Blue+

KZ Fiji

Blue+

or

Blue+

Blue+

Coral+

Blue+

I ran the second set on a tank I had, loved the way it looked. Are you thinking about going t5 again? I'm getting a 6bulb ati for my next tank :)
SouthFlorida_Tron

I ran the second set on a tank I had, loved the way it looked. Are you thinking about going t5 again? I'm getting a 6bulb ati for my next tank :)

Never had T5... Had a 10k yellow halide on my noob reef 10 years ago before i even knew what testing was lol

Had power compacts in my noob biocube before getting the AI SOL, then now have the Radion.

Now excited to see what T5s can do.

• Like 1

Never had T5... Had a 10k yellow halide on my noob reef 10 years ago before i even knew what testing was lol

Had power compacts in my noob biocube before getting the AI SOL, then now have the Radion.

Now excited to see what T5s can do.

I had a 4bulb and it was by far my favorite fixture. Just something about ati bulb combos that cannot be matched. Another plus is pictures come out perfect every time under t5's.

I would run t5's over my tank now but at only 18" I'd have alot of light spill with a 24" ati. So ill just have upgrade lol.

I heard it would fit perfect for my 25x10 display area?

Absolutely, the ati fixture is actually closer to 23" If I remember correctly, the bulbs are even shorter so I bet it would be perfect.

I'm stoked for you, and a tad jealous :)

Just looked it up. The 24" sunpower is 23.1 x 9.4 x 2.1

Well, I almost got it with the current 15 percent off but I just spent money on cigars for when my dad visits so I'll have to be patient for now.

Ah, I see. I would have done the same thing.

Orriginally was running Blue + x 3 and a purple plus. Kinda liked it but wanted a tad more white so no im running Blue + x 2 , purple+, coral +. I like this combo.

Anyone seen

Blue+

Blue+

KZ Fiji

Blue+

or

Blue+

Blue+

Coral+

Blue+

Is the coral+ a more white bulb, or blue, white, and purple

It has a purplish cast to it, white purple. It appears to be a lighter version of the purple+ when looking at it directly. The AquaBlue special, their other white bulb, has a blue cast to the bulb but makes the tank look yellow, oddly enough.

Just ordered the 36" Fishneedit 4 bulb!!!

After reading through most of this thread, im +'d out!

Ill keep the (2) 14k and (2) actinic for a while, but i think ill add coral+ and a blue+ eventually.

Do the Blue+ and Coral+ replace whites? most combos ive seen listed do not have whites?

Just ordered the 36" Fishneedit 4 bulb!!!After reading through most of this thread, im +'d out!Ill keep the (2) 14k and (2) actinic for a while, but i think ill add coral+ and a blue+ eventually. Do the Blue+ and Coral+ replace whites? most combos ive seen listed do not have whites?
In very simple terms coral+ would be white, blue+ is a mix of white and actinic.

This will probably help some people out with bulb choices. http://blog.reefgeek.com/2013/07/popular-t5-bulb-combos.html

• Like 1

Hey all. I ended up with the fishneedit 10k white (2) and the actinic(2) but I think its too white. Would you all reccomend a blue+ instead of one of my 10k whites? Would I still get growth with one 10k one blue+ and two fishneedit actinic?

My main goal is fluorescence with growth. I like a deep blue to purple look to the tank

Hey all. I ended up with the fishneedit 10k white (2) and the actinic(2) but I think its too white. Would you all reccomend a blue+ instead of one of my 10k whites? Would I still get growth with one 10k one blue+ and two fishneedit actinic?

My main goal is fluorescence with growth. I like a deep blue to purple look to the tank

3 blue+ and a KZ Fiji purple

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to buying an ATI blue plus to replace the stock fishneedit 10k and man does that bulb make a huge difference. I'm at 2 stock blue and 1 stock 10k with the new ATI blue plus.

I was almost thinking of taking back 1 of the 2 blue+ I bought but I may use it afterall.

Would you all suggest I swap one of the remaining blues or will I get enough growth/par if I replace the last 10K for the second blue+ I bought?

Thanks and hope I made some sense.

Edit: decided to keep both blue+. Tank looks great with 2 stock blue and 2 ati blue+ gotta wait till payday and ill snag the remaining blue+ and purple

It just feels so odd to not have a white light.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I'm in a 4 bulb combo and am on the edge as well if I should go 3 Blue+ and a Coral+ or 2 and 2.... at the moment I run 2 Blue+, a Coral+, and a Purple+, has a touch of red undertone which annoys me...

Hey guys anyone ever try:

Blue +

Purple +

True Actinic

Blue +?

I saw this combo in one of my LFS last week. Its super cool if you like the deep blue look. All the colours were popping, but it is a very blue look. If I had a mixed tank with lots of LPS and softies and some SPS, this combo would be very nice to show off the colours.

Looking at getting an actinic bulb and replacing a blue +. Not too worried about Par as its already crazy. Which one is best?

UVL

GMan

ATI

I have used the Gman and ATI and they look more or less the same.

The UVL's Actinic has always been the best. Pity I cant get the UVL's in the UK or else I would use them definately.

• 1 month later...

I have a Current USA Nova Extreme 4x24 fixture that had 2 stock actinic and 2 12,000k white bulbs in it. Since reefgeek.com had ati bulbs on sale for black friday I went ahead and ordered 3 blue +, 1 AquaBlue Special, 1 Purple +, and 1 Coral +. Played around with them briefly but need to do some more experimenting.

I ended up leaving it like this for now:

Back

Blue +

AB Special

Blue +

Coral +

Front

I fell like I'm missing the whiter look of the stock setup. I'm not sure what it is. It just seemed like I was able to see everything in the tank better with the stock lights. Maybe I just have to get used to it. But for instance the nice green color on my halimeda is not as present....now it's more of a brownish green. The corals pop more for sure but the coraline algae on the rock is less obvious now and I just feel like overall the tank seems kinda washed out. Does that make sense?

Has anyone else felt this way?

The other combos I tried seemed to make this feeling even worse as the tank seemed more purple / pink and the only things that popped where the corals. I'm gonna play around some more with all the lights and with positioning as well. I may put back one of the stock 12000k white bulbs and see how that looks.

• Like 1

I have a Current USA Nova Extreme 4x24 fixture that had 2 stock actinic and 2 12,000k white bulbs in it. Since reefgeek.com had ati bulbs on sale for black friday I went ahead and ordered 3 blue +, 1 AquaBlue Special, 1 Purple +, and 1 Coral +. Played around with them briefly but need to do some more experimenting.

I ended up leaving it like this for now:

Back

Blue +

AB Special

Blue +

Coral +

Front

I fell like I'm missing the whiter look of the stock setup. I'm not sure what it is. It just seemed like I was able to see everything in the tank better with the stock lights. Maybe I just have to get used to it. But for instance the nice green color on my halimeda is not as present....now it's more of a brownish green. The corals pop more for sure but the coraline algae on the rock is less obvious now and I just feel like overall the tank seems kinda washed out. Does that make sense?

Has anyone else felt this way?

The other combos I tried seemed to make this feeling even worse as the tank seemed more purple / pink and the only things that popped where the corals. I'm gonna play around some more with all the lights and with positioning as well. I may put back one of the stock 12000k white bulbs and see how that looks.

Coral plus, blue plus, KZ Fiji purple, blue plus. Did you try that with the purple plus replacing the KZ? They're similar but not identical.

Also, the bulbs need about 100 hrs to burn in, the color changes slightly.