Cultivated Reef

The Offical Acan Thread!

Ocho Cinco

I don't really think there are any ugly acans. They might not be as colorful but they still look cool. I have a frag that is that nice but still a acan. Yes, there are ugly babies. Any of you like Seinfeld? There's some episodes about ugly babies. To all the new pics, the look AWESOME!!! And Cesar, nice collection!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I posted this on here or somewhere, but is it ok to attach a frag that is on a thin "base" to a piece of LR rubble?

Probably a stuipd question, but anyone? Has anyone done it? How does it look?

Probably a stuipd question, but anyone? Has anyone done it? How does it look?

sure why not? its just like glueing down the skeleton.

sure why not? its just like glueing down the skeleton.

That's what I figured, I just didn't think it would look as good. This way it getis if off the ground or so I don't have to attach the actual coral to the LR.

The one polyp that I said was broken, part of it fell off today. It's prob like a half polyp. I glued it to a small piece of lr. Will I get anything out of it?

Thanks for the kind words. I agree, my Acan isn't ugly but I can only hope that it colors up as nicely as y'alls beautiful specimens. Under the actinics my colony looks greenish blue so I am definitely guessing it is going to be some sort of green. TJ, I look forward to seeing your mint green Acan.

Cesar, hope you don't mind if I reference your beautiful coral, but maybe someone here can explain to me...

What is the difference (besides color or morph names) between this type with the defined edges:

Aussie02.jpg?t=1214354092

And the type like these where it all blends together?

Rainbowwhitecenters.jpg?t=1214354183

Is it origin, tank conditions, etc? Also, I have one that looks as if it should be seperate polyps, but rarely extends beyond the skeleton. Is this also a different type?

Thanks for the kind words. I agree, my Acan isn't ugly but I can only hope that it colors up as nicely as y'alls beautiful specimens. Under the actinics my colony looks greenish blue so I am definitely guessing it is going to be some sort of green. TJ, I look forward to seeing your mint green Acan.

Sorry for the delay, I got caught up in some stuff last night and didn't have a chance to get those new pictures up. I will try for tonight!

Cesar, hope you don't mind if I reference your beautiful coral, but maybe someone here can explain to me...

What is the difference (besides color or morph names) between this type with the defined edges:

Aussie02.jpg?t=1214354092

And the type like these where it all blends together?

Rainbowwhitecenters.jpg?t=1214354183

Is it origin, tank conditions, etc? Also, I have one that looks as if it should be seperate polyps, but rarely extends beyond the skeleton. Is this also a different type?

From what I can tell they is two different species.

Acanthastrea lordhowensis (first photo)

&

Acanthastrea echinata (second photo of the multicolor)

circusordie16

reread the question: theres nothing too different between them, same care for both species. however, i think echinata is more aggressive so watch out for that.

reread the question: theres nothing too different between them, same care for both species. however, i think echinata is more aggressive so watch out for that.

What I got out of it is that he wants to know what are the deciding factors of the acans colors. I think...

What I got out of it is that he wants to know what are the deciding factors of the acans colors. I think...

no. he asked about coral structure, so tj told him they are two different types of species of acan. his question was answered.

I agree, but I don't think that's what he ment when he asked the question.

I believe he was asking about the actual polyps themselves being defined from one another, however until he chimes in and lets us know exactly what he meant, it is completely debatable. He did ask about origin, and tank conditions which do not define the inherent polyp shape or color (other then the bleaching of the coral), which leads me to think he may want to know where the coral came from geographically, which also leads me to answering with their latin names since that is the real defining factor between those two Acanthastreas. Some folks don't realize there are different species, and just know the common color morph names of the corals, so I did my best to answer his question.

I believe he was asking about the actual polyps themselves being defined from one another, however until he chimes in and lets us know exactly what he meant, it is completely debatable. He did ask about origin, and tank conditions which do not define the inherent polyp shape or color (other then the bleaching of the coral), which leads me to think he may want to know where the coral came from geographically, which also leads me to answering with their latin names since that is the real defining factor between those two Acanthastreas. Some folks don't realize there are different species, and just know the common color morph names of the corals, so I did my best to answer his question.

Yeah, who knows? Hopefully he'll post something back.

Sorry guys...SHE :flower: will clarify...

My question is probably more along the lines of what TJ is saying. What is the distinguisable features between the acan lords, echinata, etc. Most of the acans I see for sale online are listed as "orange crush", "rainbows". and other such fancy names. When some are shown as just a single polyp, how would I know what to expect as they grow out. I have the three different types in my tank, and I prefer the larger, more ripply (sp?) polyps, but I don't know what type that is if I ever want to order any more.

I hope that made it a little less confusing.

My question is probably more along the lines of what TJ is saying. What is the distinguisable features between the acan lords, echinata, etc. Most of the acans I see for sale online are listed as "orange crush", "rainbows". and other such fancy names. When some are shown as just a single polyp, how would I know what to expect as they grow out. I have the three different types in my tank, and I prefer the larger, more ripply (sp?) polyps, but I don't know what type that is if I ever want to order any more.

Here's my answer to the question. I'm not sure how right I am but here it goes, acans and echinatas are different species of Lords. I think the colors are just morphs, I'm not sure how they morph (anyone?) or how a color is decided. If you want the ripply ones, you want Aussies, which are the majority of what is pictured above. Please help me explain of correct me if I'm wrong!

ask the seller to give you a closeup of the flesh, the oral disk, and a scale shot (maybe with a ruler behind it?) if possible, ask to see skeleton, because the skeleton will be different depending on species.

Nick's Reef
Here's my answer to the question. I'm not sure how right I am but here it goes, acans and echinatas are different species of Lords. I think the colors are just morphs, I'm not sure how they morph (anyone?) or how a color is decided. If you want the ripply ones, you want Aussies, which are the majority of what is pictured above. Please help me explain of correct me if I'm wrong!

You've got it all wrong!!!!!!! Acanthestrea (acan) is the genus and enchinata or lordhowensis (lord) is the species. So lords and enchinatas are different species of acans not lords. enchinatas seem to have a mat of polyps and lords have more defined single polyps growing together. There is also Acancanthestrea maxima Acanthsetrea bowerbanki and Acanthesrea hillea. Maxima and bowerbanki polpyps look like a lord but very very large. Hillea looks like a enchinata with very large polyps.

You've got it all wrong!!!!!!! Acanthestrea (acan) is the genus and enchinata or lordhowensis (lord) is the species. So lords and enchinatas are different species of acans not lords. enchinatas seem to have a mat of polyps and lords have more defined single polyps growing together. There is also Acancanthestrea maxima Acanthsetrea bowerbanki and Acanthesrea hillea. Maxima and bowerbanki polpyps look like a lord but very very large. Hillea looks like a enchinata with very large polyps.

Opps, I got it backwards. Thanks!!!

Nick's Reef
if possible, ask to see skeleton, because the skeleton will be different depending on species.

+1 My red aussie lord was sold to me as an echinata but after lots of reasearch and taking a sample of the skeleton to the lfs I id it as a lord. I also purchased what I was told to be a dying purole and green aussie lord. But from looking at the dead skeleton and the size of the polyps you could tell it was a grape slurpee micromussa. I got a great deal on it too, it was $35 for a 3" square and me and lilredneckman split it for $17.50 a piece, it is now recovering quite well and growing baby polys very often.

Archived