Top Shelf Aquatics

RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

hb2envy

i didnt know you were local (i seen your add for the reef crystals on CL)

ahahah

anyways looking good maybe we can swap frags sometime after i get my RSM up and running

Hahahaha - yep...I'm local alright. And some guy from San Francisco is going to pick it up from me tomorrow. But yeah....totally bro..I'm definitely down for swapping frags after you cycle your RSM.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice tank!

Thanks man....and I actually liked the article on asthma! I have asthma as well and would love to exercise/dance more often...I'll look into taking more vitamin B & C.

I guess I'm the same as burtbollinger. Your tank is amazing to look at, but I can't stomach how much livestock, both fish and coral, you have put since August. Maybe you should check with yardboy, who is keeping gorgonians. A large refugium/sump would be extremely helpful in dealing with your huge bioload.

I guess I'm the same as burtbollinger. Your tank is amazing to look at, but I can't stomach how much livestock, both fish and coral, you have put since August. Maybe you should check with yardboy, who is keeping gorgonians. A large refugium/sump would be extremely helpful in dealing with your huge bioload.

Right on..and I'm actually going to start looking into getting that sump setup after the holidays...it's a MUST!!! So I have the sump and a battery backup on my "TO DO" list!

So I just fed my fishes on Tuesday night and Thursday, last night and found out for sure that my Catalina Goby finally passed away. It died possibly because of the cold water temperature issue or becuase I still have remnants of ich in my tank. But yeah.......Kraylen and everyone else was definitely right about it going die out of the blue. I actually had it live in my tank for 3 months and 1 week. But for the update - I now have a total of 10 fishes now - NO MORE 12 fishes!!!

• 1 month later...
So I just fed my fishes on Tuesday night and Thursday, last night and found out for sure that my Catalina Goby finally passed away. It died possibly because of the cold water temperature issue or becuase I still have remnants of ich in my tank. But yeah.......Kraylen and everyone else was definitely right about it going die out of the blue. I actually had it live in my tank for 3 months and 1 week. But for the update - I now have a total of 10 fishes now - NO MORE 12 fishes!!!

I thought catalina is a cold water piece that why I didnt want one for myself.

Second thought, I thought the enjoyment of this hobby is to watch everything grow in your tank, not overstocking ur tank for a momentary pleasure.

Just IMO

However, I do congratulate ur effort on keeping everything alive and maintaining this tank. Good luck with it, keep us posted.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought catalina is a cold water piece that why I didnt want one for myself.

Second thought, I thought the enjoyment of this hobby is to watch everything grow in your tank, not overstocking ur tank for a momentary pleasure.

Just IMO

However, I do congratulate ur effort on keeping everything alive and maintaining this tank. Good luck with it, keep us posted.

Yep...the Catalina Goby is a cold water fish which I just love the VIBRANT colors it has. Maybe one of these days I'll just have to setup a cold salt water tank just for these cool little fish!

As far as my tank being jammed packed with coral is not just a momentary pleasure for me, I mean as the coral grows and over crowds other coral, I will either just frag them to sell or to just have for another tank that I will start pretty soon. I do thank you for the kind comment and will definitely post up a report of what has being going on with my tank as well as new pics. It's almost been 2 months since I haven't updated my thread. Stay tuned pretty soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.........so it’s February 12, 2009 which my tank is now 10 months and 2 weeks old. I haven’t updated this thread in 2 months which it is due for one BIG one.

