Cultivated Reef

RIMLESS

jjjo

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
akabryanhall

Tank looks great dan! I think you did a good job with the scape, I just moved my tank and redid it, like it much better

Tank looks great dan! I think you did a good job with the scape, I just moved my tank and redid it, like it much better

thanks!

i actually went back to the arch scape. didnt like the new scape.

wow that yuma nad the white hammer are AMAZING lemme know if you EVER frag that hammer....i would kill for some

• 2 weeks later...
peewee1467

after reading your thread, i went in my garage and started taking off the rim on my 18 gallon! im excited to start it up now. =]

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a LOOONG time since update.

A lot has changed in my tank.

The tank went from looking semi mature to VERY YOUNG. It is compromised now of mostly frags. In time i hope my "vision" of this tank comes true.

Here are some pics of the new frags:

acropora (marshal island purple and green acro ORA?)

100_3932.jpg

another acro

100_3930.jpg

neon blue hydno

100_3915.jpg

green torch

todds.jpg

thanks.

i was totally unhappy with my tank, and decided time for a change. (im OCD about things, and yeah)

so here is the tank in its current position. I will be adding a bit more LR in the bare area on the right side of the tank, and possibly fill it with zoas or something.

100_3961.jpg

Great Tank! I'm loving it. How do you take your pictures that the tank has the lights on but all the surroundings are black, the background and all so clean like the new FTS?. Do you crop and edit a lot on photoshop? Great tank

MrHermitCrab
i got a PM regarding the lighting

100_2787.jpg

i have since added another LED strip to the front side of the light.

-dan

How did you mount that powerbright led to you light?

• 2 months later...

Its been a very long time.

huge update:

I totally redid the tank. aquascape is new as is the coral selection.

Progression

FTS.jpg

a while after

rimlesstank.jpg

obtained a brain which i realized would soon be too big

100_4891.jpg

obtained a BRANCHING orange hammer of malaysia

FTS-1.jpg

LAST FTS on page 12

Some close up coral shots:

wellsi blasto shot before i mounted it:

100_5041.jpg

ultra green "todds" torch coral of upstate reef society

100_4868.jpg

light bracket

100_4982.jpg

MY newest coral and favorite coral.

This coral was grown from a spec on live rock at my LFS. It soon grew into a torch coral at the shop. around 3 years ago, i walked into the shop, and saw this coral in their display tank. I JUST HAD TO HAVE It. I offered the owner a lot of money for a head. At the time, the torch was only 3 heads, and he refused to frag it. Over the course of the next 3 years, i kept asking and asking for a frag. the answer was always NO. in spring time, i obtained 2 orange torch corals. the owner wanted an orange torch coral, and told me we might be able to work something out. well that was epic fail. came home that day empty handed without the torch i wanted.

well just the other day, it FINALLY happened. i feel that my summer coral list has been fulfilled.

100_5012.jpg

this torch is quite unique, and ive never seen one like it. it has HUGE yellow tips, compared to any other torch coral. under high light, the tentacle turns green right below the tip. (im hoping over time the torch will obtain these green hints again). the rest of the tentacle is purple.

Final FTS. Tank as of early this morning. unfortunately, i didnt get a shot of the torches in full glory. They both extend quite far.

100_5104.jpg

i hope you enjoy this update

thanks,

dan

Looks good! I like the 'scape with the small amount of rock. It works well.

Thanks! I'm not a fan of the cluttered and overstocked look of a rimless tank. IMO less is always more

Archived