ReefCleaners.org

Snowflake Clownfish laying eggs

christosclowns

well nothing yet im still waiting she should have layed bu now i wonder if the big move into the new system through off her spawning by a week or two i guess ill have to see

you could try the hcg injection again

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
christosclowns

I think im just gonna let her do her thing. The spawning was def thrown off from the move but i think it wont be long before she lays again. The point of this was to give all my fish a better enviornment for water quality and space we shall see

Wow what a setup! So what do you use for filtration on a system like that? Can we get some pics? Is it weird that reefers rather see the equipment rooms over the fish sometimes?

i am curious in the hcg injection, what doasage ratio did you use? I know that with striped bass it is a very fine line between nothing/spawn/death. Did you traquelize the female first, if so how? Also what method did you use in finding out how far the eggs had migrated?

christosclowns

As far as pix go I iwll update them tonight. The injection process was done by a good friend of mine that is an itchyiologist. I would be lying to you if I told you the exact amount. What he did was very minimal I know that like extremely minimal because clownfish are so small. Im guessing like a quarter of an ml. He took her and put her in BREEDING NET. Then he took this pair of gogles that are magnifying glasses with a bright light on them. He held her head still and cupped her in his hand with a latex glove on. I saw him actually place the needle in her tail right on the edga where the fin starts to go into the round formation. She twitched for about 20 minutes and then settled down. After about a week or two she was hydrated. I know you can buy pituitary hormone but I would be very careful. I did this with a clownfish that I had for over 4 years she is still alive and spawning 1 year later so obviusly it did not do anything to her as far as fertility or any harm to her inner organs, as far as I know. AND SNOWFLAKES ARE FRICKIN AWESOME LOL

I used to work down there in the Tampa area as fisheries biologist, i probably know the guy (especially if he had access to turn your wifes pee, into pure HCG). What about when you used the carp petuitary, how did you check to see if she was even producing eggs? I ask this because I know that you can inject CP and/or HCG and absolutly nothing will happen if there isn't any eggs.

christosclowns

His Name is Raymond Jenkins and as far as the eggs thing goes i have heard of that as well. I wont induce again because there is no need, but i hope this snowflake occ pair lays again soon. That move def through off their cycle. But then again it was for long term purposes as well. When you breed clowns in a non lynked system it is a pain to do water changes and maintain water quality. So I built the new system so its easier for me and healthier for them. Now its jst a waiting game and I hope she spawns soon. Thre male does not stop cleaning all day it is just up to her now

His Name is Raymond Jenkins

Can't say I know him, who does he work for? Any refrences that you know of where I can look into that doasage ratio for HCG or CP

christosclowns

Im not exactly sure where you can find the correct dosage but I will call him and try to get info out of him for you. Anyway its been now 12 days since the move and still no eggs so Hopefully shes only a week or two off cuz I really need her to lay again lol the more practice and more eggs the better off the male is learning how to fertelize and tend them. I am posting pix again of the system for those who were interested in a bit more detail

The tank approz 350 gallons with the sump

53395393.jpg

Sump

53435395.jpg

3 Quarter horse chiller

53405394.jpg

57 watt UV

52945384.jpg

christosclowns

My start of a refugium

52995388.jpg

The controller for the Chiller and the chiller has a 27 watt uv built in so thats 84 watts total

52985387.jpg

My incubation station

53485396.jpg

Nice Setup and Pic's. What else is there for filtration aside from the BIO Balls?

The Onyx Clowns you sent me are doing great. I'll put up more pics in the other thread tomorrow.

christosclowns

we;; as far as filytayion theres the bio balls in the top tear and the bottom. Live rock in the 2ns and third tear. filter pads above the bio balls and the sock in front of the bioballs. I am adding a lot of kaluerpa and kelp this weekend plus another 80 lbs live rock. I am going to make a sick refugium lol

Do you remove the eggs, or let them hatch in the breeder tank? If I read correctly you have live rotis in your system? I also noticed no skimmer...is this to keep the phyto from being filtered out?

christosclowns

No I actually incubate the eggs in a different tank. That setup is strictly for breeding purposes and when the clowns are big enough i will put them in the top tear and bottom tear for growout. I dont have a skimmer on there because the way the water flows it skims itself. I put the sock in to catch the smaller particles that a skimmer would. I never do put phyti or rotifer in the setup because i use ten gallon tank until they grow up big enough to put in the bigger system. And as far as the picassos go still no spawn im still awaiting. The new move def stopped most of my breeders. Im not worried though because they will start up again its normal some may take longer than others. Like I said in a previous post its just a waiting game now. Im a lil pissed off lol but i had no choice. stay tuned lol

christosclowns

OK I GOT GREAT NEWS. TONIGHT SHE WAS CLEANING FINALLY AFTER THE MOVE LOL. SHE LOOKS TO BE A BIT HYDRATED WITH EGGS AND IM EXPECTING A CLUTCH WITHIN THE NEXT THREE DAYS I HOPE IM RIGHT

OK I GOT GREAT NEWS. TONIGHT SHE WAS CLEANING FINALLY AFTER THE MOVE LOL. SHE LOOKS TO BE A BIT HYDRATED WITH EGGS AND IM EXPECTING A CLUTCH WITHIN THE NEXT THREE DAYS I HOPE IM RIGHT

Thats Great news Erik. Looking forward to getting some of these. How about some Pictures of her.

christosclowns

Well shes cleaning hard and eating like a pig. I dont see a full abdomen yet so well see her pot is pretty gross with algae, so it might take them a couple days to clean it off but im crossing my fingers for spawn number three

Ok we have eggs adain I will post oictures and it looked like the male was doing a bit better we shall see

Congrats Erik, I hope it works out this time.

Ok we have eggs adain I will post oictures and it looked like the male was doing a bit better we shall see

YAY!!! congrats man... keep us posted... :)

Archived