So on 11-27-2008, I put in new Chemi-Pure Elite carbon, new Seachem Purigen, and new filter floss. I also replaced my bulbs for the first time with the original Red Sea Max bulbs and definitely seen more of a brighter and bluer look in my display. I did see that the polyps started to stretch out more towards the lights. I also thought that my other pagoda coral right below the Hawaiian feather duster was dead, but noticed little yellow polyps coming right out. The only bad thing I noticed about changing my lights was that I started to see bad red macro algae and cyanobacteria growing all over my top live rocks. And in my Red Sea Max maintenance list on page 5 of this thread, I stated that as a treatment I would use ChemiClean Red Slime Remover every end of the month to reduce cyanobacteria. Well ever since October 9, 2008 to December 5, 2008, I have not seen any signs of cyanobacteria which I haven’t used the ChemiClean Red Slime Remover since early October 2008. Well it’s slightly back again and will not use that ChemiClean Red Slime Remover ever again due to my tank being pretty healthy. I don’t think the cyanobacteria is coming from my nitrates, but is coming from the new lights. Therefore, I just siphon up the cyanobacteria whenever I see it on my top live rocks. Since I’m already talking about my RSM maintenance list, the only things I’ve added/changed from the list are as follows (original RSM maintenance list on Page 5);

Supplements:

Seachem Reef Strontium

1 and a ½ capful every Wednesday and Sunday morning (the midnight before)

Water change:

Buy 6 gallons of salt water every Tuesday @ Aquatic Central and change it every Thursday night.

Buy R.O. water from Lucky’s whenever I’m empty as well as top off my tank whenever I can see the water level drop from the outside.

Treatments:

No more of using the ChemiClean Red Slime Remover unless it gets out of control!

Feeding:

Frozen brine (1 cube) every other day.

Cyclops (1 cube) - target feed all gorgonians, sea fans, and sea rods every other day.

Rotifiers (1 cube) - target feed all gorgonians, sea fans, and sea rods every other day.

NOTE – switch between Cyclops and Rotifiers every other day.

Reef Nutrion Phyto Feast “Live” - 20 drops on the left side near the power heads and 20 more drops on the right side of the Hydor Koralia 2 power head.

NOTE – turn off the skimmer before feeding and turn it back on in the morning (7PM-7AM).

Now, on the first week of December 2008, I have added:

-Pink Coco worm with live barnacles

-Electric Blue Anthelia which is starting to spread pretty fast (it is right next to my Pink Anthelia’s and in front of my Crocea clam)

I also noticed that my Orange Gorgonian with tiny white polyps started to grow a lot of algae and would not survive anymore. I also decided to utilize the upper part of my tank with more SPS coral now. Therefore, I had to add more live rock which I currently had 65 lbs. of LR. I forgot to add the Ricordea Skittles Rock back in October which was 1 lb. I also added 4 more pounds of LR to secure the new SPS corals. I had to move my Green Capricornis Montipora from the top of the tank to the middle of the tank so that I can make space for the new added live rock as well as move my Green Striped Mushrooms, Candy Canes, Orange Sponge, 2 of my Purple Gorgonians, and Modern Cynarina. So now I have a grand total of 70 lbs. of LR in a 34 gallon Red Sea Max Aquarium – NICE (hope it helps with sucking up my freaking nitrates).

Anyhow, on December 10, 2008, I added;

-1.5 inch green Bali slimmer that was dark green, but has colored up to the bright green color now and has been growing very fast!!!

A couple of days later, I noticed that my Australian Spider Sponge had very tiny worms living in it and was killing the sponge to the point where I had to remove the sponge from that area and place it somewhere else. I had to separate the sponge in 3 pieces and attached it to the new live rock on the bottom of my tank, but 2 of the long pieces came off the rock and went in my center cave – this sucks! I also started to notice that my fully bleached neon green spongodes/confusa has started to regain it’s color again which gave me a good sign to try out more SPS frags. I even noticed that my Blueberry Gorgonian started to have even less polyps, so my girlfriend ended up buying me a new one because she likes that color a lot – I had that Gorgonian for almost 5 ½ months.

