Innovative Marine Aquariums

Running a fishtank without any arms or legs

dexter1080

Surely the maroon clown will annihalate the false perc as soon as it grows up a little?

Yeah. That maroon clown fish is very territorial. I'm planning on trading it for another orange clown. It's too bad but will definitely do better in the tank.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That BTA is stretching for the light. You don't have sufficient lighting for a nem plus you system isn't stable enough yet. It would be best to take it back and get something more suitable for your tank...

Don't mean to sound negative but it almost always ends in the death of the nem :(

Now the Rose Bubble seems to be doing just fine. It's grown to be about four times the size as it was when I brought it home. My tank has been up for a couple of months now and it seems to be doing pretty good. I know I might have put it in a little too early, but boy it sure seems like it's doing fairly well. I'm definitely keeping my eye on it just in case though. if there are any problems I'm going to bring it back. So, I'm going to wait a few weeks and see what happens. We'll see. It might have been a good lesson, but for now it sure is doing pretty good!

It doesn't look like it is doing fine. It is stretching for the light which shows that it is far from happy...

I have 5 bubble tip nems about 4 inches below 180w VHO. They all grew and split from one sickly completely bleached nem that my mother purchased because she felt sorry for it. I told her that it would probably die, but since she paid only $10 for it . . .

I have not found stretching toward light to mean much overall.

Now 10 years later, the nems are thriving . . .

My suggestions on keeping anemone.

1) Strong direct light, the stock biocube lighting is NOT enough IMHO. VHO or strong PC/T5 is a must if you don't have MH. I don't know about LED's yet.

2) LOTS of water movement.

3) LOTS of feeding directly to the nems, this creates a huge problem with waste in the water.

4) You MUST protect the anemone from water intakes, or you will loose the anemone and possibly crash the tank.

5) Clown fish seem to be more of a parasite than a symbiotic host, but overall don't make much difference in how the nems seem to do.

6) They do best in tank that have been running for 1 year and more, although they should do okay in slightly newer tanks depinding on other factors.

I will try to post some pics . . .

Sorry I haven't been keeping pictures up very well. I'm going to try and do it little more often. The one problem I have is I can't seem to get good photos. We tried a ton of different ways to take them but I can't seem to get any good and clear ones yet.

CIMG8330-3.jpg

CIMG8336-2.jpg

CIMG8340-2.jpg

CIMG8396-1.jpg

CIMG8397-1.jpg

CIMG8399-1.jpg

CIMG8402-1.jpg

That nem looks fairly healthy to me, don't forget to feed the anemone. Don't depend on the clown fish to feed its host.

You can see my mother, who inherited my tank when I left for college 10 years ago and did not want to tear it down, is good at two things . . .

1) Growing nems

2) Growing hair algae

post-19115-1223827525_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look like it is doing fine. It is stretching for the light which shows that it is far from happy...

Haha... I heard stretching is good for your health. Maybe he is doing his daily yoga. LOL

So I thought I would post up some pictures just so just so everybody could see who I was. The profile only lets me post one picture. Which is too bad. Let me know what you think.

Enjoy!!!

CIMG8865_2.jpg

DSC02629.jpg

CIMG5335.jpg

5976_506496536927_220600594_3057988.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

CIMG8914.jpg

090425-Sounders_0271.jpg

CIMG8159.jpg

CIMG0897.jpg

CIMG0902.jpg

CIMG0915.jpg

Well it's been about a couple of months and everything seems to be going pretty good. Everything I have is growing and seems to be pretty happy. But... today, I had my first death. My cleaner shrimp died. I'm so bummed because It was my favorite thing to look at in the tank. So bummed. My params are all good and it's been doing fine for quite some while but what you know? He didn't make it. He even shed his skin last week. I'm not sure what it is but that's too bad.

TheUnfocusedOne

hmm

i had the same thing happen to me

i loved my cleaner shrimp, they are insanely interesting

turned out my heater was up to high and i actually kinda cooked him along with a few other things in my tank

i woke up to him getting devoured by my emerald crab

that emerald crab got what was coming to him though

mantis feast... heh heh heh....

If you want me to add you to my e-mail list please give it to me and I'll be glad to add you on. Shoot me an email or pm me.

brendonm@me.com

Thanks for all the continuous support

Okay, so tomorrow night I'm going to going to my local reef store to do a couple of things...

1) Donate my Maroon Clown Fish to them.Boy, that nasty little bugger gets protective and he definitely lets the other clown fish know it. He will not let the other clown go anywhere near his anemone. I'm surprised he hasn't set up an electric fence around it just to make sure it never gets even near his home.

2) I am pulling out the live rock that I put in chamber two and I am switching over to chemi-pur or purigen.

What do you think? Do you like it? Do you get good results? I would love to hear what you thought.

Also... does it matter what kind of filter floss that I get to put on top? Do I need anything in particular?

This would all be great info for, so if anyone has or done this before, please let me know what you thought isand if you had great results.

Make sure the filterfloss is either made for fish tanks or make sure you get the pillow stuffing w/o flam retardents or other chemicals... I think its polyester filling or something

Make sure the filterfloss is either made for fish tanks or make sure you get the pillow stuffing w/o flam retardents or other chemicals... I think its polyester filling or something

Good to know, thank you. I'll definitely look for that.

One more question. How much Chemipure and Purigen do you think I should add?

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few new photos that we just took.

Boy, the coral seems to be growing so fast I can't believe it!

CIMG8442.jpg

CIMG8426.jpg

My new employee. A great hire. He is munching away at all the junk in the sand.

CIMG8423.jpg

I love cleaner shrimp.

CIMG8427.jpg

Full tank shot.

CIMG8440.jpg

Looking for a new home.

CIMG8453.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So today I received a small packaged in the mail.

Steve from www.shop.mediabaskets.com sent a nice little gift in the mail pre-Christmas.

I'm excited to get it to the back of the tank and try it out.

Go check out www.shop.mediabaskets.com to see what it is for yourself.

So today I received a small packaged in the mail.

Steve from www.shop.mediabaskets.com sent a nice little gift in the mail pre-Christmas.

I'm excited to get it to the back of the tank and try it out.

Go check out www.shop.mediabaskets.com to see what it is for yourself.

Thanks for telling me about this website, interesting stuff. What did you buy and how is it working?

Like others have said your story is truly inspirational. I'm glad to see you haven't given up hope on life like I'm sure a lot of us would have if we've gone through similar situations. It seems like you have a lot of kind hearted people around you, something many of us lack.

As for the tank, it's looking good and I'm glad you're learning from your mistakes. It's good to see you're going to be giving up the maroon for a more docile animal.

Btw, awesome car man.

• 5 weeks later...

I am so sad today. I lost my entire tank last night because I added too much salt when I did a water change.

Everything is gone! I'm so bummed.

:(

Oh my :eek:

eek!!!! Test the water before you add it.

Never add salt directly to the tank.

It's going to take time to get back on your feet.

Best of luck.

Archived