Innovative Marine Aquariums

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

I like the look of, and use the 2 Blue+, 1 Purple+ and Aquablue Special. I tried 3 Blue+ and 1 AB Special, but it was too blue. WIth the 4 24" T5 lights, my tank has never looked so good. Colors are coming back into corals that I have not seen in a long time after having the LED's.

Can you post a picture of your tank?

I want to see what the color combo looks like

Is the ATI Coral Plus bulbs pretty much the same as the ATI procolor they used to sell? The description I've been reading seems like they are the same bulb but marketed with a new name.

From what i remember the ATI procolor was replaced by the Purple plus.

I bought a used 4x39 tek fixture and had 2 questions.

1) When I turn the switch on, one lights up the 1st and the 4th (last one) and hte other turns on the middle ones. Usually isn't it 1 and 3 light up than 2 and 4 light up?

2) I need to order some bulbs and I'd like to get some feedback on your colorations before I do so.

I have a very very old set of 3 blue plus' and 1 blue actinic on my unit right now and surprised how it isn't blue as much as it is white on the tank.

Was wondering what set with pictures if possible you guys prefer.

I had always been fond of this guys tank, not sure whose it is but love the coloration on it.

Anyone know what he might be runnign?

fts-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of tanks that aim to create the perfect blue coloration but is there any T5 capable of adding a greenish tinge to it like the water in Bermuda for example? Like any combo that will create more of a dark turquoise coloration as opposed to the blue hues or whiter hues that people have achieved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Did anything ever happen w/the 12" T5HO setups nanocustoms was working on w/UVL bulbs? Does anyone sell those 12" bulbs or retros or ballasts for them?

• 2 weeks later...

First of all great thread!!!!! I am setting up my 40g breeder again and was looking at a T5 TEK retro 4X39w. I am curious if this would be enough for SPS up high in the tank. It will be mostly LPS with some SPS up high if possible. The bulb combo I was thinking of is this: Blue+, Midday Sun, AB Special, Blue+? I like a blue look more along the lines of 14000K or so but want the colors to pop. I am wishing I had never got out but had to when my daughter was born. Thanks for all the hel in advance.

Doug

First of all great thread!!!!! I am setting up my 40g breeder again and was looking at a T5 TEK retro 4X39w. I am curious if this would be enough for SPS up high in the tank. It will be mostly LPS with some SPS up high if possible. The bulb combo I was thinking of is this: Blue+, Midday Sun, AB Special, Blue+? I like a blue look more along the lines of 14000K or so but want the colors to pop. I am wishing I had never got out but had to when my daughter was born. Thanks for all the hel in advance.

Doug

SPS should do fine under that.

The bulb combo you mentioned will have kind of more of a midday/12k kind of look, I think.

A really good bulb combo that would look like what you said you wanted is 2 Blue+, 1 Aquablue Special, 1 KZ Fiji Purple.

SPS should do fine under that.

The bulb combo you mentioned will have kind of more of a midday/12k kind of look, I think.

A really good bulb combo that would look like what you said you wanted is 2 Blue+, 1 Aquablue Special, 1 KZ Fiji Purple.

Thanks for the reply. I wont be putting in any SPS until I get things just right but want to make sure.

Hey, I have been having a small aglae issue only on my glass. I seem to have to scrape the glass every day (but who has time for that, so i scrape it every other day). My params are good so i was thinking it is a lighting issue. Right now i am using 2 atinics, 1 purple, and one 10k all from aquaticlife (they came with the fixture 3 months ago). Could the bulbs be causing the problem? how often do u replace your bulbs?

The bulbs don't sound like a problem since they are new, but they could be highlighting some longer term water quality issue. Algae needs both nutrients and light to grow, and if the tank is getting a film within one day, it looks like a nutrient issue. Replacing bulbs faster is helpful in avoiding color shifts, but many people have waited ~12 months or more to replace them. Anything less than 6-8 months would be a waste.

Hey lakshwa, do you know if anything ever came of the 12-18" T5HO retros or bulbs? Cause if there were any way I could get ahold of something like that for a Pico, I'd be thrilled, but I have no idea where to look.

The bulbs don't sound like a problem since they are new, but they could be highlighting some longer term water quality issue. Algae needs both nutrients and light to grow, and if the tank is getting a film within one day, it looks like a nutrient issue. Replacing bulbs faster is helpful in avoiding color shifts, but many people have waited ~12 months or more to replace them. Anything less than 6-8 months would be a waste.

I just don't understand how it is a nutrient issue. I have zero nitrates, and make my own salt water

Sorry, I don't know anything about the 18" T5s. You might talk to evilc66, assuming he's still working for nanocustoms.

@kush: "zero" measured nitrates only means all the nitrates that are being produced (through normal processes) are being converted faster than you can detected. When algae grow, they are quickly taking up any excess nutrients. It could be a feeding issue.

• 1 month later...

I just bought one of the new PowerChrome Lagoon Blue lamps from Giesemann. Its really just a blend of an Actinic+ and AquaBlue+. I'd say somewhere around 12-14k temp. I'd be curious to hear the par ratings on it. I can post pics if anyone is really interested in seeing it.

Here is a link to the bulb:

http://www.marinedepot.com/D_D_Giesemann_P...TBUT5HO-vi.html

Edited by pineo
  • 2 weeks later...
Sea_Of_Treachery

cool thread interesting lighting combos here. I just placed an order of UVL bulbs (454 and 75.25) for my 48w fixture for my 15g long. will post once i get the tank running. hope i get a nice color out of this. hopefully wont be too much blue.

Im looking to order new bulbs soon for my aquaticlife 4bulb fixture and it looks like the popular thing to do is 2 blue+, aquablue special and a purple +. What do you guys run for the dusk/dawn effect? 2 blues? or a purple and blue? also, what position from front to back would be good?

Sea_Of_Treachery

3 ati blue plus

1 ati purple plus thats what i'm thinkin any suggestion or pics of this combo????

thats going to be fairly blue, for growth i believe its suggested to do at least 1 daylight spectrum or 50/50 type bulb.

• 3 weeks later...

Would a 2 bulb 48 watt fixture work for my 20 gallon? I am planning on getting some lps like hammer and torch, definitely no sps because that needs too much. Or should I just continue to save for a 4 bulb fixture?