Top Shelf Aquatics

My water isn't wet

StevieT

I think Mitch is taking this thread down a very dark road....

Oh, I think this thread has been on that road since the beginning. I think it may now be blazing new trails.

Just let me say this.....................

IBTL

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I think this thread has been on that road since the beginning. I think it may now be blazing new trails.

Just let me say this.....................

IBTL

Really.....I mean did mrnugget READ this thread....I think it's more like a series of VERY DARK endless one-way streets, endin up at a ONE-WAY DEAD END alley!!!! :huh:

Really.....I mean did mrnugget READ this thread....I think it's more like a series of VERY DARK endless one-way streets, endin up at a ONE-WAY DEAD END alley!!!! :huh:

Could be my mistake.... up until now, there's been largely a... softer... touch to the advice.

I was reading yours as heading up what typically would be a one-way alley - headed the other direction.

If I misread, my apologies, and carry on.

:D

Militant Jurist
IBTL

I think we're way past the point where that would happen. Like StevieT's tank, the thread is maturing. It's all grown up now!

I think communication is key to your relationship with that tank, but sometimes it takes some whispered sweet nothings to do the trick. And if that doesn't, play some Barry White. Works every time to get the water wet.

A tank should not feel wet because of the protection you should always be wearing, unless during one of your fragging sessions the dremel slipped.

I thought protection was the tanks responsibility. Either way, I did a water change this morning after missing out on one for three weeks. Possibly my water was getting old and dried out, maybe the fish drank it all.

Militant Jurist
A tank should not feel wet because of the protection you should always be wearing, unless during one of your fragging sessions the dremel slipped.

I don't know about always. But yeah, don't you just hate it when the dremel slips during a fragging.

Militant Jurist
I know the tank hates it.....

Well, as the dremel operator, I know I don't want unintended little corals resulting from the slip.

yeah, eve ONE POLYP can result in a new mother colony... do you have room for frags in a reef save invirement? like i would let my frag hand out with a parrot fish...

This is like Steve talking to himself?

Has he finally cracked up?

Perhaps it's more like Steve keeping in touch with himself. Sometimes this type of personal conversation can improve wetness in or around the tank.

Steve, have you tried a large powerhead to increase wetness? I've got a zoomed powerhead that oscillates back and forth for wave-like motion. I think the increased randomness of the water movement in and out makes my tank wetter, faster.

There are many different types of products developed not only for agriculture but many other industries that need to get the most out of their water's wetting abilities, that will break down the surface tension and make the water "wetter".

These are called by many names, such as:

Adjuvants

Extenders

Spreaders

Spreaderstickers

Surfactants

Wetting agents

etc.

http://www.spraytec.com/24/surfactants-making-water-wetter/

Reducing surface tension...I think washing detergent does this like Tide.

It may be a good idea to contact

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Purigen.html

and ask them to come up with a reef safe water wetter.

As mentioned above, you just need to add more dish detergent to your tank...

Making Water Wetter

Water is a polar molecule: it has both positive and negative ends. When these ends are linked by an electrical charge, a chain forms and droplets occur. This is called Hydrogen Bonding and is the cause of surface tension.

Mind you, this is not the tension of the surface that the droplet is to land on, but the tension on the outer surface of the actual droplet that, in effect, holds it together and keeps it from collapsing and spreading on the surface it has landed. Surfactants overcome the effects of beading or surface tension. The surfactant molecule has one end that is soluble in oily or waxy substances, and a second that is water soluble. When a surfactant is added to water and oil, its molecules align themselves at the appropriate ends of the interface and pull the layers together, reducing the beading, or surface tension.

Surfactants within commercial dishwashing detergent's can actually "make water wetter" but are susceptible to washoff.

Militant Jurist
now all my fish and coralz are dead, thanks for the sudgestion on the soap jerk :angry:

That's really strange... I always thought that cleanliness was next to godliness!

That's really strange... I always thought that cleanliness was next to godliness!

but a clean tank will dry out a tank in no time.

In their dead state, the fish and corals will achieve a godlike state. Start praying to your new tank-saints so that they will make your water wetter.

Archived