Pod Your Reef

The Offical Acan Thread!

Ocho Cinco

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a nice one, after I get my new tank up I'm going to add to my collection, what do you guys usually pay per polyp?

That one I posted was $78 shipped. It was on sale at bluegrasscorals.com. I think it's like 3 big polyps and 4 babies. I never really counted though. It looked bigger when I bought it.

I got my 2 new Acans today. So far their not looking that great. I bought them off of someone on here and am not all that happy with them. I ordered 2 heads of each, one I believe only has 1 head and is cracked, the other I think has 2 and is also cracked. I have to wait until they open up more.

That looks like a nice one! Once it opens more it'll look even better. Who's Cindy?

Yes, it does look better when it's happy. We just glued it down so I suppose it's going to take some time to acclimate again.

Cindy == SWMBO == the love of my life == wife of 30 some years. :wub: (I think I have kids older than you ;) )

It's her tank. My tank is a 55g planted tank. I'm her technical adviser and I carry the 5 gallon buckets up from the basement. And keep up with the board. (She prefers to lurk.)

-hank

Yes, it does look better when it's happy. We just glued it down so I suppose it's going to take some time to acclimate again.

Cindy == SWMBO == the love of my life == wife of 30 some years. :wub: (I think I have kids older than you ;) )

It's her tank. My tank is a 55g planted tank. I'm her technical adviser and I carry the 5 gallon buckets up from the basement. And keep up with the board. (She prefers to lurk.)

-hank

Oh ok, that makes since. Yeah I'm 20, so you probably do. :lol: SWMBO?

Oh ok, that makes since. Yeah I'm 20, so you probably do. :lol: SWMBO?

24 and 28. She Who Must Be Obeyed.

So are most people getting their rainbows online or at their LFS??

Can it get any prettier than Pships??

I think I posted this on my tank thread but I'll post it here because this is the Acan thread. The question is, will a acan skeleton that is cracked form back together and be ok? I have one polyp that is cracked and one that 1/4 polyp that fell off a frag that I got.

I'm going on vacation for a week tomorrow with no CPU. So when I get back I'm sure I'll have a lot of reading to do!!!

petkingdom619

where do most of you buy your corals online? i seen blugrasscorals, but im looking for others too. preferably not to expensive , i spend about 100 everytime i buy corals so that about avg.

also how fast do most acans grow?will they spread to other rock?mine is on a very small peice of rock that s almost full. i have one not so pretty kinda brown/purple with green centers.

I've used these, in order of best deals an best service:

1. OTHER MEMBERS HERE

2. Fragglereef.com

3. Reefhotspot.com

4. Bluegrasscorals.com (when there's a sale)

5. Mr. Coral

6. LFS

OK so NOBODY is helping me out with a connection! Talking with Bluegrass Corals right now but whew....I could blow an entire paycheck there!

So what is the most you have paid for your Acan?

Nice Hank and Cindy! How many Polyps?

Thanks, I like the way it looks too. It has three full grown (fully colored, anyway) polyps and two that are just starting to color. You can sort of see them on the left side. Their feeding apparatus seems to be fully developed and they will extend their feeder tentacles before the others. (And have no trouble ingesting mysids.) Based on that observation, I would suspect they are teen agers in Acan years. :D

-hank

revaltion131

My tiny contribution, only acan frag I have right now. I might try a bowerbanki as my tank progresses. This is a little indo frag from Omen. I've only had it for about a month or so, but it's doing great so far.

629-4.jpg

I would loooove to add one of the rainbow frags sometime down the road, just depends on whether or not I can make myself save for them. :lol:

I did get some good information on the Rainbow morph of an Acan. Supposidly the colors can change depending on lighting and such. Also, just because....for some reason some can lose their colors. So it seems to be the luck of the draw as to getting a piece and hopefully it keeping it's vibrant colors.

I'm still having a hard time deciding what I want and how much I want to spend. Sure would be a bummer to spend a bunch of money on one and then it lose its color!

Has anyone had this happen to their piece? (I so feel like I'm talking to myself on this thread!! ;) )

Sure would be a bummer to spend a bunch of money on one and then it lose its color!

Has anyone had this happen to their piece? (I so feel like I'm talking to myself on this thread!! ;) )

Go on...

We're all listening.

:D

Well... I'm glad we're happy with more ordinary stuff for the most part. Like our garden variety Aussie Acan Lord. Here's a better picture of the smaller polyps all puffed up from feeding:

DSC_8636-PP.JPG

Picture wise I'm getting a lot of mileage out of these. :D And when they grow in and start covering that rock, I'm sure that we'll enjoy them as much as any more expensive variant - though I will admit that some of the others I've seen here are absolutely stunning.

-hank

Thanks for listening Hank! ;)

Are you calling me snobby cause I'm wanting a fancy Acan?? I honestly don't know what I want but you have to admit that some of these on here are fantastic!!

Thanks for listening Hank! ;)

Are you calling me snobby cause I'm wanting a fancy Acan?? I honestly don't know what I want but you have to admit that some of these on here are fantastic!!

Why is it always about you? :huh::o;):D

I suppose I wonder if folks get so wrapped up in the various color morphs that they forget that they're all beautiful!

-hank

Archived