Top Shelf Aquatics

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

It's on my SPS intensive Frag Rack. There is a T5HO Geisemann Actinic Plus about 7 inches above it, then about 2 1/2 inches off the water, Then about 10 inches above the water is the Phoenix 250W light. For flow it's about 3 feet out directly in the path of a K4....it seems to be doing well there.....My friend's piece was showing skeleton and now it is looking good again.....

IMG_1852.jpg

October 3

This is what it looked like ....a bit pale, but getting there....

IMG_2137.jpg

December 4....took it a couple months, but I feel good about it.....

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just moved the new zoanthids into the tank, but they hadn't opened when the MH's went off.....they are starting to open under the T5's.....Here they are all PI$$ED off.....

IMG_2181.jpg

I had to shoot these next two after I dust a bit of Coral Vibrance in the tank....Like ringing the Dinner Bell!!!!!

IMG_2170.jpg

Closeup....Just a couple minutes later....

IMG_2171.jpg

Those are actually Green Implosions which typically has a VERY short skirt, the convex topped ones. They are in Monster flow....they nearly went away and there were like 8 of them, then I added 2 chromis and now they are thriving.....fuge still keeps up with the wastes okay....it's healthier now.....

These are the new zoanthids that I added to the tank just last night....

IMG_2184.jpg

Here are a few other of the zoas and palys I have in my tank....

IMG_2187.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

This is half of my JC Ancient Earth chalice...it has now been determined to have come from the same source that Tyree got his original "Area 51" chalice from, so I guess it's an Area 51 chalice...I cut it in half during my sale, then the person I cut it for didn't come through on the buy....It's healing well....

IMG_2186.jpg

A few sticks....

IMG_2195.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2199.jpg

My Acro Crab....he's much bigger and bolder than he was...

IMG_2198.jpg

Another Before and After....this was on October 24....

IMG_1925.jpg

December 17....

IMG_2194.jpg

Thanks a lot....I seem to be having another growth spurt in many of my SPS....I think they did well for the pruning....here are a few random shots I took this evening....check out the PE on some of these Pismo....

ORA Chips acropora

IMG_2210.jpg

Purple polyp pink Stylophora....

IMG_2211.jpg

ORA Blue Acropora tortuosa

IMG_2212.jpg

A nice green Montipora digitata

IMG_2213.jpg

ORA Rose Acropora millepora

IMG_2214.jpg

Fiji unknown Acropora (I turned it around and supported it better)

IMG_2215.jpg

JC's Quadricolor Acropora in front of the bottom of the ORA Chips

IMG_2224.jpg

Potato Chip Pavona

IMG_2220.jpg

I also wanted to show how a couple of my LPS's were doing....

Area 51 Favia (what's left after the Frag-O-Rama)

IMG_2221.jpg

AA Meteor Shower Cyphastrea (finally coloring up and looking healthy again)

IMG_2217.jpg

My family and I would like to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and the Happiest of Holidays....

God has blessed all of us with a love for the reefs and the means to bring them into our homes....we should all be joyous for this and all the pleasures that are bestowed upon us.....

Mitch

And now it's time to welcome in 2010...I hope everyone had a great night last night, and not too many hangovers today.....

My Bride and I actually went to a New Years party for the first time in our 4+ years together...we really ought to get out more....

On another note, my slave-driver boss was let go two weeks ago, and things have become much calmer and we actually go home at a reasonable hour every day...it is souch a joyous change....I will actually be able to bond with my family again....

Thanks to all my freinds here, you have all helped me stay sane through these challenging times....

Mitch

I got a little bit of money for Christmas and decided that a new frag was in order....soooo....I made a little trip across town to visit WorldWide Corals....They have so much nice stuff that it was a very tough decision, but I finally settled on a frag of Oregon Blue Tort....this is the bluest coral I've ever seen....here it is right after going into the tank....

IMG_2254.jpg

After 1/2 hour in the water it was showing some PE....

IMG_2260.jpg

and at an hour and a half.....

IMG_2263.jpg

looks Happy to me....

I wanted to post the Cali Blue Tort, just for comparison....

IMG_2264.jpg

I used to consider this one REALLY blue....now I know better....

Just for fun I did a couple shots comparing my Blue-Green Acropora echinata to the Hawkins Blue Echinata....here is the Blue-Green....

IMG_2267.jpg

and the Hawkins.....

IMG_2265.jpg

The other night I was getting ready to feed the tank and noticed one of my Green Implosion Palys all freaked out....had to grab a couple of pictures....these were after I started feeding.....

IMG_2249.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

I've seen LPS's do that when fed, but never a paly....odd....very odd.....

Thanks a bunch Weetie....I actually went in for a platygyra that I saw on their website, but quickly changed my mind when I saw this one....their colony is amazing...I just hope I have that kind of luck with it....

Thanks a lot LandO...I have managed to pull together a few nice pieces...the reef is starting to really come together...I'm at the stage of having to get rid of things to make space for better stuff now...what a terrible predicament...huh????

Yup Jon, I still gotta do a bit of a grow out....you already have almost everything....they say the Oregon Tort is really slow growing, we gotta see just how slow it is for me....I have a couple of things you might be interested in though....PM me when you are interested in checking them out....

I am always amazed when I see the growth that some of these corals do....I snapped a picture of the Blue Green Acropora echinata a couple nights ago and was looking at some recent pictures and my jaw just plain dropped....

1/8/10:

IMG_2269.jpg

12/17/09:

IMG_2196.jpg

That's 22 days! I hope a few of the others will turn on like that....but I guess they really have....it still blows me away....

I like to say the corals do all the work, I just try to give them an acceptable place to do the work....

Consistency is the key.....my lighting is all going on a year to a year and a half old, I have algae problems and I virtually never do water changes, but the parameters are locked in.....

I wanted to do a quick one week update on the new Oregon Tort....

1/3/10

IMG_2260.jpg

1/11/10

IMG_2274.jpg

Please excuse the exposure difference, but notice the reduction in green coloration and the excellent PE....when I got it Victor at WWC said it takes on the green color in too high of lighting, so I put it over on Softie Island....it appears to like it there!

Archived