SaltCritters.com

Running a fishtank without any arms or legs

dexter1080

Can i suggest keeping some photosynthetic corals? that way they'll thrive on the light in your tank and you won't have to do supplement feedings. you'll have less water pollution and therefore your tank should be easier to care for.

to name a few photosynthetic corals: mushrooms, xenia, hammer coral, frogspawn, kenya trees, candy cane,torch coral, ect. there are so many to list! all are very nice

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got to see more LIVE rocks. Gimme more rocks.

more.jpg

Oh yeah. I added a bunch more live rock or already. I'll get some pictures up in a little bit.

Do you think it's a better idea to build a live rock in the middle of the tank or is it all right to put it on the sides? Just curious if anybody is done that before.

Usually it is recommended that the rocks stay off the sides if possible. Sometimes it isn't possible.

I like to keep mine off the sides so that I don't worry about scratching, and also I can clean the glass more easily.

Welcome! and looks like your off to a good start.

I applaud your efforts to take on something like this.

I don't mean to pry, but when you said diving accident, do you mean SCUBA Diving? I am a PADI instructor and have never heard of something like this happening which is why I was taken by surprise when you mentioned diving.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing more!

Glad to see you here. Read as much as you can on this site. We all spend hours here. After your tank cycles, pay close attention to the liverock. You will see small critters coming out of the holes and crevices.

Welcome again...!

Chuck

Glad to see you here. Read as much as you can on this site. We all spend hours here. After your tank cycles, pay close attention to the liverock. You will see small critters coming out of the holes and crevices.

Welcome again...!

Chuck

Yes. You are right. There are little tiny tube looking things starting to grow already. It's very exciting. Also there is a little white growth on one of the rocks. I'm not sure if that is coral growing or just some type of bacteria. You can see it in one of my pictures by the little black clown fish. Does anybody know what that is?

Looks like you got some more rock in there.

What are your goals for this tank. If you are wanting to add a lot of coral you might want to make your aquascape have more of a slant rather than a cliff. It will allow more room to place coral.

As far as flow goes... I have a 24g Aquapod with 2 koralia nano powerheads and a maxijet 1200 as the return pump and all the inhabitants really seem to enjoy the flow. I have even thought about adding a 3rd powerhead to the display.

Good luck

What are your goals for this tank. If you are wanting to add a lot of coral you might want to make your aquascape have more of a slant rather than a cliff. It will allow more room to place coral.

As far as flow goes... I have a 24g Aquapod with 2 koralia nano powerheads and a maxijet 1200 as the return pump and all the inhabitants really seem to enjoy the flow. I have even thought about adding a 3rd powerhead to the display.

Good luck

Goals?

CIMG0769.jpg

Just kidding. No. But that is a really good idea. My dad is going to be giving me quite a bit of live rock from his tank, so I will definitely start to create more of a slope when I put that in there.

As for the extra pumps that he put in there. Do you think it made that big difference in the cleanliness of your tank? Is

how do you type all this?

I use an infrared sensor that follows my head movement for a mouse called SmartNev. The program I use to type is called Dictate. It's a speech recognition program made by Dragon for the Macintosh computer. It's pretty amazing but can be quite inaccurate sometimes so I use an on-screen keyboard to help retype the errors from a company called keystrokes. It helps predict the words as you type as well too. Kind of like a T9 on your cell phone. It's not like typing but it works for me.

The technology that's out there is pretty amazing but it is quite expensive.Altogether they cost a little over $1400. Crazy huh?

I dont know if it keeps the tank cleaner but it does help with polyp extension.

Also I use the ph's in the display only when feeding and turn off the return pump to keep the food from going straight into the filter area.

Dexter welcome to the hobby and the site. Congrats to you on taking on the hobby. It can be very rewarding and you will find yourself staring at your tank all the time. Please ask questions and hopefully we can help you with them.

I dont know if it keeps the tank cleaner but it does help with polyp extension.

Also I use the ph's in the display only when feeding and turn off the return pump to keep the food from going straight into the filter area.

Flow definitely keeps the tank cleaner by blowing out detritus and waste out into the water column. Which is then fed into whatever filter system one is using.

You know what I find endearing is that this guy with all his new challenges wants to donate to this website. He doesn't get a little wind and water and then beg for everything under the sun. Anyway, all I can really suggest is take things very slow and research everything you put in your tank and do not use quick chemical fixes because they rarely work. Everything in these tanks happens for a reason and until you determine the cause you can never have an effective solution. Good luck man!

So it seems like there is a little bit of brown starting to grow in my sand. It also is starting to grow up on the bottom rim of the glass. It kind of worries me. I'm not sure what it is so anybody out there knows please advise me what it is and what I should do.

So it seems like there is a little bit of brown starting to grow in my sand. It also is starting to grow up on the bottom rim of the glass. It kind of worries me. I'm not sure what it is so anybody out there knows please advise me what it is and what I should do.

Its diatoms. Brown dusty algae that appears while you're cycling your tank. It should go away when the tank's cycle is over and the water parameters are in check.

Archived