Innovative Marine Aquariums

Running a fishtank without any arms or legs

dexter1080

Hi Dexter!

Glad to see you're enjoying the very best possible thing in life: Aquaria!

Your tank looks promising but if I were you I'd get rid of the plastic plants and use feather caulerpa...and does your sig mean "Disabled Saltwater Fish Fan"?

And that is one awesome piece of LR...

Haha.That was an old picture from the beginning. Everything is changed around now. I'm going to put up a bunch of pictures later today.

And yes, you got it right. Disabled saltwater fish fan. Kind of funny huh?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glad to see your back after your tank crash. Good Luck and post pics of the new tank! omgomgomg

Here are some pictures from a last month.

CIMG8681.jpg

CIMG8680.jpg

CIMG8682.jpg

CIMG8683.jpg

CIMG8684.jpg

CIMG8685.jpg

CIMG8686.jpg

that hermit is a beast

Oh my gosh, he is getting big. Actually, both of them are getting big. I almost think they are too big and I don't want them to tromp on all my coral. I've been thinking about bringing them back to my LFS but I would miss them.

okay, so I got rid of this big crab that was in my tank. We called him tarantula crab. He was nasty, you eat my snails and tromple all over my coral. I finally got rid of that damsel too, he would terrorize my clown fish. It was a good test fish but he had to go.

The crab on the left. the one with the bigger claw I did keep tho period. He is a lot calmer. Usually stays in one spot and eats away at food. And moves around and eats away at the food period. Plus he is much better color.

CIMG8736.jpg

if its hard for you to talk man, you can just post pictures. pictures explain everything =p if not, it would at least take less time to get a point across, and with very little words. idk, just my 2cents.

^ does that make sense at all?

+ sorry about the crash, its great to see that you have put so much time and effort into this

and you're not giving up. good luck with you're new setup. i hope everything goes well :]

Wow. great idea. Thank you so much. That makes so much sense.

I agree, will start this method too.

By the way :welcome: to the site. There is tonnes to learn on here. you are off to a great start.

if its hard for you to talk man, you can just post pictures. pictures explain everything =p if not, it would at least take less time to get a point across, and with very little words. idk, just my 2cents.

^ does that make sense at all?

+ sorry about the crash, its great to see that you have put so much time and effort into this

and you're not giving up. good luck with you're new setup. i hope everything goes well :]

Thanks for understanding. You are right. I have to type in each letter one at a time. It definitely takes a lot of time but at least I can get a message across. I'll keep posting pictures for you. Pictures do tell a story.

Why dont you try a pistol shrimp with a watchman goby they are a lot of fun to watch

I heard about that. The guy from Mike LRF said it was very entertaining. Thanks for the idea, I'll take him up on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you move your pictures into a different folder? There arn't hosting correctly.

Glad you are back up and running.

I haven't put anything up in the last couple of weeks. Man, I'm definitely slackin' on taking pictures and posting them up. My camera drives me crazy. It doesn't take very good photos at all. But, hey, at least I have one.

I've been making trips to and from my LRS usually every other week. There is a nice guy that helps me out all the time. He is great. He gives me a great discount on all the coral that I pick up from him. So I usually pay 10 or $15 for a small frag. It's been definitely fun watching them grow. Sometimes I will leave the house and come back later on in the day to see something noticeably larger than when I left. SO AMAZING!!!

Here are a bunch of pictures of what's in there right now. There are a couple that I'm not sure what the name is; so if you know please tell me.

Left side of tank.

CIMG8760-1.jpg

Right side.

CIMG8761.jpg

Mushrooms

CIMG8762.jpg

Middle of tank.

CIMG8764.jpg

CIMG8765.jpg

I'm not sure what the name of this is. Please help.

CIMG8766.jpg

This Althenia ( spelling?) Has quadrupled size in one month.

CIMG8773.jpg

Colt Coral. the fastest grower I had ever seen.

CIMG8774.jpg

I'm not sure what the name of this yellow coral are so I call them the Goldilocks polyps.

