Pod Your Reef

My 75 Gallon peninsula tank

MitchReef

I guess this wouldn't be considered a nano. My display is a 75 gallon AGA, salvaged from trash. I had to reseal it, and rubbing compound it before I could even start drilling and going nuts. I guess I could post some pics, but I'm at work just now. I will do that when I get home tonight I guess, but......

The real reason I started this thread was to show off some new corals I scored in a swap last night. I traded a nice frag from my tank, (and threw in a little bonus), with SeeDemTails. I will get pics of these new frags when I get home, as well. Suffice it to say I think we were both happy with the little road trip. It's great, we met at a freeway exit gas station, and it was one of those rare, bugless, cool Florida evenings. Great people, and beautiful corals,

Tune in later for pics.

Mitch

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just popped a couple of pictures of some nice frags I addae to my tank last evening.

The first piece is a really pretty, delicately branched and colored a really pretty green-apple green Montipora digitata:

CIMG1825.jpg

The green is MUCH nicer in person, but let's wait and see what it turns into after a while in different lighting and water...

The next one is a piece of really nice Tyree Idaho Grape Montipora capricornis:

CIMG1827.jpg

This piece is one day in my tank and already a nice purple.

The next shot shows several pieces.

CIMG1828.jpg

This picture is hideous, but the acro in the foreground is a SWEET baby blue "Blue Torch Acropora". Just above it is a wicked deep purple with bright blue polyps Montipora capricornis. To the left of that piece is German Blue-Polyp Montipora digitata. It's got sweet blue polyps indeed. The tiny piece just beyond the others is a little incidental chip of Rainbow encrustion Montipora.

These guys are brand new in the tank, and already looking healthy as can be. I can hardly wait for them to start growing out and fragging up! I'm not a frag farmer (I don't have anything but respect for Frag Farmers, I just don't have the resources to set up frag tanks) but I do love sharing the wealth.

Here is an example of a frag I recently cut:

CIMG1824.jpg

The polyps are fully retracted, but duh! I'm holding the thing!

I will put up some more info about my tank over a bit of time, but it would just be obnoxious to blast the last year and a half up here at once! I will spare everyone the details!

My full build thread is:

http://www.thecoralnet.com/my-75-95-gallon...d-show-t82.html

Enjoy,

Mitch

Looking good Mitch. Didnt get home early enough to snap pics but the sunset and the tort are both looking awesome.

This is what that rainbow will turn into. My whole colony is on the rocks so tube worms are the only way to get frags.

DSC012222.JPG

That's really pretty....

I guess I could put some other pics up here.

I have over 70 varieties of corals in my 75, with softies, polyps, zoas, palys, mushrooms, acros, montis, birdsnests, chalice, Blasto wellsi, Trachyphillia, milleporas, favias, duncans, pavonas, and goodness knows what all else stuffed in there.

I will just put up some random snaps. Some of these are months old, and just grown out since then.

CIMG1431.jpg

CIMG1818.jpg

CIMG1683.jpg

CIMG1608.jpg

CIMG1688.jpg

CIMG1383.jpg

CIMG1679.jpg

CIMG1582.jpg

CIMG1624.jpg

CIMG1627.jpg

CIMG1647.jpg

CIMG1048.jpg

I apologize for my crappy photography. The best I can do. I guess I'm better at growing them than at taking pictures of them. This really was a random grab of shots from my Photobook.

Enjoy,

Mitch

You got it....I'm a terrible photographer with a trash camera, but here ya go. A little bit of history first. I am the world's MOST impoverished reefer, but by patience, excellent DIY skills, ability to scratch for good stuff has proven well for me. I started with a leaking tank that had some kind of white deposit around the top 3 inches. Vinegar, even soaked for 4 days with the glass panel flooded, nothing, that includes with a razor blade. All that with Muriatic acid, then even C-L-R....nothing...I finally got out some 3M Extra-Duty rubbi ng compound and an old towel. I resealed the tank and end drilled it down low. Made my overflow wallfrom black acrylic with a built in frag shelf. Modified Herbie overflow which works silently. Return is by a QO4000HH, but just until I happen upon the right deal, and the time to have some money for a Little Giant 3MDQX-SC, I kick stuff around with a MJ900 mod, a Koralia 4 and a couple of old (I mean older than some of y'all)regular powerheads. In the fuge there is a Minijet 606 and a MJ 1200 just to keep the chaeto free of cyano and growing, and a few mangroves kicking the trates in the butt.

