inTank Media Baskets

Running a fishtank without any arms or legs

dexter1080

Sorry to hear that, dude. Are you planning on starting over? I had a similar experience in the past where I cooked my tank with a bad heater, lost everything.. I gave up on the hobby at that time and regretted it. Don't give up, just try to learn from your mistakes and start over.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hear that, dude. Are you planning on starting over? I had a similar experience in the past where I cooked my tank with a bad heater, lost everything.. I gave up on the hobby at that time and regretted it. Don't give up, just try to learn from your mistakes and start over.

Yup. My family all pitched in and got me a gift certificate for my LRS for Christmas. it has brought me so much enjoyment that I could never give it up. It's going to take a while But will be well worth it when I'm back to where I was before or better.

That's too bad Brendon. I'm glad to see that you're not giving up on it like so many do when their tanks crash.

Once you get that thing going again, PM me, and I'll gladly send you some frags no-charge.

Happy New Year to you!

Glad you're not giving up bro!!!

Just look at it this way... Now you can make the new set up even better!!! :happydance:

Let me know when you get 'er going, and I'll grow a pair and frag some stuff for ya bro!!!

That's too bad Brendon. I'm glad to see that you're not giving up on it like so many do when their tanks crash.

Once you get that thing going again, PM me, and I'll gladly send you some frags no-charge.

Happy New Year to you!

WOW!! That is so awesome, you have no idea how exciting that is to me. Thank you so much, I will definitely take you up on that.

Glad you're not giving up bro!!!

Just look at it this way... Now you can make the new set up even better!!! :happydance:

Let me know when you get 'er going, and I'll grow a pair and frag some stuff for ya bro!!!

Thank you so much, what a great Christmas this has turned out to be. Thank you and God bless.

Hey Dexter,

I just want to start out by saying Welcome to Nano-Reef, and Merry Christmas. I too am new here and have just read up on your thread. Looks like you had a good start, and this hobby will definitely be difficult for you but props to you for trying!! I really couldnt see myself in your position. But it looks like you kinda jumped the gun starting out, in 1 month you already had a nem, 3 fish and coral. IDK what other people think, but personally it took me 1 month just for my tank to cycle and then I got crabs and snails, 2 weeks later I got 2 HARDY corals to see if the tank was right for a fish, then i got 2 fish 3 months later. I say this time around, you should take your time.. let it recycle for a few weeks, then get crabs, snails and eventually fish. I know it is difficult just to look at an empty tank, but in the long run everything will be healthier, and save you some $$$

Btw, that coral in the 2nd picture looks like a Flowerpot (is it?) if it is, they need a SEASONED TANK, like one that has been through all the bumps in the road and more... just a thought! I would start out with some shrooms, green star polyps...

Keep us updated, and good luck!! Dont be discouraged!!!

Sorry to hear about the tank crash.

Let me know when you have it back up and going. I might have a Ric or two for ya.

You have no idea how much this means to me. Thank you thank you so so much. I'm very excited to take you up on this. Christmas has definitely turned around for me. I really appreciate it.

Thanks to everybody for all your help. This website has been such a fantastic gift.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dexter,

Just wanted to check in and see if you have the tank back up. I have a couple of Rics that are in the process of splitting so I should have 2 new ones to give you when you're ready.

Dex- Sorry to hear about the tank, that is a big bummer! I have made my share of mistakes in this hobby and we only come out stronger and smater afterwards. I hope you can enjoy the media basket in the new setup. I wish the the best of luck, let me know if you ever have any questions.

Dex- Sorry to hear about the tank, that is a big bummer! I have made my share of mistakes in this hobby and we only come out stronger and smater afterwards. I hope you can enjoy the media basket in the new setup. I wish the the best of luck, let me know if you ever have any questions.

thanks buddy. I definitely do have my questions for you once I'm up and running again.

• 3 weeks later...

Round two is underway! I just went to the store to replenish with some new live rock. Once I get that all set up I'm going to take some pictures and put them up. We'll see how it looks once it's all done.

Round two is underway! I just went to the store to replenish with some new live rock. Once I get that all set up I'm going to take some pictures and put them up. We'll see how it looks once it's all done.

Awesome! I cant wait to see pics! Im glad your not giving up and your gonna give it another shot!!

Awesome! I cant wait to see pics! Im glad your not giving up and your gonna give it another shot!!

Agreed!

That is awesome bro! Can't wait to see what you do with it this time around!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry but I have not kept this thread updated at all. I had some complications with my voice recognition program for quite some time now. We've had to go back and forth with Dragon Naturally Speaking for months now. They've been driving me crazy it's been a hard not been able to type very fast at all. I have an infrared mouse that I use that follows my head movement called a Smart Nav. It allows me to use the computer and guide myself around but it only allows me to type one letter at a time. Each one of those letters takes 1.2 seconds. I have to hold still on one of the letters on my on-screen keyboard every time I want to click something. It takes more than 5 minutes to write an actual paragraph. You see why it's been driving me crazy.

Since the last time that actually put a post up there been so many changes. My new rock formation I've got off so so excited about. It looks awesome and it leaves me tons of room to put coral and build my little underwater sea planet. One of the caregivers has a boyfriend that worked in a salt water fish store before he moved up here to Washington. He is so entertaining to talk to. We will sit there for hours talking about things to do with my tank. He has been an awesome resource. He has messed around and giving me great ideas. it's great being able to get up again. I'm going to have my caregiver takes some pictures of it and I will post them shortly.

It looks awesome and I am stoked! Well, with everything but this one crab. We call him the tarantula crab. I have to say he is really cool and fun to watch because he changes shells almost 4 or five times a day. It's really entertaining. He is getting pretty dang big now and he can be quite that terrorizer. I think he's killed about seven or eight snails now. It's driving me crazy fishing out all those empty shells. I think he's looking for something meatier than your regular fiss food. I'm debating about donating him back to my local LRS but he is so entertaining. It's like he is practicing for a marathon while looking for new real estate all the time.

I have one question, has anybody put a dead gold fish into the tank to let an oversized crab eat on? I'm curious to see if anybody has done that before and if it worked?

Thanks for keeping of with the pictures on each everybody's thread. I go through them all the time with my caregivers. We have a good time seeing all the pictures. I'm going have one of them take some pictures for me this week.

Dex

I also updated my signature. What do you think?

I read your first post and it's very inspirational... but I wouldn't put a goldfish in there because it would raise nitrates easily since your hermit cant eat it fast enough

Phew! just read this whole thread :)

I am sorry about the tank crash but am happy to see that you are back on the reefing wagon!

I 'm sure that the second time around will be even better!

Reefing...there is no substitute.

I wouldn't put a goldfish in there because it would raise nitrates easily since your hermit cant eat it fast enough

Good to know. Thanks.

Hi Dexter!

Glad to see you're enjoying the very best possible thing in life: Aquaria!

Your tank looks promising but if I were you I'd get rid of the plastic plants and use feather caulerpa...and does your sig mean "Disabled Saltwater Fish Fan"?

And that is one awesome piece of LR...

Archived