So on December 21, 2008, I added:

-ORA Green Digitata Montipora

-Purple Digitata Montipora

-Purple base with Red Polyps encrusting Montipora

-Apple Berry/Verrucosa Danae

-Electric Orange/Red Pavona Maldivensis

-Pink Stylophora

-Brain/Maze Coral

-Yellow Sponge Ball

A couple of days later, I noticed that my Orange Digitata, Orange Capricornis, Purple Polyp Birdsnest, and original ATL Meteor Shower Cyphastrea corals started growing more which were GREAT signs.

And on December 27, 2008, I also added:

-Pokerstar Montipora

-Tyree LE ATL Pink Polyp Capricornis

-Tyree LE Ponape Birdsnest

-Another Neon Green Palau Nepthea because my first frag detached itself from the rock a while back.

-3 Amor of God Paly’s (which there are 4 now)

-2 Purple of Death Paly’s (which there are 3 now)

A couple of days later, I also noticed that my Idaho Grape, Green Porites, Thin Branch Pink Birdsnest, Tyree LE Ponape Birdsnest, Pokerstar Montipora, Purple base with Red Polyps encrusting Montipora, and Electric Orange/Red Pavona Maldivensis started to grow as well.

On January 7, 2009, I added:

-Neon Green Cloves again since my last one back in the summer of 2008 did not survive which required me to move my other Orange Sponge, and Pink Fungia/Short Tentacle Plate to the rear of the tank. I also had to move 4 of my different mushrooms in place of where the Orange Sponge used to stay which is behind the Blue Sponge.

On January 12, 2009, I also added:

-Pink Birdnest, Seriatopa (a very nice size for a great price)

A couple of days later, I noticed that my all Blue Gorgonian in the front of my tank (not my Blueberry Gorgonian) started to lose some polyps and grew algae over the tips. I’m almost certain that this gorgonian is not going to survive any longer. I also noticed that my Light Purple Gorgonian with dark purple polyps (the Gorgonian on the right side of my tank) started to grow algae and some macro algae around the tips. I even noticed that the same tiny little worms that were destroying my Aussie Spider Sponge where making webs in between the Purple Gorgonian and living in it as well. I always try to siphon or blow away those tiny little worms from that area and they tend to keep coming back, but not as much as before – I don’t know what these tiny creatures are called, but they do irritate or damage my corals in that area that for sure!!!

On January 17, 2009, I added:

-the original Superman Montipora

Anyhow, on January 21, 2009, I fragged my original ATL Meteor Shower Cyphastrea to my friend which he gave to me:

-Montipora Undata

-Forest Fire Montipora Digitata

-Acropora Loripes

-Green Deep water Acropora Suharsonoi

On February 2, 2009, I added:

-Frag Farmers Infamous Montipora Setosa (This is not in my current pics yet)

On February 5, 2009, a LFS gave me a free frag which I added:

-Green Capricornis Montipora with Blue Polyps (This is not in my current pics yet)

So I’ve already talked about all of the new maintenance and new corals added, but didn’t mention a few of the new invertebrates I added:

-12 very small blug leg hermit crabs

-3 Onyx Nassarius Snails

-a new Emerald Green Crab

So....1-30-09 is officially 10 months of my RSM. I checked my water parameters on February 5, 2009 and this is what it is:

Salinity = 1.023

Temp = 78°

PH = 8.2

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 20ppm

Calcium = 420

Phosphate = 0

KH = 10dkh/ 179ppm

On February 26 or March 5, 2009, I plan to put in new Chemi-Pure Elite carbon, new Seachem Purigen, new filter floss, and to clean the rear chambers of my RSM including the skimmer and along with a 13-14 gallon water change – pretty much remove all of the water in the rear chambers and to remove about 40% of the water in the main tank. It might shock the corals….but they should be fine! I just want to make sure that all of my parameters will check out fine by March 30, 2009, my RSM 1 year anniversary!

Anyhow, here are the pictures of my 10 month old mixed SPS, LPS, and Softies RSM as of 1-29-09. ENJOY and flame all you want because it's still going STRONG with 10 fish and without a sump - My once a week water change is what does the job for the mean time! But I will still look into getting that sump when I feel that I don't have much time to maintain the tank. As of now, I still have lots of time to maintain it and at the same time hangout with family, girlfriend, and friends!!!

