Innovative Marine Aquariums

RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

hb2envy

lilredneckman

I would get a good skimmer like the tunze 9002 if you don't already. Aslo you are going to have to let go of a few fish or just upgrade.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bro sorry but i gotta take over this post. lol

I finally got some life!

IMG_0759.jpg

Awwwwwww dayamn - your first coral - a SCROLL Coral it is! And it was FREE hahahaha!!! Nice fish as well BRO!!!

its easy to make a sump and fuge, but the money... the money is holding things off. haha

how do you make a fuge for the RSM it has no holes?

now i have built the fuge how do i get the water from the RSM to it???

That's what I'd like to know - can anyone on here help us RSM owners show us how to connect an overflow system or get any SUMP to work efficiently with an RSM???

so i am guessing that you would use a pump for suction and one for return, i would also say that you would require the return pump to be at a level in the fuge that if the suction pump fails it doesnt over fill the tank and the suction needs to be set in the RSM so is if the return fails it doesnt over flow the fuge.

I think that sounds right.

so i am guessing that you would use a pump for suction and one for return, i would also say that you would require the return pump to be at a level in the fuge that if the suction pump fails it doesnt over fill the tank and the suction needs to be set in the RSM so is if the return fails it doesnt over flow the fuge.

I think that sounds right.

How bout this for the overflow - scroll down to the one specifically made for the RSM - I just found this and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this?

http://www.lifereef.com/siphon.html

now thats what i have been searching for!!!!

cheers

I'm actually planning on buying that as well and then hook it up to a sump/refugium. But it looks to me that we will need to remove our stock skimmer? And in the sump/refugium - I think we can either still use the RSM skimmer or will have to buy a new skimmer? What plans do you have in mind SAMHAZ?

I am currently looking around for a good price on the tunze 9002 with stevet's upgrade and the media rack, i didnt have a close look yet as it was late last night when i got your email. so i will have a look tonight after work. but it looks like it will fit between the tunze skimmer and the heater chamber as the tunze is square.

it looks like to me that the red sea prefilter fits in the hole next to the tunze 9002 but it would be worth finding out what the dimensions are between the tunze and the heater box, i think it would be a better option to keep the skimmer in the RSM to give more space in the refugium. by the looks of photos from hank it is still the syphon method, to removing it all out of the back of the RSM seems pointless.

only my Opinion i could well be wrong, but i have been looking at this for the past couple of months as i would like to grow so macro algea and its a great place for copods to breed so is to feed the maderine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright everybody, so here's the update on my tank with parameters, live stock, and corals. Before I start, I just want to thank everyone who voted for me in the photo of the month contest (Ricordea theme) for the month of October 2008!

So from 10-9-08 to 10-28-08, I did 9 more 20% water changes. And on Thursday 10-30-08 (the last water change out of 14 water changes total throughout the month of October from 9-30-08 to 10-30-08), I decided to clean the rear chambers again and removed all of the salt water in the rear (8 gallons). I also changed 20% (5 gallons) of salt water in the main tank which was a total of 13 gallons removed from the tank that night. On Saturday 11-1-08, I noticed that a few of my corals were stressed out since their polyps weren't opening up all the way, but I did a complete water test ending with these results:

Salinity = 1.023

Temp = 78°

PH = 8.2

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 20ppm

Calcium = 480

Phosphate = 0

KH = 12dkh/ 214.8ppm

I was amazed that my nitrates dropped from 100ppm to now 20ppm after doing the 14 dramatic water changes in one month - this is something that I will NEVER do again unless I have to. Anyhow, a couple of days later, my corals were doing awesome because I finally seen my pom pom xenia's pulsing again after about 3 months of trouble with my tank.

Now that it’s the month of November, I finally went back to my normal routine of doing a 20% (5 gallons) water change every Thursday. On 11-20-08, I did my third water change for the month and tested my nitrates on Saturday 11-22-08 noticing that my Nitrates are now at 20-10ppm. NOTE - on Friday 11-21-08, I gave away my African Golden Midas Blenny (the best fish I liked out of all of my 12 fishes) because it started to get too big for my tank. This could be the good cause of why my nitrates look like 20-10ppm now! I also had to get rid of my Derasa clam on 10-18-08 in replace of my Ricordea Skittles Rock. And my neon green nepthea from Palau detached itself from the live rock and is stuck somewhere under my cave - this freaking sucks ass! Anyhow, here is also a list of new corals added to my 7 ½ month Red Sea Max.

New corals added:

Red Finger Gorgonian

Yellow Finger Gorgonian (I bought another one because the one in the front of my tank keeps growing algae on it)

Lavender Sea Fan/Gorgonian with dark purple polyps

Yellow/Beige Gorgonian

Lavender/Blue Gorgonian with periwinkle blue polyps

Orange Gorgonian with tiny white polyps

Purple Frilly Gorgonian frag

Green Hairy Mushroom

Pink Fungia/Short Tentacle Plate

Lemon Tree frag

Yellow Toadstool frag

Red Zoanthids

Red Sponge (another different kind)

Pink Sun Flower

Ricordea (8 different colors added which there is a total of 12 different colors on the Ricordea Skittles Rock)

New invertebrates added:

4 Nassarius snails

2 Cerith snails

I've already purchased new Red Sea Max replacement bulbs from www.marinedepot.com and will install them on 11-27-08 which is very close to 8 months of the original bulbs. I will also be changing out the carbon with a new Chemi-Pure Elite (it’s going to be 2 months on 11-27-08) as well as a new filter floss on the same day. I will take new pictures in the month of December to see the difference with their polyp extensions and colors. I also still have to trim down and frag my Anthelia coral because it is blocking the Favites coral and Crocea clam. But for now, here are updated pictures of my 7½ month Red Sea Max:

FTS as of 11-22-08

FTS.jpg

RTS as of 11-22-08

RTS.jpg

LTS as of 11-22-08

LTS.jpg

woah you inspire me for the red sea max i just picked up today, got a great deal on it for 400$

i was wondering what mods did you do to the tank, and also are you still using the stock PCs?

woah you inspire me for the red sea max i just picked up today, got a great deal on it for 400$

i was wondering what mods did you do to the tank, and also are you still using the stock PCs?

Thanks NanoClown, But WOW...$400 with or without the stand? New or used? Either way that's a steal!!! But yeah, the only modifications I've done to my tank is install 10 custom L.E.D. moonlights to fit in between my stock PC/T5's. I set them on a timer to stay on for only 3 hours then let the stock moonlights stay on until the stock light go on. I also only added a Hydor Koralia 2 and Hydor Flo Deflector - that's it!!!

Here's a picture of my Aussie Spider Sponge with the polpys opened in the new location - one of these days I will take a right tank shot with this coral opened up with the rest of the gorgonians opened at the same time - I just can't wait!!!

AussieSpiderSpongeOpened.jpg

• Christopher Marks changed the title to RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

Archived