Cultivated Reef

RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

hb2envy

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey Ryan, Are a member of BAR?

NOPE, but I was thinking of joining NCNRS - Why are you a member of BAR?

So today I went to hangout with one of my good friends which he owed me $20 and decided to buy me a $30 coral since there was a fish store, Lucky Gold Fish in Oakland, CA near his house. So I got somewhat of a neon green birdsnest frag and added it to my tank on 2-18-09.

Wow RyanB. That topdown is really cool. I'm so jealous lol

"JEALOUS"? Mannnn...you're Elos is HOT...I just can't wait to see when you stock it with coral! hehehe! Keep us posted!

For another update....I fed my fishes on Thursday and Saturday and did not notice my Red Scooter Dragonet hovering around the rocks anymore. I also noticed that I didn't have as much copepods and amphipods on the glass walls or insight for the pass two weeks. I had that fish surviving in my tank for at least 6 months. So now I'm down to 8 fishes which I know is still too much for my RSM.

Anyhow, the green birdsnest coral that my friend got for me kind of got stung a little by one of torch corals. My girlfriend didn't like the birdnest coral too much so on 2-21-09, she bought me a different green birdsnest coral at Atlantis Aquarium. The guy that fragged it for us was not sure if it was ORA or not - and I still have to find a place where to mount it in my tank so that it won't get stung by anything else. On 2-22-09, she also got me a Rainbow Montipora from that same store in Oakland, CA called "Lucky Goldfish" which still needs to color up with my ligthing. I will try to take pictures this week if all or most corals open up.

Suck to hear about you missing Scooter Blenny, I used to have one when I was a noobie and it died. Well, hope you find him alive, well worst find his corpse so you don't have suffer wondering where. Wish you best.

turn on your phone

turn on your phone

turn on your phone

turn on your phone

turn on your phone

turn on your phone

I think you should turn on your phone :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay everybody...so my RSM is now 11 months old. On 2-27-09, me and my buddy went halfs on a Mystic Sunset Montipora that might be LE and left it in his tank until it colors up. He has a 400w MH which should definitely do the job. That Mystic Sunset Montipora has a white slit on every bluish/purple polyp. We also went halfs on an uncommon Blue Xenia that pulses which is also in my buddy's tank so that it can grow to a better size. I also have been patiently waiting for this one coral which I currently added to my tank on 2-29-09 is an ORA BOP - Birds of Paradise which I know will do fine in my tank. I am slowly acclimating it to my lights while I find a spot for it in my crowded tank - haha.

On 3-2-09, I traded a frag of my LE Tyree Pink Polyp Cap to that same buddy of mines which he exchanged with a frag of a Montipora Aequituberculata and a Montipora Verrucosa. I already found spots in my tank for all of those new corals, but will "DEFINITELY" take NEW pictures as soon as I find a spot for my ORA BOP. I wanna show coral growth on some of my Monti's!!!

Another update:

On 3-5-09, I did a 6 gallon water change, added new; Chemi-Pure Elite, Seachem Purigen, filter floss, and cleaned all power heads and skimmer. I also started to dose Seachem Magnesium every Tuesday and Saturday which is the same day I dose Seachem Marin Buffer, but I dose them at separate times of course! I also tested my water which all of my parameters check out fine with Nitrates still at 20ppm. I’m actually planning on doing a 10-12 gallon water change this Thursday, 3-12-09 to help reduce the Nitrates for all corals and a lot of my new SPS goodies since my 1 year anniversary will be coming up for my for RSM on 3-30-09 – Yay!

Moving on to tank shots:

FTS as of 3-9-09

FTS3-9-09.jpg

TTS as of 3-9-09

TTS3-9-09.jpg

BTS as of 3-7-09

BTS3-7-09.jpg

Here are some of my older corals with coral growth (I have others but did not post pictures of all):

Montipora Spongodes and Orange Cap

1-MontiporaSpongodesandOrangeCap.jpg

Thin Branch Pink Birdsnest

2-ThinBranchPinkBirdsnest.jpg

Purple Polyp Birdsnest

3-TubsPurplePolypBirdsnest.jpg

Original Atlantis Meteor Shower Cyphastrea Ocellina with Tubs Blue, Amor of God, and PPE

4-OriginalAtlantisMeteorShowerCypha.jpg

Original Superman

5-OriginalSuperman.jpg

Undata

6-Undata.jpg

Okay…so ever since 1-29-09, I mentioned that I added a lot of new SPS corals in the month of February and

March, well here they are:

Tyree LE Baby Blue Polyp Flower Petal Monti Cap

1-TyreeLEBabyBluePolypFlowerPetalMo.jpg

Reverse Pokerstar

2-ReversePokerstar.jpg

ATL Fire Polyp Porites

3-ATLFirePolypPorites.jpg

The Infamous Frag Farmer Montipora Setosa

4-TheInfamousFragFarmerMontiporaSet.jpg

Tyree LE Sunset (This is the coral I chose with the $100’s that I won from January’s TOTM contest for Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas, CA.

