Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My water isn't wet

StevieT

Is there some kind of Gas I can use? This whole water thing is becoming very frusturating, I am about to give up, I don't know how you all do it. Maybe photoshop, cheaters

You gotta use LOX (liquid oxygen) everybody knows that! :wacko:

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok this is a stretch but it might work.

spongebob.jpg

3390086.200803071517595731.jpg

Many times on Spongebob Squarepants I have seen fires in Bikini Bottom. We all know wet water puts out fires, right? So, Bikini Bottom must have nothing but 'dry water' surrounding it. If you can some how contact the firefighters in Bikini Bottom and ask them how they make the water on their fire trucks wet to put out the fire in the 'dry' water you might just get the answer your looking for.

it sounds like a viscosity issue, I would try using some WD-40 to help loosen up the wetness, and use duct-tape to hold the wetness firmly in place once proper wetness levels have been achieved. Staples can be used as well, but that's a bit more invasive.

dahliaheartsyou
And I have spongebob! He only comes out on special occasions when Jack in present, but it is worth a try

IMG_0834.jpg

is that really you??!?!

:lol:

more importantly, does the person taking the picture have a matching Patrick cup?

Perhaps you have to many sponges in your tank?

+100000. I had a lot of sponges that hitchhiked in on my LR and my water was waaaay too dry. A few drops of bleach got rid of them and my water has been wetter ever since. Added bonus, the bleach in the water gives it a wet slimy feel.

is that really you??!?!

:lol:

more importantly, does the person taking the picture have a matching Patrick cup?

tis me with the rarely seen glasses. No, but my brother who took the picture needed one!

How do all of you get your water so wet? From all the pics I zoom over, the water looks so moist. What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried dosing Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO, also known as Hydric Acid)? I swear by it.

DHMO is naturally occurring in most municipal water supplies across the US, but it may be improperly filtered or present in varying quantities. If you aren't testing DHMO, your tank may be out of whack.

Most people don't even realize it's often found in drinking water in disturbing concentrations. DHMO has as its basis is "the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol." (source: DHMO.org)

Listen, this is serious stuff, man. If you have DHMO levels that are too low, YOUR LIVESTOCK WILL DIE. I'M YELLING B/C IT'S IMPORTANT!

If DHMO is present in too high a quantity for your tank, the results could be, quite simply: EXPLOSIVE.

I've actually gotten some of this stuff on me in it's raw, undiluted form, and it was not an entirely pleasant experience. Please be sure you are appropriately protected.

Frankly, I'm seriously concerned about the lack of DHMO awareness I've been seeing on nano-reef.com. I consider this to be an excellent source of information related to small reef tanks, but the omission of a DHMO FAQ is seriously disturbing and I have my doubts about the moderators on here overlooking this lack of information. Perhaps there is a conspiracy?

I'm hereby volunteering to appoint myself resident n-r DHMO Information Awareness EXPERT. Yes, EXPERT. I consider myself pretty much an expert on DHMO. I've spent the last 12 years working in, on, and around the stuff. In fact, I'm one of few licensed professionals in the country who is able to operate commercially using DHMO as a primary part of my business. But more on that later.

Look, StevieT, I want you to be safe. A thimble full of this stuff could cause asphyxiation, but it is pretty necessary for the true emulation of the ocean in our nano reefs. Best of luck in increasing your tanks overall degree of wetness. You can try it without DHMO, but YMMV.

Blatant commercial op: If you or anyone wants to by some high grade DHMO, let me know. I can ship in quantity, and yes, I am a professional, not some street dealer. And mods, sorry for the spam (and the conspiracy comment... j/k)... I'm interested in perhaps sponsoring the site if you think getting quality DHMO to the masses will be of interest.

If DHMO is present in too high a quantity for your tank, the results could be, quite simply: EXPLOSIVE.

I like where you are going with this. Can you please give me the ratio to where an explision will occur, but I will still have all fingers attached so I can type on the interweb?

I like where you are going with this. Can you please give me the ratio to where an explision will occur, but I will still have all fingers attached so I can type on the interweb?

No problem. That's what I'm here for.

What I'm telling you is no secret among DHMO researchers: If you choose to experiment with potentially explosive amounts of DHMO (yes, it is legal in most of the 50 states, but check your local regulations and insurance coverage), please protect yourself. At minimum, I'd suggest waterproof gloves, eyewear (goggles from Wal Mart are sufficient, it doesn't have to be high dollar gear), perhaps a full body protective ("all-weather") suit, and heck maybe even a full mask and snorkel. You certainly don't want to inhale this stuff.

It's difficult to predict the exact levels of explosivity, as there are too many factors involved in your individual setup (tank size, relative humidity, elevation above sea level, alcohol content, and other typical concerns).

As a rule of thumb, I wouldn't exceed a 1:1 ratio of DHMO content to tank size. You can get by with much less (although be sure to calculate volume of sump/refugium/etc). Increasing DHMO content to 1.1 or even 1.5:1 levels will be stressful on your environment, definitely more than your tank can handle, but I wouldn't call it "explosive". You'd have to forcefully add levels of at least, I'd say, 2.0:1 or more to cause "explosive" effects.

As to keeping your fingers attached, I'd reckon you should stay well below 4:1.

