ReefCleaners.org

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reef is still looking awesome Mitch.

But no frag rack??? :o

Actually it's still there, but it's held by "The Magic of Magnetics!!!" and I slid it out of the line of sight for these pics....It is nearly empty now though :(

Thanks so much to everybody else....It really looks different after the last week and a half....

I wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving. This has been one of the most challenging years of my entire 52, but I am still oh so thankful for all that I have. I give thanks for my beautiful bride, my daughter and step-daughter, the reef that brings me calming joy when I'm down, for my silly cats and for all of the friends that help to fill my world. I never would have imagined myself part of an internet family, but I feel that way about NR. This community is the best.

Thanks to all,

Mitch

* wipes a teary eye *

:grouphug:

Looking at your reef is enjoyable for many of us too! :lol:

A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well Mitch!

Enjoy the day!

I cannot believe that we are actually awake already, getting ready to go out into this morning of idiocracy.....we are going to join the mass and throng trying to get the elusive "good deal" on Black Friday....and we don't really even have any money to spend!!!! Great people watching though....

I think they say God loves children and fools, and I ain't feeling any younger......

Your comment above reminded me of the first 2 lines of one of my favorite songs:

"I hear You have a soft spot for fools and little children

and I'm glad cause I've been both of those..."

(from Farther On by Russ Taff)

Hope you have fun (relatively speaking) and don't get trampled today. :)

We survived, and actually had a pretty good time of it. When all of the shopping is highly limited by funds being short it makes things much easier, and with a well planned out list and two people working the list it was a breeze. We did Kohl's, Walmart and Target and were done before 7:30. I went to WorldWide Corals for their 40% off sale and with a little nudge, nudge, wink, wink with Victor got an amazing deal on a frag of Season's Greetings encrusting Montipora. Pictures will follow.....I met some people there who decided to follow me home and they took a big bag of frags home as well!

A quick trip to pick up a pre-purchased item and I was home in time for a nice 2 1/2 hour nap! Our Holiday shopping is complete (except for a small item I need to get for my Bride) and the season is still young enough to kick back and enjoy!

Quick picture update....

Here is my new frag, Seasons Greetings encrusting Montipora....

IMG_2110.jpg

And a couple of update pics....this first one is a poor focus shot, but the AA Meteor Shower is coloring back up....

IMG_2118.jpg

Here is what's left of my Area 51 favia....

IMG_2117.jpg

My fairly new California Blue Tort....

IMG_2114.jpg

Here is what has grown out from where my Rainbow Montipora was originally mounted....this is the growth from what grew down under the bottom of the original tile....

IMG_2120.jpg

And I had to snap one of goofy Lennie the Blennie relaxing under the recently fragged Duncans....

IMG_2119.jpg

that guy has all the personality of any fish there is....

Thanks for looking,

Mitch

Yup, I'm really starting to love the encrusting ones too....that Rainbow is absolutely beautiful....I only kept a tiny frag of it for myself, except for that piece that is growing on one of the supporting rocks of the whole island. It will have to just grow out and stay there, cause there is no way to ever frag it.

I love the Season's Greetings and have wanted it for a while now.....

Well Nate, it was a bit of a necessity....My family has gotten about to the end of our financial means....BUT!!!! MY wife starts a full-time job that should last at least 4 to 5 months, maybe more....this is her first regular (non temporary) job in 15 months!!!!

I cut a bunch of frags, but I still have quite a presentable reef, If I may say so myself....

As for a frag of the desalwii....maybe we can work out something sometime.....the problem is getting home in time to pack up a shipping box, then the FedEx alone from Florida could turn out to be a killer!!!!

I just moved it up a bit during this week, so I haven't grabbed a shot of it in its higher light yet....working my way up to bright lighting.....It is looking MAJOR healthy but is still toward green in color...I need to get it to a stable high light location and then let it color up...it may take a few weeks once I settle on location....I believe it has grown a noticable amount though.....

I got some new zoanthids and just had to show them off....they were sold as "Wagon Wheels" and they are close to the original Pink Wagon Wheels, they are close enough that I would call them a Morph of Pink Wagon Wheels.....they are still in the QT, and were just 3 days here when I got this pic....

IMG_2139.jpg

They are completely open and looking sassy now....

Just had to snap a few again this evening....

IMG_2142.jpg

That's my little frag of UnderWaterWorld's Rainbow Sunburst Monti....I got that fraglet for resuscitating a friend's piece of it!

IMG_2143.jpg

ORA Borealis

IMG_2144.jpg

ORA Blue tort

IMG_2148.jpg

I had to get this closeup of a pale spot of my Neon Green Montipora digitata, because I don't think I've EVER seen a Monti with such PE....look at the lower left part of the extending nodule!

IMG_2154.jpg

Purple Slimer

IMG_2160.jpg

Pinwheels

IMG_2167.jpg

Martian

IMG_2164.jpg

BibleSue's Teal Palys....these things are reproducing like rabbits!!!

IMG_2166.jpg

If you look carefully at the stalk that is clearly visible you can see the true determining factor af Palythoa....The stalks take up sand that can actually be seen and if the sand isn't there it isn't a paly....

Just a little Taxonomy lesson.... :D

Mitch

If you look carefully at the stalk that is clearly visible you can see the true determining factor af Palythoa....The stalks take up sand that can actually be seen and if the sand isn't there it isn't a paly....

Just a little Taxonomy lesson.... :D

Mitch

Wow, I didn't know that! You're saying the sand sticks to the stalk? Or that the stalk ingests the sand particles?

My understanding is that "Uptake of Sand" is the defining feature of Palythoa.....and, like I said, if you magnify deeply you can see the sand, either at the surface or deeper in the stalk tissue, but that's the real difference.....

What type of placement do you have the Suburst Monti. Its funny, because i also purchased a frag...and Im in orlando....and mine barely made it, but its doing ok now. I have it on the bottom of my tank.

Archived