CIMG0100.jpg

CIMG0161.jpg

CIMG0178.jpg

CIMG0223.jpg

The stand was actually a throw away too, but I tore it apart, carved out some wood rot and put it back together the way I wanted it (Including HAVING a back)

CIMG0206.jpg

Built the hood to match:

CIMG0283.jpg

Okay, it wasn't finished then (but it still isn't!)

Here is an early shot of the basement area:

CIMG0214.jpg

A loth has changed undr there since then. I went up to a decent sized Rubbermaid for my sump after realizing I was just a couple gallons shy of holding a pump stop.

CIMG1105.jpg

I added a fan over the fuge, DIY ATO, DIY two part dosing system:

CIMG1492.jpg

CIMG1494.jpg

CIMG1496.jpg

Here's the fuge:

CIMG1101.jpg

I'm not sure how this site does with big posts, so I will follow up with a second edition of this, WITH FTS's in just a couple of minutes.....maybe I'll show you my tank move, a few months ago.... :o

Okay, so brain damage, old age, not enough sleep and probably a few mental ports clogged up with old bong resin, but I obviously forgot to finish the pictures the other day.

I guess I owe y'all some FTS's and area shots so here are a few of those:

CIMG1670.jpg

CIMG1708.jpg

CIMG1634.jpg

CIMG1688.jpg

CIMG1679.jpg

CIMG1667.jpg

CIMG1549.jpg

CIMG1724.jpg

CIMG1647.jpg

CIMG1506-1.jpg

CIMG1595.jpg

CIMG1486.jpg

CIMG1449.jpg

Gracious, these guys are ugly when they are asleep:

SleepingFoxface.jpg

CIMG1450.jpg

CIMG1201.jpg

CIMG1167.jpg

CIMG0862.jpg

Just a few more random pictures. There are between 75 and 80 varieties of coral in this 75 Gallon display.

And counting.... :D

Mitch

I will keep you at the top of the list when I cut them. I gotta do it soon I guess, just been really hesitant about it. It's about the only plocoid colony I have and the fragging will be weird, because the polyps just shove everything up from the base and the older polyps are really stacked against each other. Hard to figure where to cut them.

There will be a line when I finally decide to do it. I guess it must be coming close. Just not quite ready to try that yet. I need a few more babies before I start that idea.

Here are a couple of old pctures of my Blasto(s):

Blastomussawellsi1.jpg

That was when I first got it. Just one little polyp on a 2 inch frag disk

Then it started growing and before long:

PA290042.jpg

Blastotopview10-4-07.jpg

Then it started making babies:

CIMG0308.jpg

CIMG0145.jpg

It went a little crazy, but one thing I find interesting is that IT SEEMS like every time it makes a new "brood" of babies that it is 4 at a time. I have to watch for this pattern as time goes on.

Well, as a few people found out I decided to cut up my Tyree LE Sunset Montipora.

CIMG1678.jpg

I decided to go from a tile to a big ole' nasty rock. Here is my new colony to be:

CIMG1715.jpg

I just looked tonight and it's already starting to drool down the side of the cuts.

I made a few of these:

CIMG1824.jpg

SeeDemTails, JKUNZ and a couple of local reefers spoke up and got the frags. I still have one additional frag left, but I would be hard pressed to part with it at this point.

I also chopped up my Superman:

CIMG1679.jpg

and made myself:

CIMG1848.jpg

I ended up with one additional BIG frag and two little ones. One of the little frags is seen on this pic:

CIMG1820.jpg

Here's the big one:

CIMG1714a.jpg

It's getting a tan along with the big Sunset frag in JKUNZ' tank right now

The third Superman frag fell sacrifice to the impossible to reach under the LiveRock gods...I have too many really fine items to think about pulling it all down for a frag like that....

Anyway, now I have two pieces of Sunset held for a couple of friends, a little stock frag of each and my colony starts of each, and the rest are gone....I NEVER HAD TIME FOR THEM TO ENCRUST!!!!!

These were all fresh cuts.....I expected to sit on all of these and let em encrust and grow a little before letting them go....oh well....the best laid plans of mice and men.....

