Pod Your Reef

RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

hb2envy

yeah i got a great deal, tank, stand, live and base rock, sand, and a koralia 1 was thrown in all for 400

ohh yeah on a side note i also scored on a JBJ nanocube 28g HQI with the nanotuners actinic mod, live rock/sand, and a jbj nano arctica chiller for 550

both tanks were used and not abused lol

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I did a Google search for a few of these new Gorgonians that I added to my tank to see if they were either photosynthetic or non-photosynthetic and came up with no information at all. I'm asking becuase my LFS did not know as well.

In picture 1, I would like to know if anyone has any info on the Yellow/Beige Gorgonian with yellowish brown polyps (top left) as well as the Lavender/Blue Gorgonian with periwinkle blue polyps (bottom center)?

Gorgonian1.jpg

In picture 2, I would like to know if anyone has any information on the orange Gorgonian with very tiny white polyps?

Gorgonian2.jpg

In picture 3, I would also like to know if anyone has any information on this Lavender Sea Fan/Gorgonian with dark purple polyps?

Gorgonian3.jpg

yeah i got a great deal, tank, stand, live and base rock, sand, and a koralia 1 was thrown in all for 400

ohh yeah on a side note i also scored on a JBJ nanocube 28g HQI with the nanotuners actinic mod, live rock/sand, and a jbj nano arctica chiller for 550

both tanks were used and not abused lol

Holy crap - BIG ups on that bro! Start a thread on both of those tanks when you're ready alright. Did you happen to get it from a LFS like Atlantis Aquarium, Aquatic Gallery, etc.....or just from a local seller?

Wow, HB2ENVY! Your tank is crazy! Looks crazily colorful and full of life. A marine paradise!

Nice job! :happy:

Thanks j'field! Man......your tank is awesome and full with colors as well, GREAT JOB. You actually have a gorgonian that I want BADLY and seen it only once at a local fish store where it was not doing too well. It's the Gorgonian with the bright neon yellow polyps. Did you pick that up at a local fish store or purchase it online? If it was an online order please let me know. Any do you still have that gorgonian and if so, how is it doing and is it hard to take care of (photosynthetic or non-photosynthetic)?

-_- Sad to say is not doing quite well. Cos all my shrooms have being growing crazily that is covers the bottom part of the stem of the gorgonian. But the top part of the polyps are still extending abit. I've got it from a local lfs. Actually is quite commonly seen over here. And quite cheap too. Abt slightly more than 10 Singapore dollars.

Is actually called a spiny seafan. And is photosynthetic type. I would say is quite easy comparing to those non-photosynthetic seafans. If not for my crazy mushroom, it would have been even more healthy. :happy:

-_- Sad to say is not doing quite well. Cos all my shrooms have being growing crazily that is covers the bottom part of the stem of the gorgonian. But the top part of the polyps are still extending abit. I've got it from a local lfs. Actually is quite commonly seen over here. And quite cheap too. Abt slightly more than 10 Singapore dollars.

Is actually called a spiny seafan. And is photosynthetic type. I would say is quite easy comparing to those non-photosynthetic seafans. If not for my crazy mushroom, it would have been even more healthy. :happy:

Yeah...I was just going to ask if your mushrooms were going to take over the bottom part of the spiny seafan. Sorry to hear bro, but you should glue to a little rock that raises it up from the mushrooms to help it out. Anyhow...well yeah...that's really good to know about it being photosynthetic and will hope to see it again at a LFS. Thanks again for the quick response j'field!!!

I think you're slacking.. I can see some bare rock.

Hahahaha, yeah I know....I'm still debating on what I should put in those spots - possibly zoos, mushrooms, or whatever else you guys might have in mind...hahaha! Thanks for the comment Pickle010

So I'm into Gorgonians, Sea Fans, and Sea Rods as you can all see. Any other advice you guys can give me to help these wonderful colorful gorgonians stay alive? What I'm feeding them all now is Reef Nutrition Phyto Feast Live, Rotifiers, and Cyclops every other day and leaving the skimmer off for 12 hours. I'm also looking for the gorgonian with the bright neon yellow polyps if anyone has it for sale or knows where I can buy it online would be a great help!!!

Holy crap - BIG ups on that bro! Start a thread on both of those tanks when you're ready alright. Did you happen to get it from a LFS like Atlantis Aquarium, Aquatic Gallery, etc.....or just from a local seller?

yeah i know, i really scored from a local seller who was moving soon.

and sure thing you would definitely see a thread for both tanks upcoming soon

yeah i know, i really scored from a local seller who was moving soon.

and sure thing you would definitely see a thread for both tanks upcoming soon

Great start so far - show the pics hehe!

Really fantastic! I'm really considering looking into an AIO and the RSM is on my list (along with everything else out there).

Go with the RSM bro - they're WAY worth it or at least to me they are!

burtbollinger

obviously it pretty, but after reading this thread twice, my surface impression is that you've filled up a tank too quickly with corals you don't even know about...I mean it is gorgeous, but its very unnatural...almost a perversion IMHO....theres no room for any sort of growth at all...its very odd to be honest...

while your skittles rock is worthy of a pic of the month, as things now stand, this tank is not worthy of TOTM consideration, even tough on first glance its very striking.

i wish you luck though...

honestly, my best advice to you is to take half the stuff in that tank, and move it to a second tank...which you might wish you had in a pinch anyway. That, and/or really figure out how to get a big sump underneath there...and get yourself a real top of the line skimmer...I think if you did that, a year from now, I'll look like a dope for doubting you....

also, you might wanna stop spending money on corals for a while, and also start thinking about spending that money backup power supplies and things like that. No way would I risk that much livestock to a power loss.

again, good luck...keep this thread updated :)

So I'm into Gorgonians, Sea Fans, and Sea Rods as you can all see. Any other advice you guys can give me to help these wonderful colorful gorgonians stay alive? What I'm feeding them all now is Reef Nutrition Phyto Feast Live, Rotifiers, and Cyclops every other day and leaving the skimmer off for 12 hours. I'm also looking for the gorgonian with the bright neon yellow polyps if anyone has it for sale or knows where I can buy it online would be a great help!!!