Remember, explosive effects are really an issue when you add DHMO in excessive amounts all at once. Using a proper dosing method (drip dosing) will minimize these effects. That is not to say that you won't have side effects from too much DHMO. Just keep testing your levels not to exceed a 1:1 ratio at most.

Like everything else, don't dose what you don't test for.

Hydrazine combined with water or dry cotton will give a small explosion followed by blue flames. :D

Steve your going about this all wrong. You havent been listening to your local Petco professional. They hooked me up a few weeks ago. I trust them 100% after the great advice I got from them about my tang in my 7 gallon. What you have to do is buy petco premade saltwater, then freeze in into cubes and add that to your tank. They even sold me some additive made by KY or something or the other. But it makes the water real slick and wet lookin. Couldnt hurt. I would try it if I were you.

Phishroom: is it true tangs ingest and excrete DHMO? I read on RC that they do and while it makes sense why tangs are the answer to everything it still makes me skeptical that I found it on that forum rather then ours.

Have you tried dosing Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO, also known as Hydric Acid)? I swear by it.

DHMO is naturally occurring in most municipal water supplies across the US, but it may be improperly filtered or present in varying quantities. If you aren't testing DHMO, your tank may be out of whack.

Most people don't even realize it's often found in drinking water in disturbing concentrations. DHMO has as its basis is "the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol." (source: DHMO.org)

Listen, this is serious stuff, man. If you have DHMO levels that are too low, YOUR LIVESTOCK WILL DIE. I'M YELLING B/C IT'S IMPORTANT!

I've actually gotten some of this stuff on me in it's raw, undiluted form, and it was not an entirely pleasant experience. Please be sure you are appropriately protected.

Frankly, I'm seriously concerned about the lack of DHMO awareness I've been seeing on nano-reef.com. I consider this to be an excellent source of information related to small reef tanks, but the omission of a DHMO FAQ is seriously disturbing and I have my doubts about the moderators on here overlooking this lack of information. Perhaps there is a conspiracy?

I'm hereby volunteering to appoint myself resident n-r DHMO Information Awareness EXPERT. Yes, EXPERT. I consider myself pretty much an expert on DHMO. I've spent the last 12 years working in, on, and around the stuff. In fact, I'm one of few licensed professionals in the country who is able to operate commercially using DHMO as a primary part of my business. But more on that later.

Look, StevieT, I want you to be safe. A thimble full of this stuff could cause asphyxiation, but it is pretty necessary for the true emulation of the ocean in our nano reefs. Best of luck in increasing your tanks overall degree of wetness. You can try it without DHMO, but YMMV.

Blatant commercial op: If you or anyone wants to by some high grade DHMO, let me know. I can ship in quantity, and yes, I am a professional, not some street dealer. And mods, sorry for the spam (and the conspiracy comment... j/k)... I'm interested in perhaps sponsoring the site if you think getting quality DHMO to the masses will be of interest.

No lie, I have heard this speach in two different speach classes from two different people... :closedeyes:

Phishroom: is it true tangs ingest and excrete DHMO? I read on RC that they do and while it makes sense why tangs are the answer to everything it still makes me skeptical that I found it on that forum rather then ours.

Tangs are in fact excellent processors of DHMO. RC doesn't know much, but they do know tangs.

For example, and you can quote me on this, I recommend as much as 1 tang per gallon if you really want to tweak your DHMO levels. In my 2.5g Pico, I have two. One Blue Tang named "Dori" and the other is a rare Wu Tang named "ODB". (F! the Tang Po-Po, this is my Blue Wu Tang Clan and they are kicking it in my DHMO.)

Forgot to mention earlier... I had a college roommate who ingested large amounts of DHMO (in pure crystallized form on occasion) and ended up dropping out. Please use common sense. Oh, and no one under 18 should be using this stuff carelessly. Then there was this one time at a concert when some dude was just spraying it on the crowd and it got right in my eyes. But all that stuff you hear about flashbacks is bunk.

(Disclaimer: You should only use DHMO if you are entirely aware of its effects, whether positive or negative, and do so only at your own risk. Phishroom[tm] and Nano-Reef.com (not associated) do not condone, approve, deny, or confirm any of this data and do not assume responsibility for you, your loved ones, or anything else for that matter.)

Stevie, Stevie, Stevie....

I just figured out your complete problem.....

It's nothing to do with your DHMO, or the realtive humidity, and it has very,little to do with how dense your nipples are.....

You are using SEA monkeys.....EVERY responsible reefkeeper knows you have to use actual monkeys to get everything really wet....just try stuffing 5 or 6 of those into your tank and EVERYTHING around will be wet!!!!

They are really much easier to control if you have a fully enclosed canopy on your tank!

It's nothing to do with your DHMO, or the realtive humidity, and it has very,little to do with how dense your nipples are.....

You are using SEA monkeys.....EVERY responsible reefkeeper knows you have to use actual monkeys to get everything really wet....just try stuffing 5 or 6 of those into your tank and EVERYTHING around will be wet!!!!

That is an interesting insight, MitchReef. However, you have overlooked one detail: Monkeys are not compatible with Cats, and often have territorial issues with Tangs, especially in Nanos. Well, unless they're trained. The Tangs, that is. Use caution, make sure they're well fed (but do not overfeed!) and it might work out.

I had a neighbor who used a monkey to cycle his 3g Picotope. But I digress...

Archived