Innovative Marine Aquariums

RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

hb2envy

SeeDemTails
RSM lights duh :P

Yeah I know, figured it was easier to wait for a response than look it up. :lol:

I must say I am slightly impressed with these lights, but you still need to figure out what you are going to do in like a month when everything starts killing each other.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bulbs in the RSM are T5 in diameter, PC connections they are odd balls. They are magical

Makes sense everybody, and StevieT....they TRUELY are Magical!!!

Yeah I know, figured it was easier to wait for a response than look it up. :lol:

I must say I am slightly impressed with these lights, but you still need to figure out what you are going to do in like a month when everything starts killing each other.

Yeah I know...that's why I'm super stressed out and worried. I need my frag rack up an running ASAP. See...I can start fragging, but I also want big colonies for my future tank. My plan is to frag all of my bigger SPS to make a second colony, then to start fragging from the second colony instead of the main colony - it's for backup in case one of my colonies dies. Good idea huh?

OMG read my dang thread n00b

SeeDemTails
Yeah I know...that's why I'm super stressed out and worried. I need my frag rack up an running ASAP. See...I can start fragging, but I also want big colonies for my future tank. My plan is to frag all of my bigger SPS to make a second colony, then to start fragging from the second colony instead of the main colony - it's for backup in case one of my colonies dies. Good idea huh?

They look good for sure, just make room or dont be surprised when one eats the one next to it. Frag racks are cool but I sure wish I didnt have mine, they never go away once you have them, lol.

I got an idea, you could make frags and send them to me, they will be safe for sure and you can always have any back that you want. :P

Stevie, when I look at your thread I cant stop looking at the pics long enough to read! :flower::P

Stevie, when I look at your thread I cant stop looking at the pics long enough to read! :flower::P

understood :D

Frag racks are cool but I sure wish I didnt have mine, they never go away once you have them, lol.

Amen! Im so glad I got my rack out of my DT. Once I got it almost cleared its like I felt like I had to buy more frags to fill it. Now my sand bed has frags all over. I cant win! Damn this coral stuff is worse then a drug addiction!

They look good for sure, just make room or dont be surprised when one eats the one next to it. Frag racks are cool but I sure wish I didnt have mine, they never go away once you have them, lol.

I got an idea, you could make frags and send them to me, they will be safe for sure and you can always have any back that you want. :P

I sure hope that I won't have my frag rack in my tank too long then since it's just ugly to the eye. I guess I'll just have to wait until I recieve my tax returns and then work from there to buying a new Display Tank. But yeah...if you have any cool monti's, then I'm willing to trade when the time comes. I believe you have a hulk monti and some others. Is that Hulk Monti an Aussie Monti? And I think it's kind of like the Sprite Monti?

Amen! Im so glad I got my rack out of my DT. Once I got it almost cleared its like I felt like I had to buy more frags to fill it. Now my sand bed has frags all over. I cant win! Damn this coral stuff is worse then a drug addiction!

I know man....this Coral BUG is crazy! There should be treatment available for this - hahaha!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay…so here’s another update – NOTE – I usually remember and write down the days of when something positive/negative happens in my tank as well as when I get new corals. But since all of my SPS have been getting closer and closer, I’ve been busy in the process of starting a frag/holder tank that might actually look pretty nice. I’ll give more details on that tank later. But for now here’s the update:

Death:

-My Crocea Clam died for some reason which I’ve had for about 1 year now?

- I added a Peppermint Shrimp to kill one aiptasia which it did, but now I don’t see the shrimp anymore?

-A few of my Gorgonians/Sea Fans died which I had to rearrange some of my corals.

Maintenance:

-I recently cleaned out the back chambers (3), put in new Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen, as well as will install new stock lights this month.

New Corals:

-Blue Steel a.k.a. Blue Hornet Zoanthids again since my first batch died.