FTS as of 1-29-09

1-FTS.jpg

RTS as of 1-29-09

2-RTS.jpg

LTS as of 1-29-09

3-LTS.jpg

TTS as of 1-29-09

4-TTS.jpg

New SPS corals

5-SPS.jpg

6-RSPS.jpg

7-EOP.jpg

8-PokerstarMontipora.jpg

9-ABorVMontipora.jpg

10-ThickBPB.jpg

Hey everybody.....so I normally go to this fish store in Milpitas, CA called "Aquatic Gallery" which is where I usually find all of my colorful coral. And on January 2009, they started their first "Tank of the month" contest where if you win, you will recieve a $100 gift card. Well, I submitted pictures of my tank and they FINALLY posted the Winner on 2-13-09. Well I just checked their website, http://www.aquatic-gallery.com/ not too long ago around 2:55AM and noticed that I won the "Tank of the month" contest of January 2009. I believe they said that the $100 credit is to be used ONLY on their online store, http://www.aquaticgallerylive.com/oscs/ - if so...I really got my eye on the Tyree LE Sunset Montipora, http://www.aquaticgallerylive.com/oscs/pro...products_id=135 and the Purple Polyp Montipora, http://www.aquaticgallerylive.com/oscs/pro...products_id=222

Which one should I get everybody? Or if there is something else on that site, which one would you get?

Anyhow....I would like to say THANKS to the staff of Aquatic Gallery for their honest and kind support in helping me with my first Salt Water Reef tank!!! Thanks to ALL of the Aquatic Gallery voters and Thanks a Million to Dr. Lee for choosing my 10 Month old 34 Gallon Red Sea Max as the final Winner!!!

Alright everybody...well on 2-14-09, I went to Aquatic Gallery in Milpitas, CA to use and redeem my $100 credit from winning their first TOTM contest for January 2009. I decided to pick up:

-Tyree LE Sunset Montipora

-Candy Apple/Chile Pepper/Sunrise Montipora - not sure which one, but I will ask the LFS

-Green Pavona

I will need to add a little more live rock so that I can place the corals where they can recieve the most light possible from the Red Sea Max stocks lights. I will post pictures when I add the live rock in the right places as well as move around some of my SPS corals.

Oh and BTW, on 2-13-09, I noticed that when I was feeding my fishes, my Sashi Goby was heavily breathing and not able to swim to well. Then I fed my fish again on 2-15-09 and didn't see my Sashi Goby come out for food, so I assume it either didn't make it or it's just hiding - if so...then that can lead to my 34 Gallon Red Sea Max to now only have 9 fishes. But I'll see what happens throughout the week to confirm this! If this is true, then it'll be a bitter sweet situation for my tank due to having too many fishes as well will help with the reduction of my Nitrates!

On 2-16-09, I added:

-Reverse Poker Star Montipora

-Purple base with Red/Orange polyp Porites

These corals were freshly cut at the LFS and kind of want to wait for them to either color back up and have their polyps open up before I snap and post pictures of them - I'll see. Anyhow, a lot of my SPS are WAAAAY at the top like not too far from them hitting air.

are the stock lights on that?

Yep and the're not turning brown possibly because I have them up HIGH!!!

Thanks for all comments!

So...I just fed my fishes about 4 hours ago and did not see my Sasha Goby anymore - therefore, I only have 9 fishes now. I also went to a LFS today, 2-17-09 where I purchased a white base with Neon Green/Yellow polyp Montipora for only $10.00. I asked what kind of montipora it is and he says it's a different kind of Sunset - hard to believe! Anyhow...I liked the neon green/yellow polyps which looks cool! But I will definitely take some pics when I see my girlfriend again this week since it's her camera.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

Archived