Here is a shot of a few of the frags:

CIMG1714.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, A buddy of mine came over to get a frag of the Steve Tyree LE Sunset Montipora and brought his camera with him. He also has a top down photo box. I think I'm going to build one of those this weekend.

Here are a few shots of the Stoney Corals area of my tank:

My insane Blue tort:

bluetort3.jpg

Acropora desalwii:

desalwii.jpg

Green Slimer Acropora yongii:

greenslimer2.jpg

clockwise from top left corner; blue Acropora millepora, Montipora confusa, Acropora chesterfieldensis, green Acropora millepora:

Monticonfusa3.jpg

Electric Pink and Green Acropora millepora:

Pinkmille.jpg

Count 13 corals and a Clownfish:

topdown3.jpg

Another "group shot" featuring my poor smashed tricolor Acropora valida at the bottom of the pic:

topdown4.jpg

These were all shot under 250W Phoenix, adjusted for exposure ONLY.

Hope they aren't too mundane. I really like them. Somebody recently had a "favorite coral" thread, and honestly I don't think I have a favorite.

Mitch

wow mitch, looks amazing, i can't wait for my sunset frag to magically appear at my door! i'm almost ready, justa few more weeks. I want to see how christel's stuff does once i get it, before i get the sunset.

Just a few new pictures taken over the past couple of days:

a new little piece. I think it's some sort of favia:

CIMG2008.jpg

my stupid clowns wouldn't take care of their anemone, but they just LOVE this big ole' Trachy brain....they both bunk in it at night:

CIMG1995.jpg

my smashed Tri-Color Acropora valida is really looking tri-color again, and I tink it's about to start growing upward again:

CIMG1983.jpg

I dropped a live rock right on it on August 3, smashing it to a stump. It's starting to go crazy again.

I wish I could capture the sweet purple with red that this Superman is taking on:

CIMG1990.jpg

my beautiful tabling Acropora. The guy I got it from thinks it is a desalwii, but I don't think the growth looks right. I dunno what it is, besides awesome:

CIMG1992.jpg

Just a tiny update,

Mitch

Your tank looks awesome Mitch!!

That crazy green and pink acro is beautiful!!! Frag that sucker up. :)

Keep up the good work, expect a package tuesday or wed. You know it's 150w, right???

I cannot wait for the package. Please do not mark signature required. Safe neighborhood, may not be anybody at home.....

Thanks for the kind words about the tank....things are growing well....I claim no credit, it's all just in the stability. I just try to keep things as steady as possible and the corals do all the work!!!!

I did notice that the bulb is a 150W...I have a 250W over "Stoney Island" and a 150W over "Softy Island". If you notice in my FTS there is a gradient to the lighting. I have the two rock piles with one for high light corals and the other for lower demand.....But, they are BOTH Phoenix bulbs....

Oh, By the way, I will cut the Pink/Green Acro mille this week and get a frag started encrusting....are you interested in the green one too? Here is a pic of the last hunk I busted off of it:

CIMG1595.jpg

It is really nicer than it photographs. If you want I will get a frag of it started too, there is a great mini-colony growing off the side of it.....bunch of branches....

I could also try and cut a hunk of the Acro desalwii if you are interested....I may end up needing the cooler back!!!!!

I want your Electric Pink and Green Acropora millepora....what's the small frag next to it in the top down view, it looks like it could be the same acro, but then again...

Regardless, what is it? I like it. Can I have it? :D

But seriously, quit wasting time and frag some more stuff.

That is the same acro, but that frag is gone from the tank. I will cut a nice one and get it mounted.....Let me know about the others too.....

I should be able to put together a nice acro frag pack....do you have green slimer? Mine really is green, not that pale bleached out stuff a lot of people have:

greenslimer2.jpg

I could even lop off a frag from my insane Blue tort...

bluetort3.jpg

but that one would be a little frag....gotta see what all you want me to cut.....my frag shelf just has grow out stuff, and almost nothing else....

I'd definately buy a pack with the Electric Pink and Green Acropora millepora, green slimer, and insane blue tort, but PM me, we'll talk about it. I want to wait til after thanksgiving atleast before adding, maybe even the holidays. That way the frags could atleast fully attach also.

You have some great stuff...I need to a bigger tank asap :)

I will snap some during the fragging party, and will post them and a few of the frags when finished here and the appropriate ones to your tank thread too.

Mitch

Archived