Any gorgonians that are not photosynthetic will most likely die in captivity. It may take several months or even longer but long term success is not possible since they all starve eventually.

obviously it pretty, but after reading this thread twice, my surface impression is that you've filled up a tank too quickly with corals you don't even know about...I mean it is gorgeous, but its very unnatural...almost a perversion IMHO....theres no room for any sort of growth at all...its very odd to be honest...

while your skittles rock is worthy of a pic of the month, as things now stand, this tank is not worthy of TOTM consideration, even tough on first glance its very striking.

i wish you luck though...

honestly, my best advice to you is to take half the stuff in that tank, and move it to a second tank...which you might wish you had in a pinch anyway. That, and/or really figure out how to get a big sump underneath there...and get yourself a real top of the line skimmer...I think if you did that, a year from now, I'll look like a dope for doubting you....

also, you might wanna stop spending money on corals for a while, and also start thinking about spending that money backup power supplies and things like that. No way would I risk that much livestock to a power loss.

again, good luck...keep this thread updated :)

Usually whenever I go to LFS’s I’ve already done my research of which coral it is that I am looking for. But there are also times when I go to LFS’s and see a striking colorful coral that I really want, I get it and ask the owner of the store if he/she knows how to care for it. If the LFS owner can tell me how to care for it, great and if not, then I’ll do my research and attempt to care for it as long as I can. And whenever I can’t find any information on the coral I have in my tank is when I ask all of you Nano-Reefers! The only way to find out is by trying!!!

My tank goal of having a very striking appearance is not for TOTM, but for my own pleasure at home and for everyone else to see. I mean, I don’t mind if people vote for my tank to being TOTM, I just want to be happy with what I have in my tank now and work with it as it stands.

It would also be nice to have another tank, but space in my room is limited. If I were ever to get another tank, then it would be the new 250L/66 gal RSM or a pretty decent size tank for my future house. But what I will consider doing after the holidays is trying to figure out what size sump I can put in the canopy to increase the water volume.

I also want to thank you for the great advice of purchasing a battery backup for all of my livestock. I’m actually a computer technician that does lots of IT support and should’ve thought of a battery backup because that’s what we use for all servers! Stupid me <- hahaha!

Anyhow…thanks again and I’ll keep this thread updated!

P.S. I actually purchased two more gorgonians (one purple frilly frag and one somewhat of a decent size golden frilly) before I read this post and will not buy anymore corals so that I can use that money towards a battery backup. But if I do buy more corals, then I will either eliminate (trade/sell/frag/giveaway) some of them to make space before purchasing. I would like a little generator, but realistically I’m not going to have one of those in my room – lolz, plus they’re just way too pricey for me! We’ll…back to reefing!

How're the lettuce slugs doing?

You know what..it's actually been about a month since I haven't seen them around :(. I actually noticed that my emarld green crab and pom pom crab are missing as well. And what also sucks is that I recently tried fixing the position of my electric flame scallop and accidently ripped off the tongue from the rock it was attached to - man...I had that for 7 1/2 months. Sorry for telling you all of my loses, but it's true! And for my little catalina goby, I just noticed two days ago that it looks like it's starving due to it's stomach shrinking. I'll keep you all posted to see if I even see the catalina goby when I feed them again on Tuesday tomorrow night.

Any gorgonians that are not photosynthetic will most likely die in captivity. It may take several months or even longer but long term success is not possible since they all starve eventually.

Yeah that's true becuase for my Blueberry Gorgonian, I believe I've had it for close to 6 months now and I'm starting to see less polyps. I'm actually going to try to target feed it more often, but then again - feeding more will lead to more nitrates...so I'm kind of in the middle there. I just hope that the polyps are open during feeding time!

Wow- a good read.

I think your tank is amazing and a great example of what you can do with a puddle.

Your tank is hands down my favorite.

Wow- a good read.

I think your tank is amazing and a great example of what you can do with a puddle.

Your tank is hands down my favorite.

Thanks MR.FEESH - I appreciate that very much!!!

So....11-30-08 is officially 8 months of my RSM. I checked my water parameters yesterday and this is what it is:

Salinity = 1.023

Temp = 78°

PH = 8.3

Ammonia = 0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 20ppm

Calcium = 480

Phosphate = 0

KH = 12dkh/ 214.8ppm

I also added new corals last week on Tuesday November 25, 2008:

Golden Frilly Gorgonian

DSC02556.jpg

Purple Frilly Gorgonian Frag

DSC02560.jpg

And here is a top tank shot for you all -

TTS 11-30-08

TTS11-30-08.jpg

i didnt know you were local (i seen your add for the reef crystals on CL)

ahahah

anyways looking good maybe we can swap frags sometime after i get my RSM up and running

• Christopher Marks changed the title to RyanB's 1 YR. Old MIXED RSM-Updated FTS PIC! P.15

Archived