Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Officially Unofficial Tank Contest

Weetabix7

Woohoo! The original 10 gallon contest is what made me realize I could build my own reef! I just learned about this today, so sorry for the late response. Please count me in, and PM me the address to send you my entry fee.

FYI, just today I started piecing together a 2.5g for the heck of it (out of spare parts) - so I'll refocuse my efforts on a 5.5. Please add me to the 5.5 thread!

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a quick question before bed about valuing coral o_o

I acquired some smallish colonies, way too large to be called frags, a while ago and was going to frag them a little to use some in my contest tank. I paid ~$15 per "colony". They were mostly zoanthids, but there were two rocks loaded with mushrooms, 8+ per rock. Have never tried to count the zoanthids, but there are probably 30-50 polyps per rock easily.

I can prove what I paid if the eBay auction is still accessible. Would I value them at what I ended up paying per polyp (that I use in the contest tank)? Or do we have to use some sort of "going rate" price for them?

this is the biggest problem with having a budget requirement in regards to corals. i can get huge colonies of zoanthids from the pet store i used to work at for cost, which is usually 10-15 dollars, but it will still be calculated according to market value for this contest?? and what if people buy PPE or Nuc Greens but say they got a great deal? I have seen prices for both vary from <$10/polyp when sold as a colony to >$25/polyp when sold by the polyp. and what about freebie frags that some people throw in when purchasing large amounts of coral??

i think this part of the contest may create some trouble...

I have a quick question before bed about valuing coral o_o

I acquired some smallish colonies, way too large to be called frags, a while ago and was going to frag them a little to use some in my contest tank. I paid ~$15 per "colony". They were mostly zoanthids, but there were two rocks loaded with mushrooms, 8+ per rock. Have never tried to count the zoanthids, but there are probably 30-50 polyps per rock easily.

I can prove what I paid if the eBay auction is still accessible. Would I value them at what I ended up paying per polyp (that I use in the contest tank)? Or do we have to use some sort of "going rate" price for them?

Well, it depends.

Have they grown/multiplied since you got them?

Check and see if you can access the original listing you got them from.

this is the biggest problem with having a budget requirement in regards to corals. i can get huge colonies of zoanthids from the pet store i used to work at for cost, which is usually 10-15 dollars, but it will still be calculated according to market value for this contest?? and what if people buy PPE or Nuc Greens but say they got a great deal? I have seen prices for both vary from <$10/polyp when sold as a colony to >$25/polyp when sold by the polyp. and what about freebie frags that some people throw in when purchasing large amounts of coral??

i think this part of the contest may create some trouble...

I agree that there will be some difficulty in this area, but I will help in figuring prices as issues come up.

In regards to the zoa colonies you can get at cost, we will do the same thing as for other people who are able to get supplies at cost-- they will be valued at market value. I've sold plenty of zoa frags and can help with this.

In regards to your second question, if people get a great deal on a frag of something, they can deduct it from the budget at the price they paid as long as they can provide proof of what they paid.

As for freebie frags that are thrown in, they will be calculated at market value as well.

No livestock will be considered "free" in this contest.

What about if every time someone adds some type of coral/live stock to their tank they post a picture of it here or on their tank thread and you (weetabix) put a price on it. Or everyone here debates the price and come to a conclusion price.

Or they post a picture of the receipt to prove their price.

In regards to the zoa colonies you can get at cost, we will do the same thing as for other people who are able to get supplies at cost-- they will be valued at market value. I've sold plenty of zoa frags and can help with this.

In regards to your second question, if people get a great deal on a frag of something, they can deduct it from the budget at the price they paid as long as they can provide proof of what they paid.

so, if i get corals at cost, ill be charged more than people who got a "great deal" on frags, as long as they have proof?

i just don't really know what "market value" means... as previously mentioned - what is market value for nuclear greens right now? what about 6 months from now?

sorry, i dont mean to be a party pooper, im just trying to avoid future issues, because i already know that i can get corals cheaper than most people and can even get receipts if that will be an issue. i just would like things to be fair, and this system seems to make it difficult.

Damn. I have a 4 gallon Finnex sitting empty, but it's not a 5.5 or 10, so I guess I'm out. Unless I go buy a 10g tank today ;)

They only cost $12, I say do it!

so, if i get corals at cost, ill be charged more than people who got a "great deal" on frags, as long as they have proof?

i just don't really know what "market value" means... as previously mentioned - what is market value for nuclear greens right now? what about 6 months from now?

sorry, i dont mean to be a party pooper, im just trying to avoid future issues, because i already know that i can get corals cheaper than most people and can even get receipts if that will be an issue. i just would like things to be fair, and this system seems to make it difficult.

Define "fair".

I'll tell you right now that not everyone will define that in the same way, as far as this contest goes.

Too much disagreement is one of the things that kept the original official contest from happening.

I have a lot of things that I got for free or through trades that will go in my contest tank.

Is it fair to me to deduct a price for them from the budget?

Is it fair to everyone else if I don't?

FYI, I WILL be deducting a price for them from the budget. I will go by either what I myself would sell them for or what they are commonly sold for.

I will see if I can come up with a more tightly defined way of figuring "cost" on items like this by tonight.

Define "fair".