BlueSteelakaBlueHornets.jpg

-There was a deal on www.reefexotic.net to buy 3 corals and get 1 free. I got 3 corals and gave my good coral buddy to choose which ever coral he wanted for $30.00 which worked out just fine. The corals that I usually get from Reef Exotic are always brown which I’m not too happy about anymore since they don’t match the pictures on his site. He says to give it a couple of days to color up which takes FOREVER most of the time! Anyhow, my friend chose the Pink Lemonade Millipora which looks a lot better and I got these 3:

-Aquaman Montipora

AquamanMontipora.jpg

But from Reef Exotic’s site, it should look like this (scroll down to picture # 6) - http://reefexotic.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?

-ATL Reverse Sunset

ATLReverseSunset.jpg

For some reason, it looks like the “ATL Reverse Sunset with Intense Lighting” - http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/sps230.html

But from Reef Exotic’s site, it should look like this - http://reefexotic.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scr...ory_Code=CAT001

-Garf Purple Bosai

GarfPurpleBonsai.jpg

But from Reef Exotic’s site, it should look like this (scroll down to picture # 3) - http://reefexotic.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?

-My good coral buddy gave me these 2 corals for free to see if they will do better/recover in my tank:

-Reef Empire Lime Fire Montipora (it suppose to have a very light green base with red polyps)

ReefEmpireLimeFire.jpg

-Reef Empire Red Porites which don’t look too intriguing, but might turn out being a bright red hopefully.

ReefEmpireRedPorites.jpg

-I went to a LFS to buy Chemi-Pure Elite and came across this interesting Yellow Polyp Orange Sponge that I just had to pick up.

OrangewithYellowPolypSponge.jpg

-I went to another LFS and decided to go to this guys house which is only about 15 minutes away and decided to pick up these two corals for a great deal.

-Tyree True Undata

TyreeTrueUndata1.jpg

-Cali Tort

CaliTort.jpg

-Me and my good coral buddy went to Atlantis Aquarium (ATL) and went halfsies on an Original Sunset Aquituberculata (1.5 – 2 inches), VERY NICE SIZE. But unfortunately, the worker broke it off the plug by accident which he gave us $10.00 off. My friend has the main piece in his tank for now until I get my frag/holder tank ready, but I was able to keep the broken portion of it just to have – hehe!

OriginalSunriseAquitaberculata2.jpg

-I also recently went to a LFS, Neptune Aquatics, and picked up an unusually Olive Green Base with Blue Polyp Montipora Digitata frag which looks similar to the ORA German Blue Polyp Digitata. This frag looks WAAAAAY better than the ORA German Blue Poylp since it’s not brown.

OliveGreenwithBluePolypDigitata.jpg

-I also found an Unknown Hitchhiker which I need help to I.D.

NewHitchHiker.jpg

***And you were ALL RIGHT about once I get my frag rack, I'm gonna end up filling it up with corals A.S.A.P. which I did and are new corals rather than making frags - LOL, but that's alright since my new Frag/Holder tank is on it's way pretty soon!

Okay, so what you all been waiting for:

-FTS as of 6-6-09

FTS6-6-09.jpg

-TTS as of 6-6-09

TTS6-6-09.jpg

so when do you get the vortech?

That's what I've been asking myself, but my money is currently going to my new "Shallow Cube Tank" 18x18x11 which is a turtle tank. It's going to be a frag/holder tank that should look pretty nice without any egg crates. I'm going to have my 18x18x11 tank (15.42 gallons) that's only going to have a 2 inch sand bed and let my free custom made 24x10x12 sump (12.46 gallons) hold all of my Live Rock, etc. That's a total of 28 gallons, but will try to find a bigger tank/bin to fit under my coffee table if so. My lighting is going to be 250W HQI setup with a customized light fixture made out of copper piping and painted matte/flat black. But I will give more details later on. Here's a beginning sneak peek of the my simple frag/holder tank. I might even put one or two nice simple islands in the shallow cube tank, but we'll see - hehehe! - DSC05345.jpg

you're tank is so unbelievable packed... and I'm loving it. Amazing tank

Thanks nate82 - packed does look good, but now is the time to start moving some over to my new frag/holder tank.

