ReefCleaners.org

Running a fishtank without any arms or legs

dexter1080

Here are a few more pictures that I didn't put up yesterday. I would name them all but, I have to run to physical therapy right now.

it's 70° in Seattle right now so it is going to be a great day.

here is what I have in my tank right now by the way.

In my tank

Have

Nassarius Snail x5

Blue legged dwarf crab x2

Dwarf Zebra Hermit x1

False-Percula Clown x1

Green Torch x3

Fire Schrimp x1

Bubble Coral x1

Button Polup x1

Hammer Coral x2

Monti Cap x1

Pink yuma x1

Colt Coral x1

Yellow Polups x6

Orange spotted file fish x1

Green mushroom x7

By colored bleeny x1

Long spine urchinnt x1

DSC02696.jpg

DSC02693.jpg

DSC02691.jpg

DSC02689.jpg

DSC02680.jpg

DSC02675.jpg

DSC02674.jpg

DSC02672.jpg

DSC02671.jpg

DSC02670.jpg

DSC02668.jpg

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1337TANKHAX

thats a good looking tank. Those orange spotted file-fish are very difficult to keep, they are pretty fussy eaters, so keep an eye on its belly. ;)

dexter1080
thats a good looking tank. Those orange spotted file-fish are very difficult to keep, they are pretty fussy eaters, so keep an eye on its belly. ;)

Yup, i've heard. I'm givin' him a trail run to see what happens.

Hey Dexter,

I just read through this entire thread. I am an occassionaly lurker in these parts. Haha. I just wanted to say that I think what you're doing is AMAZING!!! Most of us take our health, our mobility and our lives in general for granted. Bravo to you to taking a lemon and making lemonade.

I just wanted to make a suggestion, if I could...I would urge you to do research on what it is you add to the tank. If I see a fish or coral that I like at the LFS, I come home and really do a lot of research on whether or not that fish/coral/invert is going to do well in my tank. It just makes life easier on you, your tank and it's inhabitants. Also, there's a lot of stock to be bought in members of this forum's experience in the way of drygoods for your tank. The filefish is not suitable for your nano. He is beautiful though. However, this is one of those species that are better left in the wild, as that is surely where he came from.

Keep up the good work...and I'll be keeping up with the thread. Looks like your Mariners are off to a good start. I'm a huge Griffey fan, so I definitely am keeping an eye on things up there.

er1c_the_reefer

suggestion i read in a magazine on the orange spot filefishes: melt some mysis cubes and smear them on some dead acro branches and refreeze them. when read to feed, put the acro branches in. sometimes it works.

dexter1080
Hey Dexter,

I just read through this entire thread. I am an occassionaly lurker in these parts. Haha. I just wanted to say that I think what you're doing is AMAZING!!! Most of us take our health, our mobility and our lives in general for granted. Bravo to you to taking a lemon and making lemonade.

I just wanted to make a suggestion, if I could...I would urge you to do research on what it is you add to the tank. If I see a fish or coral that I like at the LFS, I come home and really do a lot of research on whether or not that fish/coral/invert is going to do well in my tank. It just makes life easier on you, your tank and it's inhabitants. Also, there's a lot of stock to be bought in members of this forum's experience in the way of drygoods for your tank. The filefish is not suitable for your nano. He is beautiful though. However, this is one of those species that are better left in the wild, as that is surely where he came from.

Keep up the good work...and I'll be keeping up with the thread. Looks like your Mariners are off to a good start. I'm a huge Griffey fan, so I definitely am keeping an eye on things up there.

Thanks for the compliment, I'll take whatever I can get. Life is tough but I do a good job at it.

Oh yeah, I am a Griffey fan as well. He was my childhood hero and a smart move by the Mariners to bring him back. Hopefully they will put out a good season this year. But I'm way more interested in the sounders fc right now. They are kicking ass and taking names. No Major league soccer team in the entire nation sells more tickets than they do. 22,000 season tickets were purchased after the first game. That's a record for the MLS. Here are some pictures of my girlfriend and i at Qwest Field.

090425-Sounders_0271.jpg

CIMG8787.jpg

CIMG8788.jpg

CIMG8792.jpg

CIMG8877.jpg

CIMG8812-1.jpg

suggestion i read in a magazine on the orange spot filefishes: melt some mysis cubes and smear them on some dead acro branches and refreeze them. when read to feed, put the acro branches in. sometimes it works.

