Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

T5HO Information

Weetabix7

I have a 24" 4 bulb DIY, need a recomendation on the bulbs. I already have 1 ATI Blue plus and 1 ATI true Actinic. I have two spots left to fill, what would you recomend to end up with a 14k ish? I tend to perfer the older purple look to the newer hyper blue look.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I would order a handle full of bulbs instead of just 2 other bulbs so you could at least tinker with a combo or two if you aren't satisfied...

Do you INSIST on using the actinic? I think that in 4 bulb applications it drops PAR much more than say with 2 Blue+ 2 Coral+

Having said that, try B+, TA, C+, B+, but get another C+ or B+, so if you wanted to, try a combo without the TA bulb.

Thats exactly the combo I was thinking about, but I will take your advice and pick up a couple other bulbs to play with. Personally, I've never really had a need for monster PAR, my coral preferences usually tend to be lower light. I love shrooms and old school euphillia. New tank thread coming soon! :naughtydance:

Hey guys I've been thinking about adding on some t5s to my reefbreedrr photon 24. What bulbs do you guys recommend with a full spectrum led fixture such as the photon? Also can anyone show me where I can get single 36" t5 fixture/diy fixtures.

Ok, so only 50% T5HO question. I had a thought regarding that above question. What do you think of 1 Blue+, 1 True Actinic, and 12 3W 6500K Bridgelux Led's? (I already have all of it on hand) Would the color be better if I used 4500K Led's? I also have 10K Led's or can mix them all together.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 4 bulb sunpower on its way to go over my next build. I ordered 3 blue+, 1 aquablue, 1 purple+, and 1 coral+ so that I can play with combos.

I don't want to tank to be too blue so for starters I'm thinking:

-f-

blue+

coral+

aquablue

blue+

If that comes out too white I will try

-f-

blue+

purple+

aquablue+

blue+

or perhaps swap the aqua blue for the coral+ but I also have an extra blue+ if I want to crank up the blue. Time will tell.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I'd suggest

Blue+

Coral+

Blue+

Coral+

Icy white.

Tried 3 Blue and 1 coral and or purple, but was an icy blue 18k/20k respectively...

• Like 1

Yuck. 1st time with t5s?

Haha no, just been a while.

I'd suggest

Blue+

Coral+

Blue+

Coral+

Icy white.

Tried 3 Blue and 1 coral and or purple, but was an icy blue 18k/20k respectively...

I thought about the 2 blue 2 coral but didn't end up ordering a second coral, dammit.

I'm sure it's been posted and I missed it but can someone post a pic of a tank running 3 ATI blue plus and 1 ATI purple plus?

I'm getting ready to order that bulb combo for my tank and want to make sure it's going to give me the look I'm after

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to add some t5's to supplement my 2 150 hqi Phoenix 14k. I'm looking to get the api true actinics, just wondering if anyone has seen this combo. The halides give a nice crisp white with a tint of blue but I'm missing the "pop" factor when it comes fluorescence. Should I try two actinics or try a combo of two diff bulbs. I've never run t5's so I'm a little under informed.

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking the following on an ADA 60P as I already have a couple of the bulbs. The fixture is a 4x24W hydrofarm.

wave point superblue 460

wave point coral wave (already have it)

wave point ultra cola (already have it)

wave point superblue 460

Thinking i want a deep blue/purple look. Its time to upgrade my bulbs again and was wondering if anyone had a pic of the set-up with:

Actinic

Blue+

Actinic

Purple+

I also found these two videos from Advanced Reef Aquarium on youtube very usefull:

Is there any way to tell the life left on a bulb? Ive read they'll start to help feed the bad algae, but not how else to tell, only that fixtures with fans can extend the life of a bulb. Im fanless with my 4bulb Fishneedit and at 11 months so i figure its time to change

• Thanks 1

This is tough I know. Trying to get a roughly 16-18k look with my garbage 18" fixture.

I have two coralife actinic(sort of a purple color), 2 UVL actinic white, and 3 UVL super actinic.

I had a couple combos in mind

UVL Super actinic

UVL Actinic white

UVL Super actinic

UVL Actinic white

UVL Actinic white

UVL Super actinic

Coralife actinic purple

UVL Super actinic

Thoughts? Thanks.

Is there any way to tell the life left on a bulb? Ive read they'll start to help feed the bad algae, but not how else to tell, only that fixtures with fans can extend the life of a bulb. Im fanless with my 4bulb Fishneedit and at 11 months so i figure its time to change

Par meter. 11 months is way too long on that fixture, you're in the 6-8 month range.

• Like 1

This is tough I know. Trying to get a roughly 16-18k look with my garbage 18" fixture.

I have two coralife actinic(sort of a purple color), 2 UVL actinic white, and 3 UVL super actinic.

I had a couple combos in mind

UVL Super actinic

UVL Actinic white

UVL Super actinic

UVL Actinic white

UVL Actinic white

UVL Super actinic

Coralife actinic purple

UVL Super actinic

Thoughts? Thanks.

Any ideas? I'd like to get good par still as i have a couple of birdsnest. I could also order one or two actinic white bulbs. I wish 454s were available but they're out of stock. Curse me for being dumb and buying an 18" fixture.

• 2 months later...
masterbuilder

Seems like all the T5 PAR measurements I have come across are done with large multi lamp fixtures. Many of us here (including me) have smaller tanks and just cant fit 6 or 8 lamps over our tanks. So... I decided to purchase an Apogee Quantum SQ-120 Sensor to measure the output of my ATI 4x24 Dimmable. I took 4 depth measurements at 3 different locations across the light. The center measurement is self explanatory, the left and right are right at the end of the reflectors. The depth measurements are in inches from the splash shield. The fixture is hanging 5" from the surface of the water. All pumps were off during the test. The 24W lamps are 2 ATI Blue+ and 2 ATI Coral+. I took each reading numerous times and the numbers below are the average of each.

ATI_PAR1.jpg

Note: Lamps are 3 months old and have been running with a 1 hour ramp up and a 1 hour ramp down.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys I've been thinking about adding on some t5s to my reefbreedrr photon 24. What bulbs do you guys recommend with a full spectrum led fixture such as the photon? Also can anyone show me where I can get single 36" t5 fixture/diy fixtures.

Two bulbs?

Bluer? Two Blue+

Natural? Blue+ Coral+

I'm about to do this, the bulbs will be on either side of the RB fixture, so they'll be spaced roughly 8-9" apart.

I'm thinking 2x coral+, will that be too white? - keep in mind I'd only have them running during peak and likely have white leds turned way down

will two different colors blend well that far apart (ie, blue+ and coral+)?

• 4 weeks later...