inTank Media Baskets

RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

hb2envy

great stuff your jedi mind trick looks a lot differnet than mine but anyway I wish i would of remembered to go to BAYMAC but i thought it was next week. Are you planning on going to the frag swap in Vallejo?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hb2envy-

WOW! The amount of life that you've been able to piece together and successfully keep in your tank is amazing! I'm moving in about a month, and consequently taking the opportunity to set up a new RSM. A very closely placed mixture with very little showing rock space is exactly what I want. I've never seen anyone pack in the variety that you have...so I have lots of questions for you.

1. I noticed you said that some of your corals were burning each other. But did you notice any specific corals that could touch each other without any negative consequence?

2. You said you were waiting to get a bunch of acroporas until you had metal halides. I currently have some acroporas, and I was wondering if you thought they would do okay in a RSM with stock lighting (assumining very high placement of course)?

3. How does your clam do and where is it placed? (couldn't find it in the pictures)

That's all for now but I'm sure I'll think of more. :D

Any help you could give would be much appreciated. I'm nervous about moving my current corals--but super excited about my new RSM.

Thanks!

Thanks “QueenOfTheReef”. Okay, so answers to your questions:

1.I seen that my Xenia’s and Waving Hand Anthelia’s would touch some of my SPS hard corals without any problems. I also saw that my Sponge corals never did any harm to any of my corals.

2.Okay…so from my experience with Acroporas in a RSM with stock lighting, I noticed that Green Acro’s like my Green Bali Slimmer does really well. But I also remembered when I had an unknown tricolor Acro it was completely brown with a very minimal purple tip that was a pinch away from the water. I also tested a Millepora in my RSM and noticed that it does color up, but not as intense as the way it should look under metal halides. So if you have many Acros, I would recommend any 150W MH (sunpod, etc.) setup.

3.If you look at the first page of my thread, you can see my Crocea Clam positioned in the top center of my Full Tank Shot picture. It recently passed away which I’ve had it for more than a year now. It was definitely under direct light and I also fed my tank with Reef Nutrition Phyto-Feast Live to help it.

As far as advice, the best advice I can give to you is to check out the thread of the King Pro of the Red Sea Max – StevieT - http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1290471

But if there are any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask! ;)

great stuff your jedi mind trick looks a lot differnet than mine but anyway I wish i would of remembered to go to BAYMAC but i thought it was next week. Are you planning on going to the frag swap in Vallejo?

Hey scottyreef, yeah....I just seen your picture of your Jedi Mind Trick which looked liked the same color in the guys tank that I purchased it from about 3 months ago. He has Metal Halides and T5's which I'm only running on PC T5 - 110W total. Once I get my frag tank up and running with my 250W MH, I will frag my mother colony, place it under new lighting, and see what happens. But yeah...I actually just purchased most of my new corals from Yourreef's booth at BAYMAC. And yeah, I'm still debating on going to the frag swap in Vallejo. BTW,...does your Tubs Lavendar and Green Polyp Monti look very similar to your new ORA Jeremy's Green Montipora?

were at BayMac too? I was there at 3

Yeah...I was there right when it started at 10:30AM and left around 2PM. I just had to get first dibbs on all of awesome corals - hehe!

I missed BAYMAC :(

Aww Kraylen, you missed out big time bro - next time man! Are you gonna hit up the frag swap in Vallejo?

Alright, so last night my good coral buddy helped me drill 3 holes in my new frag tank. I'll show pics later.

***Should I start a new thread for my frag tank setup or just add it to this thread? Let me know my Nano-Reefers! ;)

If you miss baymac, you just missed out the fun.

BAYMAC was Doooooooppppe! Hey NanoCube-boy, did you pick up anything from there?

NanoCube-boy

Yes, I did bought an Acan from our booth in BAR. Click my Banner on the thread signature to check out my frag and latest update of my tank Journal.

QueenOfTheReef
Thanks “QueenOfTheReef”. Okay, so answers to your questions:

1.I seen that my Xenia’s and Waving Hand Anthelia’s would touch some of my SPS hard corals without any problems. I also saw that my Sponge corals never did any harm to any of my corals.

2.Okay…so from my experience with Acroporas in a RSM with stock lighting, I noticed that Green Acro’s like my Green Bali Slimmer does really well. But I also remembered when I had an unknown tricolor Acro it was completely brown with a very minimal purple tip that was a pinch away from the water. I also tested a Millepora in my RSM and noticed that it does color up, but not as intense as the way it should look under metal halides. So if you have many Acros, I would recommend any 150W MH (sunpod, etc.) setup.

3.If you look at the first page of my thread, you can see my Crocea Clam positioned in the top center of my Full Tank Shot picture. It recently passed away which I’ve had it for more than a year now. It was definitely under direct light and I also fed my tank with Reef Nutrition Phyto-Feast Live to help it.

As far as advice, the best advice I can give to you is to check out the thread of the King Pro of the Red Sea Max – StevieT - http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1290471

But if there are any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask! ;)

Thanks for all the help! I found Stevie T and added him to my friends. :D

Aww Kraylen, you missed out big time bro - next time man! Are you gonna hit up the frag swap in Vallejo?

Im gonna try, but getting weekends off are hell for me. I got my own coral to sell :P

any update with the frag tank?

I'll tell you what, so my friend helped my drill 3 holes in my frag tank on 6-17-09 just fine. I then painted the first coat of black for the back on 6-18-09 and painted the second coat on the 6-20-09. Then on Sunday, 6-21-09 around lunch time, I glued the first elbow to the bulkhead just fine. Afterwards, I glued the second elbow to the bulkhead and pushed it with a little too much force to the point where the back glass cracked - I WAS SOOOO PISSSSED OFF!!! Anyhow, it was Sunday where most glass companys where closed so I played some Tennis to get my aggression out. But luckily, on Monday, 6-22-09, I decided to go to TAP Plastic and have them cut me out a 1/4 inch 18x11 black Acrylic back panel for about $15.00. So on the same day, I went to my friends house in which he helped me take off the broken glass panel and install the new black acrylic panel. We had to cut it down just a little bit to fit properly and siliconed it up. I let it dry for about 2 days and picked it up Wednesday, lastnight on 6-24-09 to do a leak test for about 2 hours which passed just fine. Then I had to get the razor and remove all of the unwanted silcone and did another leak test. So today when I get home, I will see if the ultimate leak test passes and if so, then yeeeeeeeah - I will finally be able to start the cycle of my frag tank with all of the 25-30 gallons of salt water that I saved from my water changes. I will also have to dremel out the elbows from the two bulkheads and install new ones.

can't wait to see some pics!

No doubt poidog! So yeah, I finally got my frag tank up and running on Saturday, June 27, 2009. Let the CYCLE begin - Yaaaaaay!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

Archived