inTank Media Baskets

Running a fishtank without any arms or legs

dexter1080

no pet monky?

Actually it's being trained right now. She will be done in a couple years.

For those who don't know there are monkeys that help out quadriplegics with daily activities.

Go check this video out. ---> http://www.monkeyhelpers.org/ <---

It won't clean fish tanks though. lol

15-1.jpg

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually it's being trained right now. She will be done in about a year.

For those who don't know there are monkeys that help out quadriplegics with daily activities.

Go check this video out. ---> http://www.monkeyhelpers.org/ <---

It won't clean fish tanks though. lol

That is awesome!!!!! good luck with the monkey

Thought of any names for the monkey yet?

Hey I'm really close to the city where they train those monkeys. "Boston the city of trained monkeys"

That is awesome!!!!! good luck with the monkey

Thought of any names for the monkey yet?

Hey I'm really close to the city where they train those monkeys. "Boston the city of trained monkeys"

I don't have that choice. They come with names.

Welcome to the club.

When you are ready for more livestock check around in the local area. I have picked up some great deals on really nice Zoas and Rics from local reefers. Seattle is a pretty active area for reefs.

Welcome to the club.

When you are ready for more livestock check around in the local area. I have picked up some great deals on really nice Zoas and Rics from local reefers. Seattle is a pretty active area for reefs.

Thank you fellow Seattleite. I just ended up getting a great deal on a rose bubble anemone. Boy, is it beautiful, and it is growing already in just a couple of days.I also put in a couple of snails and I'm looking at getting cleaner shrimp sometime in the future. Very interesting creature.

Question. Does anyone have a peppermint shrimp? What is the difference in what you think between the two? I like the looks of the peppermint shrimp. But I've heard the cleaner shrimp is quite handy.

I'll put up some photos here in the next couple of days.

Everyone is great on here by the way.

I love my cleaner shrimp, they are the most entertaining creatures in my tank and they can help rid your fish of parasites. But, peppermint shrimp may eat aiptasia.....so both have their benefits.

So the live rock that I ordered online are starting to grow a ton of small seaweed looking things all over them. also, they seem to be turning kind of a white color. Do you know if this is something that happens normally? Or maybe that rock is not doing that well.

Dexter,

It sounds to me like you are moving a little too fast. I think that adding an Anemone within one month of starting your tank is a colossal mistake. Not to mention the fact that your tank is really small for one. I'm honestly surprised that I'm the first one to mention this; Esp. considering how new I am to the hobby myself. I would really just slow down and let your tank cycle. You shouldn't have started off with the fish, and now you're adding more bio-load. That's probably algae starting to kick in, and you'll only see more if you continue on the path your taking. I know it's hard to wait, but you're only setting yourself up for more problems.

Like aparnold stated, anemones are not very hardy animals, unlike clownfish, because they need an established tank with strong lighting (often more than a biocube stock light provides). So, you should remember to feed the anemone to keep it alive, which will also place a heavy addition to the bioload. Hopefully it isn't bleached (looking transparent-white) because that often indicates a dying anemone.

Once again, try to stop adding any more livestock for a while (weeks). The cleaner/peppermint shrimp aren't bad, but they are just "another mouth to feed." What I mean is that they will soon start to need feedings and aren't don't bring any benefits, besides some peppermints eating aiptasia anemones, in nano tanks.

I'm not sure what kind of algae is turning white unless it is Caulerpa that has "gone sexual" (tank should be cloudy).

wow. welcome Dexter! seems like your doing a great job so far, and just so you know- i updated my signature because of you

Really? It seems to me like he's made a lot of mistakes so far... :huh:

yea mistakes = a learning process - he'll learn alot from them.. and i'd like to see you set your tank up without the use of your hands.. actually im sure you could - your water change would consist of you sucking the water into that airhead of yours. ignorant ####

yea mistakes = a learning process - he'll learn alot from them.. and i'd like to see you set your tank up without the use of your hands.. actually im sure you could - your water change would consist of you sucking the water into that airhead of yours. ignorant ####

I was wondering how long it was going to take to hear a personal insult because of my comment. It was not supposed to be offensive. Dexter is physically handicapped... NOT mentally. If anybody else had thrown an anemone in a tank less than one month old, after being told to let their tank cycle for a while there'd be a lot of people here with concerns! Why not add a clam and a few tangs? Would you be inspired by that? Tell me what the criteria are for kid gloves here on this forum and I'll try and offend no more.

lol. i didnt say his tank inspired me. i said you (dexter) inspire me.

and i have 3 yellow tangs in my 3 gal pico, whats wrong with that? my LFS told me they only need 1 gallon per fish.

lmao

lol. i didnt say his tank inspired me. i said you (dexter) inspire me.

and i have 3 yellow tangs in my 3 gal pico, whats wrong with that? my LFS told me they only need 1 gallon per fish.

It's OK, I did not state that you were inspired by his tank. I don't want this to turn in to a giant flame thread, so I am going to drop this. Dexter's ambitions in this hobby are inspirational, and I couldn't imagine a more perfect hobby for somebody in his position. I'm not a hater, I'm a nanoreef... Lover. I hope people are motivated to make the right decisions here by educating themselves... Not to fall prey to the incredibly powerful urge to rush things in this hobby.

I did a project on monkey helpers last year. Pretty interesting, can't believe you got one! I thought they were really hard to come by. Anyways good luck with the tank and you should teach it how to scuba

^^ lmao ..

what does it matter what his name is? why not just teach him to smoke it. . or blow a shotty or two.. bet that would be right up his alley

Hi Dexter

Welcome to NR and to reefing.

As mentioned already you do need to slow down. That is the best way to be successful in this hobby. The rewards will be worth it. That anemone has to be removed from you tank right away. If you can not return it to where it came from take it to the store you have been dealing with and get a credit to use later. You should have gotten the rest of your clean up crew instead. You have not mentioned if you read any of the threads in the information forum. You really should. I know you want a nice looking and healthy home for the live stock under your care. Your tank is too new, too small and does not have the correct lighting for an anemone. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby. God bless, take care and keep us posted.

Deb

Dexter- Welcome to Nano-Reef, You can tell by my post count that I'm kind of a forum Troll as I love to read but not very often interject my Opinions. A few Others have stated that the Anemone was not a wise idea and I do have to agree with them on that. But on a side note I don't think anyone has mentioned to you that you really need to watch your Clowns closely It looks to me like you have a Maroon along with an Ocellaris. They may be getting along fine now, but eventually I believe that Maroon is going to become aggressive and you may wind up with a Casulty. Just my $.02

wow. welcome Dexter! seems like your doing a great job so far, and just so you know- i updated my signature because of you

That just made my day. I got some bad news earlier today from my doctor but this just completely turned it around. Thanks for putting a huge smile on my face!

I've been reading through a lot of the last posts that people left for me. I really want to thank everybody for giving me feedback all the time. It definitely helps me out and gives me great ideas.

Maybe I have taken a chance with getting an anemone or maybe not. But the girl down at my LFS gave it to me for $20 because she really likes me and somebody traded in a ton of them just a few days ago. I figured it was worth the minimal amount I paid to bring home of beautiful rose bubble anemone that my clown fish is now in heaven with. I made sure to check all my levels before doing so as well. She said it would do just fine in there.

I want to say to those who said harsh words I do feel kind of hurt when people leave lame comments about what I'm doing though. I know this is a tough hobby and I'm going to learn a lot of things down the road. Make many mistakes, and learn new lessons. So please, give me ideas on what I should do and not beat me up on the little things. It hurts.

Archived