I'll tell you right now that not everyone will define that in the same way, as far as this contest goes.

Too much disagreement is one of the things that kept the original official contest from happening.

I have a lot of things that I got for free or through trades that will go in my contest tank.

Is it fair to me to deduct a price for them from the budget?

Is it fair to everyone else if I don't?

FYI, I WILL be deducting a price for them from the budget. I will go by either what I myself would sell them for or what they are commonly sold for.

I will see if I can come up with a more tightly defined way of figuring "cost" on items like this by tonight.

eh, you're right. i guess we should just keep the contest fun and easygoing with less disagreements and more corals? :lol:

ill just scan my receipts in for the corals i buy from the store to avoid any problems... its not like im going to win the contest so i guess theres nothing for me to gripe about hehe.

Yep me too..whatever I don't use from my other tanks I will take a pic of the receipt :D altho I live in FL. and some stuff like ricordia florida go for about $10 - $15 dollars a mouth compared to some crazy prices I have seen on line..I am in it for the fun too

THIS WAS ADDED BY WEETIE....PLEASE TAKE NOTE!!

ADDENDUM A:

Calculating "cost" for livestock that was free, rec'd in trade, or purchased at wholesale prices, etc.

-Items rec'd free-- an amount will be deducted from your budget equivalent to what that livestock would commonly be sold for in Livestock Classified Forum of NR.com. Please PM me a pic, along with common name, and I will give you a "price". I have sold and bought quite a bit on the NR Classified Forum over the last two years, and I think I have a pretty good feel for what stuff sells for on here.

If you don't feel this is satisfactory, you would probably be better off not competing in this contest.

-Items rec'd in trade- Same as above.

-Items purchased at wholesale prices-Same as above.

-Items on which you scored a good deal- If you can provide proof of the price you got, cost will be figured at the actual price you paid. If it was a transaction w/a private individual, have them hand-write you a receipt, scan it, and post it on your thread.

As stated earlier in this post, we want to keep this contest a positive and enjoyable experience for everyone, so IF YOU DON'T THINK YOU CAN COMFORTABLY PARTICIPATE UNDER THE ESTABLISHED GUIDELINES, THEN YOUR TIME AND $$ IS PROBABLY BEST SPENT ON A TANK THAT YOU WILL ENJOY AND KEEP IN THE LONG RUN.

^^^Wow, he's quick!

I added the above referenced addendum to the first post on this thread, to address the concerns noted today about figuring prices for corals/livestock.

^^^Wow, he's quick!

I added the above referenced addendum to the first post on this thread, to address the concerns noted today about figuring prices for corals/livestock.

too much caffeine today :D

omgomgomg omgomgomg

i want to join but i just spent my money on a vortech and corals at macna

ill look around and see if i can find some stuff but highly doubtful

well, cant wait to see everyones tanks

i was actually thinking about using 3 current led powerbrite units over a 5.5

just thought i would throw that out there for anyone wanting something different

good luck everyone!

i want to join but i just spent my money on a vortech and corals at macna

ill look around and see if i can find some stuff but highly doubtful

well, cant wait to see everyones tanks

i was actually thinking about using 3 current led powerbrite units over a 5.5

just thought i would throw that out there for anyone wanting something different

good luck everyone!

those lights are pretty cool, but how much are they? LEDs are usually pretty expensive.

Question regarding rules. I'm in on the 5.5 contest. Can we use an external filter, or refugium (hang on back, or standard? If so, what's the max external volume?

Thanks!

Johnny

Question regarding rules. I'm in on the 5.5 contest. Can we use an external filter, or refugium (hang on back, or standard?

Thanks!

Johnny

yes to all

Reading through this I was going to suggest the "Let Weetie make the call" rule that it appears Addendum A is :P

This looks like it's going to be an awesome contest. I almost wish I hadn't started my tank until now. It's ok, though, because there are still some things I'd like to do to my tank, and now I don't have to worry about meeting a cost! Good luck everyone!

Ok i'm in. i get my paycheck electronically deposited at midnight tuesday, so pm me with a paypal account and i'll pay at 12:01 am :)

i've got the tank, rock, sand, pump, heater, thermo. this is gonna be simple and hopefully sweet.

Ok i'm in. i get my paycheck electronically deposited at midnight tuesday, so pm me with a paypal account and i'll pay at 12:01 am :)

i've got the tank, rock, sand, pump, heater, thermo. this is gonna be simple and hopefully sweet.

Awesome, I'll PM you soon.

What size tank you wanna do?

I know you can get stuff for wholesale prices (right?), but you checked out my addendum A on pricing things, right?

I dont know if this has already been addressed, but what is the stance on DIYing? As long as I start with an intact AGA 5.5, am I OK? I was thinking of doing a corner overflow (AIO Style) if it's allowed...

I dont know if this has already been addressed, but what is the stance on DIYing? As long as I start with an intact AGA 5.5, am I OK? I was thinking of doing a corner overflow (AIO Style) if it's allowed...

you can do whatever you want with it, as long as it starts as a whole AGA 5.5g. Any additional bought parts (new tanks, premade overflows, etc.) must come out of the budget. Scrap acrylic, epoxy, pvc don't come out of the budget.

Archived