ReefCleaners.org

My water isn't wet

StevieT

Well, you have several options.

1) Turn your house thermostat up some--- if your water is a solid, glassy looking block, it may actually be frozen. If you are using a chiller, adjust it up a few degrees too. You can also ad some Prestone anti-freeze to your top-off water (I recommend using a drip so the anti-freeze doesn't precipitate all your octane booster out of solution).

2) Consider polishing your water with some Carnauba wax before putting it in the tank. Sometimes water is actually wet, but has a haze to it that makes it appear to be solid---- a good buffing with carnauba wax can solve this. You can also add a granulated carnauba reactor to your sump to keep the water continuously polished.

3) If your water is scaly and encrusted, you can try a pressure-washer. If you don't have one, you can hike it out to the local DIY carwash place. If you can find one that has the engine degreaser option on the machine, USE IT, will help remove some of the greasy DOC's in your water, and to boot, it may also have a "FINISH WAX" option similar to the above option.

4) Try plumbing your home's Air-Conditioner condensation drip-line directly into the tank. The constant addition of nice, clean household moisture will help keep your water wet.

5) Set your tank outside next time you have a good thunderstorm.

6) Reduce the amount of salt mix you are using. I once saw a guy that only used one of those swing-needle type hydrometers instead of a refractometer. Man, lemme tell you, it was awful. His had added so much salt that the glass was rusting and his live rock was FLOATING, yet the hydrometer said "1.015".

7) Stop dosing with Jell-O. While the collagen in it does help our corals grow pretty hair and nails, and makes neat lip injections on some fish, it may be causing your water to clot up.

If none of those work, go get some RO/DI water from the LFS, run it through a heat still, and have the drip run directly through an RO/DI unit. Every gallon of RO/DI water from the LFS should produce, a LEAST two cups of actual water. If not, have your LFS check their system with a TDS meter.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just thought of something, why not try some of this?

onion.jpg

I hear it does wonders making your eyes and face wet and moist, maybe it will have the same effect on your dry water ;)

BE CAREFUL!!!

I'd check with Randy Holmes-Farley before dosing onion. There is a critical balance in seawater between onion, and a chemically similar nutrient, "garlic". If you dose too much onion, you may actually cause the water to get worse because there is only so much aromatic tuber that water can hold.

Balance is the key. I hear some of the "old timers" used to dose liver with the onions with good effect, but then again that was back in the days of "reef cemetery tanks" and homebrew salt mixes.

Reg%20Garlic%20Granules.jpg

maybe you can put some wet-backs in the tank, they like living in small enclosures apparantly. their wetness will rub off into the tank.

I believe he may have finally solved the dilemma!!!!!!

I talked to my uncle, and he says he's never heard of this "dry RO/DI water" stuff.

He also said I'm too gullible and wanted to know what the heck kind of forum I was on.

Guess that's what I get for trying to be helpful.

StevieT, I'm into photography too, I'll try to find this Gallery to check out some of your pics.

maybe you can put some wet-backs in the tank, they like living in small enclosures apparantly. their wetness will rub off into the tank.

Careful when taking this approach as they will all try to get in the tank at the same time causing it to over flow onto the floor and then taking the wetness back out.

Militant Jurist

Looks like you have a lot of options to consider. I just want to point out that the sea men option is probably the lowest cost option. You pretty much can go to any reputable alley and get all of the sea men that you can suck out of a hose for free. I think they make you close your eyes though, to make sure no one is trying to get more than they should.

I talked to my uncle, and he says he's never heard of this "dry RO/DI water" stuff.

He also said I'm too gullible and wanted to know what the heck kind of forum I was on.

StevieT, I'm into photography too, I'll try to find this Gallery to check out some of your pics.

I just gotta wonder....is somebody paying this person for this???? Where is this fish store? Guam????

I hear they have really wet water in Guam!

Militant Jurist
well I heard peeing in your tank can start a wet-cycle... should fair well with the sea-men idea

I'm not so sure about that. Usually when a tank is in need of sea-men, it might backlash if you pee in it.

Went ahead and rebooted the tank. But after the restart all I received was a blue screen of death!!!! :o It took me over an hour to get it back to what is the normal these days, still dry. :angry:

Probably needs to be de-fragged.

HTH

I cant help but wonder if some super noob will read this thread and actual takes someones advice.

Why do you think I have that huge disclamer in my sig!

:welcome:

Hey dont worry about it to much. Once your cycle is over and the tank matures a little bit it will hit puberty. Then everynight it will experience a rewetting cycle. That will solve this problem but I am sad to say it will cause many many new problems.

Hey dont worry about it to much. Once your cycle is over and the tank matures a little bit it will hit puberty. Then everynight it will experience a rewetting cycle. That will solve this problem but I am sad to say it will cause many many new problems.

per your expert opinion how long will it take for my tank to mature? I haven't herd any voice changes, it does have spots all over the glass, they are purple in color maybe that is a sign of acne. I sure hope you are correct, maybe a little weldon will help? #4 or #16?

Steve, i think I saw alot of great suggestions and you have tried a few.

I have one last one, Using Coca-Cola add it yo your tank instead of ro/di top offs! don't use pepsi-cola becuase it has too much syrup and not enough carbonation. It will start a reaction in your tank as long as you have been dosing Kalkwasser all day, as I assume you have been doing becuase its so dry. the carbonation will react with your kalk and gasses will release, they should condense on your tanks glass. THAT should at the very least help alleviate some of the dryness.

Steve, i think I saw alot of great suggestions and you have tried a few.

I have one last one, Using Coca-Cola add it yo your tank instead of ro/di top offs! don't use pepsi-cola becuase it has too much syrup and not enough carbonation. It will start a reaction in your tank as long as you have been dosing Kalkwasser all day, as I assume you have been doing becuase its so dry. the carbonation will react with your kalk and gasses will release, they should condense on your tanks glass. THAT should at the very least help alleviate some of the dryness.

now my fish are all acting crazy from the caffeine. One is swimming upside down in loops, and another is shivering in the corner

now my fish are all acting crazy from the caffeine. One is swimming upside down in loops, and another is shivering in the corner

Hmmm, maybe I should give my frozen fish caffeine....? Red bull?

Red Bull with vodka dosing! nom nom nom

.... What if I drank that? Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me and the fish only 'look' like they aren't moving.. Maybe the redbull/vodka will jolt me back into this plane of time/existence...?

Militant Jurist
it will but watch out because too many will lead to nights you don't remember

Sometimes, I think that's the point. Unfortunately, it typically doesn't work retroactively, which would make it absolutely awesome sometimes.

Anyways, maybe you should start doing your WCs with 1/2 sugar and 1/2 salt. That's how I get my softies and inverts growing up strong. Oh, and don't forget your Wheaties dosing.

Archived