5-TyreeLESunset.jpg

Eric's Chille Pepper Montipora

6-EricsChillePepperMontipora.jpg

Green Pavona

7-GreenPavona.jpg

Neon Green Polyp Montipora – the LFS said this is a different type of Sunset?

8-NeonGreenPolypMontipora.jpg

Rainbow Montipora This is the coral that my lady got for me at Lucky Goldfish in Oakland, CA. Thanks mama!

9-RainbowMontipora.jpg

Green Birdsnest

10-GreenBirdsnest.jpg

ORA BOP - Birds of Paradise And thanks for helping me get this Wonderful ORA coral as well mama!

11-ORABirdsofParadise.jpg

Montipora Aequituberculata - possibly a Confusa

12-MontiporaAequituberculata.jpg

Montipora Verrucosa

13-MontiporaVerrucosa.jpg

For the next three corals, I added them to my tank on 3-8-09 and got these rare SPS from "www.reefexotic.net":

Billy's Ultimate Undata This one is badass - green encrusting with purple rim and red polyps.

14-BillysUltimateUndata.jpg

Purple Shamrock Montipora This one is pretty dope and is a gift from my lady! Thanks Hunnie!

15-PurpleShamrockMontipora.jpg

Rainbow Effelio Look at the green, orange, brown, and purple - it's RAINBOW and it's HOT!

16-RainbowEffelio.jpg

I’ll take a few new pictures of my SPS corals together in groups and in sections and will try to post them later tonight.

Nice hb2envy! Your tank is crazy! I'm going crazy as well looking at your FTS!!! :P

Think your fishes will get lost among those corals!!! :lol:

Nice hb2envy! Your tank is crazy! I'm going crazy as well looking at your FTS!!! :P

Think your fishes will get lost among those corals!!! :lol:

Thanks j'field, and yeah.....I'm always seeing my six line wrasse constantly going in and out of every crevis of my frags towards the top of my tank as well as the other fishes being SUPER curious with all of my rock and frag work up top - hahaha!

The only other flaws that I can think of with my tank is that my Pink Pocillopora that I had a long time ago (it browned out due to where I mounted it) got stung by the green hammer next to it - so I used it to mount a piece of live rock to place my ORA BOP - Birds of Paradise. Also, another flaw is that my green bubble to the right side of my tank isn't opening as much possibly due to my Short Tentacle Pink Plate coral always inflating up at night which I believe is the cause. Plate corals are known to move, which I've definitely witnessed when it inflates at night.

You have a lot of corals in there. How do you keep up the addictives?

"Addictives" meaning "Addiction" of coral collecting"

or

"Additives" meaning Supplements???

yup. So how do you keep up with it?

Well it's all in my maintence list in my thread, but to remind everyone pretty much this is it -

-B-Ionic 1 & 2 everyday at 7AM

-1 & 1/2 drips of Lugols Iodine every Monday morning at 12AM

-1 & 1/2 teaspoon of Seachem Marine Buffer as well as Seachem Magnesium every Tuesday and Saturday morning at 12AM

-1 & 3/4 capful of Seachem Reef Plus as well as Seachem Strontium every Wednesday and Sunday Morning at 12AM.

And of course, a 6 gallon salt water change with either Seachem salt or Ocean water every Thursday night.

It kind of sounds like a big deal to do this every week, but it actually works out just fine with my schedule...and if worst comes to worst....I already showed my brother, Roy, your friend how to dose in case I miss it! hehe!

I don't think it's a big deal, I think that's being loyal to your tank. You use the buffer as for top off right?

No doubt man...Loyal FOR SURE!!! But yeah...I use the buffer for top off as well as just to keep the PH at 8.3!

Holy crap man those new tank shots are the shiznit. wannnttt fraaggss haha

Right on man.....maybe it should be more like the old saying of "Got Milk" as suppose to "GOT FRAGS" hahahaha!!!

• Christopher Marks changed the title to RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

Archived