Beautiful tank Man!

Thanks for the kind comment Kennyg - right on!

Your tank looks awesome, and looking forward to checking out the frag tank.

I like the copper pipe idea for the light support, but are you worried about copper shavings falling into the tank? Guess it would depend on how you have the light attached to the pipe, but any friction might be a problem... I'm probably over thinking it.

Great job!

DSC05345.jpg

Your tank looks awesome, and looking forward to checking out the frag tank.

I like the copper pipe idea for the light support, but are you worried about copper shavings falling into the tank? Guess it would depend on how you have the light attached to the pipe, but any friction might be a problem... I'm probably over thinking it.

Great job!

DSC05345.jpg

Yeah, I was a little worried, but that's the reason why I'm going to paint it flat/matte black. But yeah...thanks on the kind comments "mrnugget"

So, I went to the 2nd annual BAYMAC - The Bay Area Marine Aquarium Conference on Saturday June 13th 2009 in San Jose, CA which was AWESOME!!! These are the new frags that I came home with today:

- Lunar Eclipse Palythoas

1LunarEclipsePalythoas.jpg

- The Original Fire and Ice Zoanthids

2TheOriginalFireandIceZoanthids.jpg

- Morning Star Montipora (I might already have this coral, but had to get it since it was for a good price)

3MorningStarMontipora.jpg

- Tubs Neon Green Birdsnest (the polyps are REALLY NEON under MH)

4TubsNeonGreenBirdsnest.jpg

- Mike Paletta Porites (this is suppose to turn blue under higher lighting)

5MikePalettaPorites.jpg

- Tyree Pink Sandollar

6TyreePinkSandollar.jpg

- Law Man Montipora (this has a purple base with dark green polyps and is dark red in certain areas under MH)

7LawManMontipora.jpg

- Aussie Reverse Sunset a.k.a. Mai Tai Montipora

8AussieReverseSunsetakaMaiTaiMontip.jpg

Now….while I was checking out all of the for sale corals, I seen two Jedi Mind Trick corals which looked VERY similar to my “So Called” ATL Fire Polyp Undata. Well…….it turns out that my “So Called” ATL Fire Polyp Undata is actually a Jedi Mind Trick. I even asked the guy that I originally purchased it from and says that it is. It’s just that when he fragged me a fresh outer piece – it was purple which is exactly how the outer piece on an actually Jedi Mind Trick is. Now the center of my Jedi Mind Trick is totally green with a purple rim and has red polyps. NICE!!!

-Jedi Mind Trick

9JediMindTrick.jpg

Yesterday I seen that my Tiger Sand Conch Snail was staying in the same place for more than half the day. Then this morning I seen 3 of my Nassarius snails eating it. I had my Tiger Sand Conch Snail for more than a year now and possibly died due to all of the extra live rock with not enough space to move around and look for food. :(

your tank is getting to crowded. Hahaha. J/k. Conch need plenty of space to move with an DSB too.

Yeah I know, it was good in the beginning when all I had was just inverts! But yeah - my frag tank is still in the progress for my crowded tank - haha!

QueenOfTheReef

hb2envy-

WOW! The amount of life that you've been able to piece together and successfully keep in your tank is amazing! I'm moving in about a month, and consequently taking the opportunity to set up a new RSM. A very closely placed mixture with very little showing rock space is exactly what I want. I've never seen anyone pack in the variety that you have...so I have lots of questions for you.

1. I noticed you said that some of your corals were burning each other. But did you notice any specific corals that could touch each other without any negative consequence?

2. You said you were waiting to get a bunch of acroporas until you had metal halides. I currently have some acroporas, and I was wondering if you thought they would do okay in a RSM with stock lighting (assumining very high placement of course)?

3. How does your clam do and where is it placed? (couldn't find it in the pictures)

That's all for now but I'm sure I'll think of more. :D

Any help you could give would be much appreciated. I'm nervous about moving my current corals--but super excited about my new RSM.

Thanks!

• Christopher Marks changed the title to RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

Archived