Top Shelf Aquatics

RIMLESS

jjjo

i looked through your thread but couldnt find it, what light fixture is that and what bulb combo do you have?

i needed a simple light that was enough to keep and grow zoanthids

http://current-usa.com/novaextremet5hox2.html

it is the newest line of these with SLRs.

i added 2 powerbrite LED fixtures to my light (one in the back, on in the front) for an extra POP, as the 2 bulbs alone werent giving the tank the proper color temp i wanted. (was too yellow)

as for bulbs, right now they are just stock bulbs. when the stock bulbs reach 12 months old, i plan on replacing with an aquablue+ and an actinic bulb.

there is a pic somewhere in this thread (page 2 i think) of the light with ONE of the powerbrites attached. i do not have a pic with the other attached. i shall get one in march however. hope this answered your question. :)

-dan

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kenthenanoguy

This tank is AMAZING!!! I really like the rimless look. Your zoas look fantastic! Good choice on lights!

I need to get me more zoas!

THANKS!!!!!!! i do hope to be a NTOTM nominee some day... i feel like im too young however (only 18).

unfortunately i do not have a pic with LEDs off. after seeing my tank with them on... im sure pics with them off would be a total letdown... as i only run 2 x t5s and the color from them isnt all that great (due to a lack of combination of bulbs)

when i get home in march, i shall take a pic tho just to compare. the LEDs make a huge difference though. (for one they give my tank an amazing blue tint, and the other is it makes the corals glow really nicely).

Ah. A LFS i go to h\setp a 5.5g ric tank with these LEDs fixtures. It looks sweet! I want to get one or two but my MH would probably drown it out. Good Luck!

hey your frags look great , how do you get them off the rock discs later when you want to put them onto the LR

thanks.

as for the frags on the ground, i hope to grow those out into nice round colonies, and leave them on the sandbed. as for the zoas already in the rocks, i hope they spread like crazy!

i dont intend on removing the zoas that are on the disks from their spot. hope that answers everything :)

-dan

So, will zoas that are on a frag disc on the sand bed eventually grow over the sand?

if all goes as planned yes they should. they not only should grow over the disk... they should start spreading to the sand .. making a nice garden so to speak. :)

-dan

if all goes as planned yes they should. they not only should grow over the disk... they should start spreading to the sand .. making a nice garden so to speak. :)

-dan

As is everyones dream for their zoas. lol. Hopefully mine do that in my 5.5.

Hi jjjo, you have a very nice looking tank with good coraline algae growth and some nice zoas.

Imo, a tank with full of potential to be NTOM if everything is going the right way! :happy:

Will be hoping to see my guess come true! Lol!

Hi jjjo, you have a very nice looking tank with good coraline algae growth and some nice zoas.

Imo, a tank with full of potential to be NTOM if everything is going the right way! :happy:

Will be hoping to see my guess come true! Lol!

thanks!:)

i sure hope your guess will come true!

thanks!!! means a lot. and ygpm.

update: i just got 2 polyps of PPRPE palys. i will be picking them up in march, when i get back home. cant wait!!!

-dan

thanks!!! means a lot. and ygpm.

update: i just got 2 polyps of PPRPE palys. i will be picking them up in march, when i get back home. cant wait!!!

-dan

man how are you going to survive that wait....Lol seems so long from now.. im just waiting for diatoms HEH

man how are you going to survive that wait....Lol seems so long from now.. im just waiting for diatoms HEH

im making my way through it... only about 7 weeks till im home again. (and at the rate which assignments in college are due... 7 weeks is too short)

haha,

dan

im getting (and already paid for) two full polyps and a few babies of these from a buddy of mine.

-lineage pprpe palys

PC231543.jpg

what ya all think? they look good? and what the heck does "PPRPE" stand for?????!

propagators purple rim people eaters... don't forget it! ;)

thanks man... i def wont forget!

Very cool tank. Cant wait to see it grow out!

:):):)

thanks!

and i think ive been bitten by the people eater bug... glad im not home or id be broke... haha!

-dan

just a bit of news:

im doing my best to get ahold of purple hornets. :) pfff things are soo awesome!

anyway,

the timer my t5s were on broke ... "UH OH"! lucky i have very caring parents, they got a new one for me today. and since it went out on friday, they made it a mission to turn the lights on at 10am, and off at 6pm, as if the timer never broke. this sounds corny and a bit childish, but i love my parents!

i should be updating again with cell phone pics later today. should be fun!

-dan

well... no pics.

the cell phone pics that were sent to me, much too small to post.

anyway, to liven things up a bit, how about we try some creativity.

Name pending... getting help from my local reef club.

100_2908-1.jpg

OH and i almost forgot to say this, but ONE MORE MONTH and the swim season is over. yes i know i know... a bit off topic, however im so excited that it just had to be said!

happy reefing,

dan

they are growing quite fast! knock on wood!

got these around christmas

100_2912.jpg

about a week later

100_2919.jpg

another 2 weeks later

100_2925.jpg

and now (got a cell phone pic from parents) they are about 11 polyps.

Archived