Good to know. Thanks.

• 5 months later...

Wow. It has been a long time since I have been on here. My tank is doing great. I really enjoy this hobby. I wish I would have kept you guys updated more. I just haven't taken the time to come on here and post the updates.

Well, here are a bunch of pictures for you to take a look at. Let me know what you think.

CIMG9026.jpg

CIMG9027.jpg

CIMG9028.jpg

CIMG9029.jpg

CIMG9030.jpg

CIMG9035.jpg

CIMG9037.jpg

CIMG9039.jpg

CIMG9040.jpg

CIMG9041.jpg

CIMG9044.jpg

CIMG9045.jpg

CIMG9046.jpg

CIMG9047.jpg

CIMG9051.jpg

CIMG9055.jpg

CIMG9056.jpg

CIMG9057.jpg

CIMG9059.jpg

CIMG9060.jpg

CIMG9068.jpg

CIMG9069.jpg

CIMG9070.jpg

CIMG9074.jpg

CIMG9078.jpg

CIMG9082.jpg

CIMG9085.jpg

CIMG9088.jpg

CIMG9090.jpg

CIMG9091.jpg

CIMG9093.jpg

CIMG9094.jpg

CIMG9095.jpg

CIMG9099.jpg

CIMG9100.jpg

CIMG9101.jpg

CIMG9102.jpg

CIMG9103.jpg

CIMG9104.jpg

CIMG9105.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for all the compliments. I think I am doing a pretty good job right now. It has taken a long time to get here but it is all turning out in the end.

Hat's off to you man. I'm pretty new to these forums and just read the entire thread. You're tank looks great- nice color and balance of different corals. How long have you been keeping the gonio? I want one, but have heard mixed reviews about their survivability.

Hat's off to you man. I'm pretty new to these forums and just read the entire thread. You're tank looks great- nice color and balance of different corals. How long have you been keeping the gonio? I want one, but have heard mixed reviews about their survivability.

Thanks man. This is a great forum. I have had my tank for just a little over a year now. There are so many people on here that have given me advice when I first started too. I love it.

To tell you thee truth I heard the same thing myself but I haven't had any problems at all. I think it's a great coral and the heads multiply really quick. I say give it a try.

I am trying to do a lighting modification on a 29g biocube. I am eager to see what was done and what you/they used. I want to upgrade the lighting and I'm not sure what to do. There aren't brighter bulbs that you can buy for it.

Any advice would be great.

Many people run an open top tank with metal halides, maybe that would work?

and nice chalk bass! how do you like the little fella? i might get one.

& I <3 your clown :lol:

I went to my local reef store yesterday and got a flame scallop. The color on this thing is amazing! It looks so good in my tank. It was only $9.99 too. Super stoked about my new purchase.

ScallopElectricFlameJPG.jpg

just a heads up..those don't seem to last very long in people's tank...i'v never had one before, just read about others experience..read some that has had success too...maybe they can put some input too

I am trying to do a lighting modification on a 29g biocube. I am eager to see what was done and what you/they used. I want to upgrade the lighting and I'm not sure what to do. There aren't brighter bulbs that you can buy for it.

Any advice would be great.

Check out Nanotuners/Nanocustoms. They offer lots of lighting options, from more PC bulbs in the hood, to halide upgrades, all the way to high-power LED kits.

• 2 weeks later...

New Pics. some of the coral in there I don't know the names of. any help would do.

I'm really starting to like the way my tank looks. Sure now all my nephews, nieces and neighbors love it.

I swear it's almost better than watching TV.

CIMG8694.jpg

CIMG9190.jpg

CIMG9191.jpg

CIMG9193.jpg

CIMG9194.jpg

CIMG9196.jpg

CIMG9197.jpg

CIMG9198.jpg

CIMG9199.jpg

CIMG9200.jpg

CIMG9201.jpg

CIMG9202.jpg

CIMG9204.jpg

CIMG9205.jpg

CIMG9207.jpg

CIMG9208.jpg

CIMG9209.jpg

CIMG9210.jpg

CIMG9211.jpg

CIMG9212.jpg

By the way, I would like to give a big huge thanks to Bird for donating a few small frags to me. It made my day. Now all I have to do is figure out where to put them. Thanks again man. That really put a big smile on my face.

CIMG9190.jpg

CIMG9191.jpg

CIMG9196.jpg

CIMG9199.jpg

CIMG9200.jpg

Archived