other small fish

or:

-clownfish pair (meh they might RIP my LPS apart)

or..:

a few cardinalfish

or......:

will end up buying another coral.

The real porblem with the fish isnt so much keeping them alive... as it will be keeping it in the tank (without it jumping)

-dan

disaster999

i agree. having a rimless tank means jumping fish. i have numerous of fish jump out of my rimless tank and its really frustrating

i agree. having a rimless tank means jumping fish. i have numerous of fish jump out of my rimless tank and its really frustrating

Exactly. maybe i will just throw a fireshrimp cleaner in my tank or something... they are just as interesting as fish IMO, and DON'T jump around.

-dan

• 2 weeks later...

well, it happened. i knew sooner or later it would happen.

i was bitten by the chalice bug.

so i plan on ramping my tank up a bit.

the sandbed area will increase in size dramatically, to allow for the collection of chalices to take place.

i also, plan on redoing the aquascape, to become home to about 6-8 acros.

here is the plan:

untitled-2.jpg

im just simply turning the arch rock i currently have upside down, and then removing the right-hand side ledge structure. (pics page 7)

i am most likely going to keep the acans, and the green torch, however, that is still up in the air.

thanks!

the only question is, do you think 2 x 24inch t5HO with SLRs is enough to sustain these acros? (i might put a neon green birdnest coral in there too). i have had no problems growing zoanthids, or LPS so far under this light (plus i heard the blue powerbrite LEDs actually give off more PAR than the white ones and i have a total of 8 LED bulbs)

halide is also out of the question. I've had those, and am never going back. (heat issues, and bleaching chalice coral issues)

also flow wont be an issue in this tank.

-dan

quick update (last update... then im home for the summer... finally!) -perhaps i should just start a new thread.

corals leaving my system:

-orange torch coral

-all the zoanthids

-raibow acan frag

new coral already taken of before i get home:

-large hot pink and green echino colony

-vivid aquariums original echino (pic of the frag who im getting it from)

IMG_4361.jpg

-midas gold zoanthids (going to pick em up in the summer)

-sparkly red people eaters (same person im getting the midas' from)

im really nervous about the new scape. i have it all sketched up, and planned out, BUT if i cant get it to work, it will not be PRETTY. its a dismal thought... this time, no beer while scaping :(

anyway haha :), i think im going to stick with basic acros, that have been growing in my local reef club for a long time (all aquacultered frags only, no wild stuff) for the SPS stuff. im also working on the chalices. im 100% sure i will have more by this next coming friday, or definitely next next week.

thanks for looking,

dan

Keep the torch! it's so awesome :D

looking foward to see what ya do this summer with the tank omgomgomg

thanks!

im itching to get home in 4 days to get the new scape done. (and to put all the corals leaving my system in a separate 10 gallon tub)

I am going to be keeping the green torch. god i could never get rid of that one!!

-dan

well i decided to keep it

100_3094.jpg

a craptastic photo, but u get the idea. tomorrow i will get one more true to the color (there is more yellow and less brown....)

jonathanws
well i decided to keep it

100_3094.jpg

a craptastic photo, but u get the idea. tomorrow i will get one more true to the color (there is more yellow and less brown....)

lol @ the lion pic hahaha

also, this tank is incredible. great job!

closeup of the light

100_3152.jpg

Looking nice jjjo..

Can you explain how you attached the powerbrites? I have the Nova extreme 18" and am going to attach 1 or 2 powerbrites also..

Did you consider 1 white and 1 actinic? I will most likely get 2 actinics but have thought about half and half..

thanx

thanks adinsxq!

here is a new one

100_3367.jpg

(actinic shot). rainbow chalice

and this... which i need help with. any ideas on why my torch would be spewing BALLS everywhere?

100_3400.jpg

100_3401.jpg

-dan

Your torch might be spawning. Congrats, you get to see something that few people ever get to see, and even fewer in an aquarium.

Your torch might be spawning. Congrats, you get to see something that few people ever get to see, and even fewer in an aquarium.

thanks.

yeah, thats what some people in my local forum said... spawning.

gotta do a WC tomorrow then... bummer.

Archived