Top Shelf Aquatics

Running a fishtank without any arms or legs

dexter1080

Couldn't give any opinion on the skimmer, just wanted to say, tank looks like it is doing great.

How are the Raptors doing? Keep them up high so they get best light.

I think any skimmer is better than none. As long as it fits OK in the tank.

Will the Tunze fit in the back with lid closed?

I understand Sapphire Aquatics makes a skimmer that fits your tank, but I don't know how it works except for what I read that it does well.

If I'm correct I think the raptors are the ones that have pink in them, correct? If so, yes they are doing good. Growing away but kind of slowly. There is another one that is growing fantastic down at the bottom of my tank with a couple of ricordias I put on a small rock. There is another one I like that has a purple look to it I kind of have low that is doing real well too. All in all your little care package has been an absolutely amazing gift to me. I want to thank you so much for doing that. That meant so much to me. I've never met you but I already know you're a good friend!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I'm correct I think the raptors are the ones that have pink in them, correct? If so, yes they are doing good. Growing away but kind of slowly. There is another one that is growing fantastic down at the bottom of my tank with a couple of ricordias I put on a small rock. There is another one I like that has a purple look to it I kind of have low that is doing real well too. All in all your little care package has been an absolutely amazing gift to me. I want to thank you so much for doing that. That meant so much to me. I've never met you but I already know you're a good friend!

Thanks.

I saw the pic of the pink ones with the purple centers if that is the ones you are talking about growing fast. They are doing well. Much better than they were in my tank.

Glad you like them.

How is the hippo doing?

I saw some small ones in the pet store the other day. They are darling little tykes.

Unfortunately I have too many fish now already. If I could catch them I think I would probably go fishless so I wouldn't have to feed them and could concentrate on growing my sps corals out.

The Raptors are these

IMG_0078.jpg?t=1264880906

LMK when ever you are ready for some other odds and ends once the warm weather comes around again. I have some of the Sunny Delights broken up into small clumps now too.

IMG_1470.jpg?t=1264881032

i personaly had a tunze 9002 and worked fanstatic... and they must be good because u can resale em at 100 bucks used... pulled out alot more skimate then the stock skimmer on the NC28...

I would try A HOB fuge with a skimmer its what i did and worked awsome...

i dont know about the fit for it if people do it great u might wana look into the sapphire aquatics made for the 28 heard those are good too...

I have some very exciting news! I've been asked to go on a radio show.

I'm pretty excited because I've never been interviewed before on a live show before. The radio station I'm going to be on is 1150am KKNW. They interview people with inspirational stories. If you have some time please listen to the show. I'm going to share my story of where I'm at and how I've overcome some pretty tough challenges to get me here today. There is a website they have that uploads their shows to podcasts. Please download it if you have chance to listen live. They uploaded the show to the website. The website address is www.mwpradio.com and the radio show is called Motivation with a purpose. Go click on the podcast button and you'll see a link that says Brendon McCallum.

Hopefully you enjoy it. I had a great time on the show and I think I did pretty good job too!

Thanks.

I saw the pic of the pink ones with the purple centers if that is the ones you are talking about growing fast. They are doing well. Much better than they were in my tank.

Glad you like them.

How is the hippo doing?

I saw some small ones in the pet store the other day. They are darling little tykes.

Unfortunately I have too many fish now already. If I could catch them I think I would probably go fishless so I wouldn't have to feed them and could concentrate on growing my sps corals out.

The Raptors are these

IMG_0078.jpg?t=1264880906

LMK when ever you are ready for some other odds and ends once the warm weather comes around again. I have some of the Sunny Delights broken up into small clumps now too.

IMG_1470.jpg?t=1264881032

Hey my friend. Yes, those are growing really fast. I'm super excited. They are beautiful and ad some great color to my fish tank. Again, thank you so much. You are so kind. I've appreciated looking at your little care package every single day! Thanks my friend.

The raptors I put up top and they are beautiful. I love the bright pink in the middle. It is growing a little slowly but it's coming along. It's hard to get a picture of because it's in a hard-to-reach place. I'm going to try in the next few days and see what I can do.

The picture of those sunny delights are absolutely amazing! You do a great job of getting some beautiful coral. I enjoy looking at your pictures. If you have a small clump of those sunny delights that you would send my way, that would make my day! I was just looking at my tank and I know the perfect spot for them.