That is a torch coral to the right of it. The thing behind it I am not sure what it is either. Any help?

CIMG8775.jpg

CIMG8776.jpg

That bubble coral in the front is growing so fast too. Those bubbles started out so small. I'm bummed that I didn't get a picture when I first put it in.

CIMG8777.jpg

Torch coral

CIMG8778.jpg

And my new favorite algae eater. Mr. Longspine sea urchin. It is so amazing and beautiful. I love the stripes. You don't find one's like that very often.

CIMG8781.jpg

And... here it is a picture of me at very first Seattle Sounders football club game last Thursday. We beat the pants off of the New York Red Bulls. The final score was 3-0!. Having the opportunity to be at the inaugural game for the sounders football club was such an honor. Our city is still buzzing about it today.

Well I hope you liked my update. If you have any ideas or thoughts please let me know.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

CIMG8812.jpg[/b]

CIMG8766.jpg

This is a monti cap. It is a SPS coral so it needs lots of light. This kind may be alright under your stock lighting just keep it up nice and high.

• 1 month later...
+1. You're best bet is to get it feeding on introduced foods quickly. In the wild, they eat coral polyps.

hmm... interesting. Any particular type of food you would recommend?

Right now I feed the tank flakes a couple times a day. And once a week I put in a chunk of brine shrimp.

I have finally taken some decent quality pictures. Thanks to my new caregiver's camera.

Sorry I don't do things up here very often. I can only get new fish and/or coral every once in a while. Everything is expensive as you know. So it is now been 5 months and I'm doing pretty good. Boy it is fun to watch everything grow.

Check these out. I am also wondering what a couple things are. so if you know Let me know.

Dex

My new Fish. An orange spotted file fish

UR085-1.jpg

I got this from my LRS for a great price but he wasn't sure what the name of it was. He called it the Goldilocks Pollop. Does that sound right?§

DSC02736.jpg

DSC02735.jpg

my fire shrimp. Boy that red is so beautiful.

DSC02723.jpg

DSC02722.jpg

So what kind of coral is this and what are the little green bubbles growing on the rock next to it? They just started coming out in the last couple of weeks. I'm not sure what it is.

DSC02717.jpg

DSC02716.jpg

Crab. I think he is my hardest worker. He has a couple of arms that looked like fishnets. All he does is take swipes at the water to bring in food. It's so entertaining to watch. Here's a video.

DSC02709.jpg

By colored Bleeny. it is hard to catch a good picture when he is out swimming around. But he is awesome.

DSC02703.jpg

DSC02702.jpg

Brooklyngal

unfortionatly, that filefish isnt going to have a very long life. their whole diet isnt known, but I think they eat mostly SPS polyps, decimating colonies pretty quick. I'd say they need at least 1000g packed full of SPS in order for them to live very long, and even then, they'll still eat polyps rather quickly. they are pretty though.

those polyps are plain old yellow polyps, many regard them as pests. I think they're pretty (though I wouldnt keep them in my own tank due to the speed with which they spread).

the last coral looks a lot like a pink yuma to me from that shot, though I might be wrong. if it is actually that color, and is a yuma, than I envy you. I can never find reasonably priced ones near me. :(

the green bubbles around it are algae, called green bubble algae commonly. its annoying, and spread by release spores into the water when the bubbles are popped. careful about it, it can take over a tank (and even though I can look atrractive, a tank full of it is kinda irratating. if it is stays isolated to that rock, then dont worry about it, I've had about 20 bubbles on my old rocks for the last 2 yrs, and throughout many tank moves never had an outbreak.

the green bubbles around it are algae, called green bubble algae commonly. its annoying, and spread by release spores into the water when the bubbles are popped. careful about it, it can take over a tank (and even though I can look atrractive, a tank full of it is kinda irratating. if it is stays isolated to that rock, then dont worry about it, I've had about 20 bubbles on my old rocks for the last 2 yrs, and throughout many tank moves never had an outbreak.

Sweet, thanks for the heads up period. I was thinking about picking them out with a paperclip. I don't think they are that great. So i'll get rid of them.

Archived