Coral Vue Hydros

The Officially Unofficial Tank Contest

Weetabix7

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there a volume restriction?

You can't plumb your contest tank into already existing tanks or refugiums.

Other than that do whatcha want as long as you count refugium and plumbing supplies in the budget. Refugium tanks aren't "free", like the contest tank is.

Awesome, I'll PM you soon.

What size tank you wanna do?

I know you can get stuff for wholesale prices (right?), but you checked out my addendum A on pricing things, right?

oh yeah, 10 gallon. and i did see addendum a, and have no problem whatsoever with it. a lot of times i've seen things sold on here for at or below even wholesale prices, so it may actually be in my favor lol. a lot of the corals that go into this tank will be frags from my existing tanks anyway.

oh, and i've already run into an equipment price question: the 50w visi-stealth heater i picked up cost me 16.25 wholesale, but marine depot has them for 15.29. which price would you want me to use?

PS: weetie i got your pm, and will send the payment ASAP. i would send it now, but my bank account is low and wachovia is hiding my available balance from me with some maintenance bs, so i'll wait till midnight to avoid an overdraft.

oh yeah, 10 gallon. and i did see addendum a, and have no problem whatsoever with it. a lot of times i've seen things sold on here for at or below even wholesale prices, so it may actually be in my favor lol. a lot of the corals that go into this tank will be frags from my existing tanks anyway.

oh, and i've already run into an equipment price question: the 50w visi-stealth heater i picked up cost me 16.25 wholesale, but marine depot has them for 15.29. which price would you want me to use?

PS: weetie i got your pm, and will send the payment ASAP. i would send it now, but my bank account is low and wachovia is hiding my available balance from me with some maintenance bs, so i'll wait till midnight to avoid an overdraft.

Midnight tonight is fine on the Paypal.

That's an interesting question on the heater. Just go by the wholesale price you paid for it, I guess.

FOR EVERYONE ELSE:

I still need to have the PayPal entry fee from several people, and there are still a few people who need to start their tank thread as well. Please be sure to take care of that by midnight EST on Wed, 9/17 if you want to be a part of the contest.

There are a few people that I've talked to who have delays of just a few days due to things like Hurricane Ike. I'm not talking about you guys.

Everyone else: GIT R DONE!!!

Midnight tonight is fine on the Paypal.

That's an interesting question on the heater. Just go by the wholesale price you paid for it, I guess.

awesome. will do.

Anything under $15 is free correct?

I have a used 50 stealth heater that is $15.29 new, $11.47 when the used rule is applied. Is it free or would I use $11.47?

Anything under $15 is free correct?

I have a used 50 stealth heater that is $15.29 new, $11.47 when the used rule is applied. Is it free or would I use $11.47?

the rule states "accessories under $15" are free, with a list including thermometers, glass cleaners, etc. I personally don't consider a heater to be an accessory, so I would say $11.47. We'll wait for a ruling for K or Weet, but I imagine they'll say the same.

Ah, accessories >_< Heater isn't one of those m(_ _)m

A maxi-jet 400 used in my SOB fuge probably isn't one either.

(ノ^_^)ノ

:huh: Lalani...I need a translation!!

Addendum A.1 (weetie please add to main post)

If you purchase something at a steal of a deal from a N-R.com sponsor you do not have to deal with 'fair market value' etc. Example: Mr. Coral regularly has 50% off or buy one get one specials that are available to greater N-R.com members, so if you pay $10 and get 2 pieces that normally would cost $20, you only pay the $10. This is in hopes that some sponsors will want to have specials aimed specifically at this unofficial contest

Addendum A.1 (weetie please add to main post)

If you purchase something at a steal of a deal from a N-R.com sponsor you do not have to deal with 'fair market value' etc. Example: Mr. Coral regularly has 50% off or buy one get one specials that are available to greater N-R.com members, so if you pay $10 and get 2 pieces that normally would cost $20, you only pay the $10. This is in hopes that some sponsors will want to have specials aimed specifically at this unofficial contest

I don't mind adding it, but wouldn't this be covered under the last item of Addendum A?

Also, after talking it over, Kmitch and I have decided that any equipment or supplies under $15 are free. You just need to be able to back up your claim that you paid less than $15 for it.

This doesn't count for livestock! All livestock, regardless of price must be deducted from the budget. Except for LR of course.

SEIRYOKU TAKE NOTE!! ^^^

Note taken!

Still have a question though.

The maxi-jet sells for under $15 new, so it is free for sure. The heater sells for $15.29 new, but I'm using an old used one. With the 75% rule it is under $15, so is it free or does the new price have to be used when deciding on something being free or not? (even if it is used)

(・_・?)

I don't mind adding it, but wouldn't this be covered under the last item of Addendum A?

Also, after talking it over, Kmitch and I have decided that any equipment or supplies under $15 are free. You just need to be able to back up your claim that you paid less than $15 for it.

This doesn't count for livestock! All livestock, regardless of price must be deducted from the budget. Except for LR of course.

SEIRYOKU TAKE NOTE!! ^^^

TY for clarifying Weet :)

Note taken!

Still have a question though.

The maxi-jet sells for under $15 new, so it is free for sure. The heater sells for $15.29 new, but I'm using an old used one. With the 75% rule it is under $15, so is it free or does the new price have to be used when deciding on something being free or not? (even if it is used)

(・_・?)

I think Weetie would agree that if its final value is less than $15 its free.

This $15 rule is to allow folks to buy the equipment that makes reef keeping enjoyable without having to deduct it from the budget-- things like a thermometer, glass cleaners, hydrometer, etc, etc, etc. Its not designed so you can wheel and deal and cut corners to get stuff under $15. (not implying anyone is doing that)

In my mind I think your lighting, filteration (depending what you use), and livestock will be the bulk of most people's budgets and that is the goal since those three things all directly influence each other more than the kind of heater you have in there. We want people to get creative and demonstrate their ability to build a beautiful reef on a limited budget so that those people who say "I can't afford it" on here can see tons of examples of how easy it can be to afford this hobby if you plan well.

Archived