Where do you live? Are you across the country or someone close to the west side?

Hey my friend. Yes, those are growing really fast. I'm super excited. They are beautiful and ad some great color to my fish tank. Again, thank you so much. You are so kind. I've appreciated looking at your little care package every single day! Thanks my friend.

The raptors I put up top and they are beautiful. I love the bright pink in the middle. It is growing a little slowly but it's coming along. It's hard to get a picture of because it's in a hard-to-reach place. I'm going to try in the next few days and see what I can do.

The picture of those sunny delights are absolutely amazing! You do a great job of getting some beautiful coral. I enjoy looking at your pictures. If you have a small clump of those sunny delights that you would send my way, that would make my day! I was just looking at my tank and I know the perfect spot for them.

Where do you live? Are you across the country or someone close to the west side?

your PM box is full

here is what I tried to pm. Guess it is OK here since it is your thread.

Don't mention it. So many times pple have turned me on to nice corals I can only try and repay by sharing the experience.

Glad the raptors are doing well. Once the weather gets warmer I will send some of these Sunny Delights. Maybe a couple others too. Stuff is really starting to grow out and I don't mind sharing.

I am especially pleased with my Purple Deaths and Nuclear Green zoanthids.

For the longest they just sat doing hardly anything, but lately they have been spitting out new polyps almost on a daily basis. I account it to the Brightwell CoralAmino I have been using.

I really like your tank BTW.

Mine has way too much rock and I have thought of removing some of it, but I am afraid of what would happen to the parameters.

I wish I had thought more on my aquascaping before hand.

Adding stuff like you have, like the cucumber, I am afraid would only get lost and never seen.

Well, maybe one of these days I can redo it and add cool creatures too.

I am in Florida so not too close to where you are unfortunately.

With the cold we have had though I might as well say I am in Michigan. lol

This has been a cold winter. I know it gets much colder further north, but hey, this is Florida.

OK buddy. Time to do a water change. I have been starting to get cyano again. I think I overfeed is the problem.

Are you using anything like chemipur or such? I need to find something to keep the nutrients lower.

your PM box is full

here is what I tried to pm. Guess it is OK here since it is your thread.

Don't mention it. So many times pple have turned me on to nice corals I can only try and repay by sharing the experience.

Glad the raptors are doing well. Once the weather gets warmer I will send some of these Sunny Delights. Maybe a couple others too. Stuff is really starting to grow out and I don't mind sharing.

I am especially pleased with my Purple Deaths and Nuclear Green zoanthids.

For the longest they just sat doing hardly anything, but lately they have been spitting out new polyps almost on a daily basis. I account it to the Brightwell CoralAmino I have been using.

I really like your tank BTW.

Mine has way too much rock and I have thought of removing some of it, but I am afraid of what would happen to the parameters.

I wish I had thought more on my aquascaping before hand.

Adding stuff like you have, like the cucumber, I am afraid would only get lost and never seen.

Well, maybe one of these days I can redo it and add cool creatures too.

I am in Florida so not too close to where you are unfortunately.

With the cold we have had though I might as well say I am in Michigan. lol

This has been a cold winter. I know it gets much colder further north, but hey, this is Florida.

OK buddy. Time to do a water change. I have been starting to get cyano again. I think I overfeed is the problem.

Are you using anything like chemipur or such? I need to find something to keep the nutrients lower.

Thanks again my friend. I do appreciate it a lot. I've never heard of Brightwell CoralAmino but just looked it up... it seems like a great product. I'm very interested. I'm really starting to like my tank too. I like the aqua skape I did and I think it gives Me a lot room to play with. The sea cucumber has never moved actually. I think it was one of my best purchases. besides the fish tank that is. lol. I'm not sure what cyano is. Is it that green grass that grows everywhere? I get a lot of that in my tank. It drives me crazy. We use a toothbrush to get it off but it gets everywhere. I do use chemipure. I also use something called purigen. Stevie T.'s recommendation. I think it's doing pretty good job actually.

Florida? You are definitely the furthest away from me as possible. Are you by Miami at all? I'm looking forward to watching the Super Bowl on Sunday. Go saints!

Thanks again for your kind generosity. It is much appreciated.

Here are a few pictures that we got in the morning when the sun was shining through the tank. Boy did it look absolutely beautiful.

