Top Shelf Aquatics

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

Yup, each frag was suspended from a little styro with a plug sized hole. they were secured to the styro with 2 little rubberbands. Then each was in a 3/4 full cup with the lids screwed tight. The jars were carefully sealed with duct tape, put on so it would actually come off!!!! They were arranged in two levels of 4 cups, stabilized with bubblewrap. The whole lot was double bagged. The box had 1" styro lining and the lid wore DOUBLE 40 hr heatpacks.

This packaging was amazing.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rainbow Warp paly finally opened all the way. Thing's sick IMHO....it is a solid 5 colors...sorry about the focus thingy....I'm having a heck of a time getting a clear shot of this one....

IMG_2927.jpg

Enjoy.....

Yup, they're sweet. You can't really make out the tips of the skirts. They go from alternating purple and red to a final orange then green!!!! With the baby blue mouths that is just a bunch of colors!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little growth progression of my baby Oregon Tort frag.....

1/3/10, just a tiny little frag...

IMG_2260-1.jpg

and by 4/9/10 some decent growth.....

IMG_2932.jpg

and here is 4/21/10, just 12 days later....

IMG_3016.jpg

This is supposed to be a painfully slow growing coral, I would love to see it just take off....I also wish I could capture the intensity of the blue color.....

I also want to share a few other shots from yesterday and today.....

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

IMG_3017.jpg

IMG_3022.jpg

Yup....that's the JC Ancieant Earth Chalice. Real pretty coral, blue with neon green, yellow and orange nodules and the thick green growth rim.....it's my only watermelon....sorry bout the crappy picture....

Beautiful shots, of beautiful and healthy corals.

Keep doing whatever you're doing, cause you're obviously doing something right!

Needreefunds
Beautiful shots, of beautiful and healthy corals.

Keep doing whatever you're doing, cause you're obviously doing something right!

A very big +1 here.

Mitch, please... teach us :P

You once said, you can just flat grow some SPS.

And I say, you dang skippy!! :lol:

Great stuff. Keep on keepin' on Mitch. B)

Dead on ID there MJ...Tricolor A. valida, and a really tough one to keep colored up...This is the same one I posted back on like page 14 of this thread.

This is the coral that got smashed under a rock!!!!

CIMG1369.jpg

That shot was 2 weeks later, on 8/7/08....

and while I was searching for that picture link I also saw where you used that same exact statement Richie!

And Weetie, having your words of appreciation is a real testament. I really do thank all of you for the good words. I think I finally found a hobby I'm really pretty good at....

and BTW....that colony is like 4 inches tall and nearly 3 inches wide at the widest point, that includes over a vertical inch of encrustation entirely becoming more limbs. It's a great coral.

Now...can anybody say "SPS Dominated???!!!??!!!!

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

Needreefunds

Guess I need some new material... :P

Look at those pics! That mass sell off seems like a LOOOONG time ago now huh?

Beautiful!

hey mitch, do you have to pay any membership fee for orca? I have a screenname and password on the orca forum but I feel like i'm missing something since I would like to start coming to the meetings and such.

There is a Membership Fee, but you can come to meetings as a guest. Tonight we are having a Quarterly Frag Event and if you bid as a Guest there is a one time $5 fee for whatever you bought at this meeting. Last quarter a 2 eye BGM, direct lineage to WWC, went for $55. These things are great.

I was an idoit I signed up online but didn't untill now just see there is a seperate applicaiton for the club and a fee. Can I print it out and bring an extra $20 with me for membership?

I would have replied sayint yes, that's the best way to do it, but that was last night. I hope you made it, but I didn't meet you, so dunno.

It was a good time, but I wasn't bidding (no available funds)....

Ohmigosh Mitch, I love the pics of the 2 islands in your tank, so beautiful!

I'd be a much bigger SPS fan if I had your knack with it!!

I know, you'll probably say it's not hard, but for right now I think I'll stick with the Softies and LPS that I do well with and enjoy the SPS on your tank threads. :)

That is actually a pair of pics, both of Stoney Island, taken from the two sides of the peninsula. I didn't shoot a pic of Softey Island in this batch. The tank is going to look a bit different soon. I'm moving most of the frags into the Frag Tank and cleaning up the scape. I'm not going to rush the process, so the "final" appearance may be a while off. Suffice it to say, I now have only 5 things on the magnetic frag rack!

A few more things to move, then the eyesore rack can come out!!!

Okay, so since Weetie brought it up, I got a "Walk Around" photo sequence of my tank. I am starting toward the Overflow wall, facing the tank from the side we face when in our constant seating positions..and walking on around....Stoney Island, Softey Island, end view, end view focused on Stoney Island, then Softey Island and finally Stoney Island again....

IMG_3062.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3065.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

IMG_3038.jpg

Just for reference, Stoney Island is just about 21 inches wide and the growth reaches about 11 inches high.....I guess I would consider this a nicely maturing tank.....

to paraphrase the Farmer Hoggett.....that'll do tank......

Hey Buddy! Tank looks stunning! I'm back from my long M.I.A episode! My tank is doing great i kept it up and running! I will have to show you some pictures of some of the corals i got from you way back when the tricolor is getting HUGE! I lost my superman tho to a case of monit nudi's which i got rid of after MUCH work! i need a frag of that again ASAP! hahaha I can't believe your tank, looks so grown in and amazing! You'll have to check out my tank when i get some pictures up! give me a day or so. I have a 180 in the works hahaha.

Thanks a lot BTA...all I gotta do now is get the "Baby Tank Syndrome" Bryopsis bloom under control in the Frag Tank!!!! I'm trying to starve it to death, but I may have to cut the lights way back for a few days, or maybe even give them a 3 day night? If I keep the fuge light cooking continuous it seems that would prolly give the chaeto the upper hand to get stuff cleaned up.

Archived