Top Shelf Aquatics

Running a fishtank without any arms or legs

dexter1080

Its diatoms. Brown dusty algae that appears while you're cycling your tank. It should go away when the tank's cycle is over and the water parameters are in check.

So, do I need to do anything? Or just let it sit?

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like other people stated, you really did introduced those fishes little too early. But those clown fishes are really hardy, so they might be ok. Check your water condition regularly. And those diatom will be gone soon. Have plenty of cleaning crew, like snares, hermite crabs. Take your time, you'll be fine in this hobby.

If you were looking for something to keep your mind occupied you sure picked the right hobby.

Have fun with the tank a keep the updates coming!

So I went to the fish store yesterday and picked up some more live rock rumble to replace all the bio balls. I also picked up pretty cool looking live rock to add to the front of the tank that almost look like coral. Definitely pretty cool.

I also picked up a couple of a hermit crabs. One of them has made about 100 laps around the tank already. The other one... it's kind of boring. Just sits on one of the rock in the back. The fish store gave me a couple of free shells with the two of them. One of them has a little coral attached to it. It looks Very cool.

I took in a sample of water for them to check and they mentioned that I should do a water change to try to keep the nitrate levels down. They are getting a little high. It probably has to do with a light rock that I ordered online. It came in nice and wet wasn't submerged in water so I think it might have done something to the tank. Any suggestions from anyone on how to keep the nitrate levels down?

U just need to really let the tank set for the next 3 or so weeks I no it may be hard but just try to keep frome messing with it at all. dont add any more life rock or any other animials to it. And id not trust the lfs they are thare to sell stuff.

Thare are 2 kinds of ppl in this hoby the do nothing and the do somthing-(can't stop messing with the tank) now is the time to be a DO NOTHING kinda guy. the more you keep adding to the tank the more money you are going to throw away at this point.

First Welcome Dexter... :welcome:

First, Do have another light in the back sump area/rear chamber's?...because if you don't your really just replacing one nitrate trap for another with the rubble...If you plan on turning it into a mini refrugium then thats cool.

What's up -Ryan

wow I'm very impressed with all you have accomplished Dexter,

quadriplegia is an intense condition, we recently covered a case regarding C3/C4 spine compression/fractures in school and its nice and inspiring to know that the pleasures of life doesnt cease after such debilitating accidents.

congrats and welcome

Too take control of your nitrate levels

1.) Do regular Water Changes (WC)

2.) monitor your bioload....Clean Up Crew (CUC) vs. Food entering tank.

3.) You should probable take out a few bio-balls everytime you do a WC until they're all gone, then try running some purigen or Detox2 in the rear chambers along with some filter floss. (just a suggestion)

4.) Get some other opinons from everyone here...They're some good people here with some great advice.

later -Ryan

Too take control of your nitrate levels

1.) Do regular Water Changes (WC)

2.) monitor your bioload....Clean Up Crew (CUC) vs. Food entering tank.

3.) You should probable take out a few bio-balls everytime you do a WC until they're all gone, then try running some purigen or Detox2 in the rear chambers along with some filter floss. (just a suggestion)

4.) Get some other opinons from everyone here...They're some good people here with some great advice.

later -Ryan

I've completely taken out all the bio balls and replaced it with live rock now. but one question I have is what is purigen, detox2, and filter floss? I would love to know.

I've completely taken out all the bio balls and replaced it with live rock now. but one question I have is what is purigen, detox2, and filter floss? I would love to know.

The first two are forms of chemical filtration (I'm not too sure on the "detox2"). Filter floss is used by some to basically filter particles and polish the water, but it needs to be cleaned weekly so detritus doesn't accumulate and become a nitrate factory like your bio balls.

So it seems those diatoms are starting to get really intense in there for some reason. I know some of you are saying that it is a good thing and it will pass by I'm just wondering how long it usually takes and if there's something I can do to help it.

The diatoms are a natural part of a new tank, so just go slow (i.e. no more livestock additions). In the meantime, try observing the smaller animals in the tank and doing basic research.

The diatoms are a natural part of a new tank, so just go slow (i.e. no more livestock additions). In the meantime, try observing the smaller animals in the tank and doing basic research.

Just make sure you keep up with your water changes through the cycle and the diatoms will go away themself as the tank has a chance to balance out. I would personaly prevent from adding any more items for a little while to let the tank have a chance to settle. Great to see you here everyone seems to be great on this site so i'm sure you will have a blast. So far the tank looks great just be paitent and it will all pay off.

Just make sure you keep up with your water changes through the cycle and the diatoms will go away themself as the tank has a chance to balance out. I would personaly prevent from adding any more items for a little while to let the tank have a chance to settle. Great to see you here everyone seems to be great on this site so i'm sure you will have a blast. So far the tank looks great just be paitent and it will all pay off.

Question... how often do think i should do water changes? Also, how much?

Question... how often do think i should do water changes? Also, how much?

since you added fish pretty fast, i would do about 20% weekly for a couple months. then you can slow it down and start doing 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly

Welcome to the forum, and the hobby Dexter! You won't find a better place for advice. Don't worry too much about those diatoms yet, I know they're ugly but they will clear up eventually.

IMO... you need to let nature take its course and let the tank "Cycle". It is a natural process and doing water changes will only make it last longer.

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=17

There is no magic cycle additive so dont waste your time or money.

The high levels will pass in time and then you can start adding livestock. This will start with a clean up crew.

You should have not added the fish so early. I hope he will survive the cycle.

Just take it slow or you will be selling all of your equipment in a few months because you cant keep anything alive for long.

Emily's Nano Reef

:welcome: To N-R.com and the super cool hobby of saltwater reefing. Like everyone else has said the fish went in way too soon. We have 67 gal worth of reef tanks and our general rule is Do research look everywhere you can, books, online, and other reefers. If you find the same info in 3 or more places then it is good info. Do a little checking I'm sure there is a reefing club in your area, they are great sorces of information and can direct you to local "Frag Swaps" :D

Great to see that you don't let life's road blocks stop you from reaching the sea.

since you added fish pretty fast, i would do about 20% weekly for a couple months. then you can slow it down and start doing 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly

I am not really sure if weekly 20% WC is actually going help our nano tank. Until your tank is become stable, and your 10% WC becomes scheduled, I would rather watch the water parameter very carefully and do the WC accordingly.

If I were you, I will do regular 10% WC every week. Make sure you do have the premixed water ready and get the temperature same as your tank before you add new water. Then if you see unusual water condition detected from your test, I would do emergency 20% WC.

So get yourself big bucket and mix the salt with it. And put the heater on so it matches your tank temp.

Worst thing you can do to your tank, especially a nano tank, you can't suddently change anything. It will introduce more problem. Slow it down, and set the schedule and don't be lazy. That's how my tank crashed first time when I start to become lazy and not follow my schedule.

Archived