CIMG9927.jpg

CIMG9930.jpg

CIMG9942.jpg

CIMG9943.jpg

CIMG9951.jpg

So, I have a question. There is a red algae that grows in my tank sometimes and I'm not sure what it is or the best way to get rid of it. Any ideas? Here are a few pictures.

CIMG0071.jpg

CIMG0072.jpg

CIMG0073.jpg

CIMG0074.jpg

Well it's kind of random but I thought I would put some pictures of myself. Just so you can see who I am. most of them are pictures of me and friends.

<center>

Here is a picture of my good friend Carson. He is the one that dove into the pool and saved me when I broke my neck.

CIMG5335-1.jpg

CIMG0043.jpg

Every year I throw a party called the celebrating life party on the anniversary date of my accident.

Here is a picture of all the homies!

CIMG0900.jpg

This is my dad, stepmom, and stepbrothers. My dad has a 150g saltwater fish tank himself. No coral though, just live rock and fish. It's not really doing too well nowadays though. CIMG9558.jpg

Here is a picture of the neighbor girls coming over to say hi. My tank in the background.

CIMG9642.jpg

Here is my caregiver that helps me work on my fish tank. She does a great job. My other caregiver I just hired is scared of putting her hand in there. She'll have to get over that sometime soon.

CIMG0127.jpg

CIMG9967.jpg

This is a picture of some random girl I was hitting on in the bar last weekend. I have a photo album on Facebook called girls in my lap. My friends get a kick out of it. I might be paralyzed but I'm still a flirt!

CIMG0113.jpg

Hey pretty girls and an even hotter tank! I listened to your radio interview. It was very interesting and encouraging. Your anniversary parties sound pretty rockin!

Hey pretty girls and an even hotter tank! I listened to your radio interview. It was very interesting and encouraging. Your anniversary parties sound pretty rockin!

Hey man. Thanks for listening to it. I enjoyed being on the show and sharing my story. And yes... we've had some good times at the anniversary party!

haha! look whos popular! i can imagine you saying, come here baby, theres enough room on this chair for two. :D

Haha. That's a good one. I'm totally going to use that!

Here are a few pictures I just a few pictures I took of the tank this afternoon. We did a water change last night and cleaned everything out. I love how looks so nice and clean now!

Full tank shot.

CIMG0174.jpg

This guy is my new favorite employee! I had bristle worms that were multiplying a ton. I put him in there and I don't think I've seen a single one nowadays. Good for you buddy.

CIMG0162.jpg

CIMG9899.jpg

A colt coral that's growing like mad.

CIMG0148.jpg

My favorite Little Rock. I love the colors of those Ricordia. Thanks to Bird those zoas look beautiful and their growing really fast too.

CIMG0159.jpg

My high fin goby Outside of his cave. I've heard the pistol shrimp pair with them and are amazing to watch. I'm wondering if you take some time for that to actually happen or if it's something that happens pretty quick.

CIMG0160.jpg

I think this is called torch coral but I'm not exactly positive. It looks great nowadays. It started out as two smalls heads at the beginning.

CIMG0175.jpg

This is my montipora from the top view. I never taken photos from the top of the tank so it didn't turn out that great. It's actually a pink color. I just got one that bright purple recently. It looks amazing but it's very smaller right now. I really look forward to it growing out.

CIMG0178.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow man awesome story and awesome tank! Looks like you still have a good time at the bar to haha! Seriously though I love the Yellow Gorgonian and the variety you have. Keep the pics coming man Ill definitely be tagging along!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!

Everything is looking good and growing really well I've just lost the camera and haven't been able to take any photos for an update. As soon as I get another I definitely will though.

I just installed new lighting, a protein skimmer and fuge is going in tomorrow so I'm excited about my new updates. I can't wait until I get a camera to show you.

So, I have a question. There is a red algae that grows in my tank sometimes and I'm not sure what it is or the best way to get rid of it. Any ideas? Here are a few pictures.

CIMG0074.jpg

Latest pics look awesome!

How did you take care of the cyano from a couple months ago? I am getting a little bit of it in my tank. ugh!

cya! :)

Latest pics look awesome!

How did you take care of the cyano from a couple months ago? I am getting a little bit of it in my tank. ugh!

cya! :)

Well... we ended up actually clearing out the tank and replacing all the sand. I think that it was definitely needed. It was quite a process that definitely looks amazing now! Highly recommend!

Archived